Alternator relocation

Chadh1203

Established Member
Wondering if anyone has tried and successfully relocated their alternator to sit underneath their intake? I have several things working against me, one is I am running 3/4" thick motor plates that rule out trying to put the alternator in its stock location. Second, my turbo is positioned to the passenger side which rules out the Power By Hour kit that mounts on the passenger side. Pics below for my mock up. Any help or guidance would be appreciated
6e7f3fca7333810634e99b9e38530b23.jpg
8802fc6d1739ebca23f132c135a0284d.jpg

Last edited:

XW Coyote

Established Member
Are you planning on running the Factory Aircon?.

If not I'm pretty sure Ford Racing make a kit that mounts the alternator there.

Who made the headers for you?

Last edited:

kennytent

Established Member
good looking setup.

What engine plates do you have?

I've been looking at the same issues, and doing some research myself. Have not come up with a solution yet.

I sub'd and figured I'd give it a bump

Chadh1203

Established Member
Nah still trying to figure out something. Had to send back the alternator I had to buy one that will support 8500+ rpms. I will let you know what I figure out

Chadh1203

Established Member
Looking at the powermaster XS Volt 582038. Obviously not a factory fit and will have to fab something up. It's a 200 amp

kennytent

Established Member
Found a place Js Ultimate alts on Facebook, they had a pic up of a direct fit 300 amp, they made for a '15. Seems like they do a lot of custom work. Have not contacted them yet.
The one way clutches appear to be a lot more prevalent than I knew, several companies, including Gates offer different models, doesn't seem like it would be much of a deal to retrofit to any unit.

kennytent

Established Member
I was doing some more research. The f150 coyote alternator is rated at 220 amp. I found a rating chart (don't have it in front of me right now), but it puts out around 200 amps at 200 degrees hot rating. The chart had temperature and rpm vs amp output. It should be enough to figure out optimum pulley size for max rpm.

I haven't done the math yet, but I did pick one up at a local salvage yard for $65, with core charge. I needed something for mock up purposes, but may end up using it.
Hope to start on some engine plates, when I get an oil pan and a couple of other things together.

Chadh1203

Established Member
That's interesting, I had no idea the f150 would be rated at a 220. That's definitely good to know. I ended up going with Powermaster XS volt alternator and will have to something fab' up to make it work as it won't fit in the stock location (obviously). Hoping I can just turn it around backwards setting off the motor plate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread