Another Mustang Down

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Are you waiting on used OEM parts to finish this ?
No sir. I finally won that battle. OEM parts are on the way. They received two salvaged fenders and promptly tossed them into the scrap pile.

The manager of the shop used to own a coffee house and bar. I played a lot of music there. Every part my insurance sent via LKQ was rejected. He said he wouldn't put that garbage on his own vehicle.

My dad raised me in the auto paint and body industry. He owned a shop for 40 years. I managed every aspect of that business for the last 5 of its existence. I know the BS insurance companies pull. I also know the short cuts shops try to take to make a few more dollars.

The alignment has been done. The car was inspected on the frame rack. Everything is in spec and checking out properly.

I do have an issue that will likely come home as a disaster. I welded in a pair of Flowmaster Super 10s a while back. The driveshaft hits the exhaust unless the rear diff is jacked up equally with the car, or if the cat back is unbolted from the midpipe.

Every time the car is lifted to get under it the guys complain. I do need another exhaust, but I have what I have right now. Exhausts are not free.

I expect broken hangers, bent pipes, or worse. I hoping for no damage though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
The bumper cover made it to the shop.

I really wanted a Roush 360R front end. That wasn't in the budget though. I had to fight to get to the point I'm at.

IMG950464.jpeg
IMG950465.jpeg

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Why is all this taking so long? Did they not know you needed a windshield a month ago?
They knew the day the car arrived that it needed a windshield. The car itself has yet to be completely painted. Every job and part for this car has been a pain due to insurance. They wanted to skimp on things, and neither the bodyshop or myself allowed anything other than OEM parts.

The headlights aren't OEM, but that was because I wanted clear corner reflectors.

I may put the car inside of a huge bubble when I get it back to protect it from any other nightmares.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
They knew the day the car arrived that it needed a windshield. The car itself has yet to be completely painted. Every job and part for this car has been a pain due to insurance.....

I may put the car inside of a huge bubble when I get it back to protect it from any other nightmares.

A garage would offer better protection. ;) I take it you either don't have one or the bays are already taken by other vehicles?

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
A garage would offer better protection. ;) I take it you either don't have one or the bays are already taken by other vehicles?
Technically I do not have a garage. I have taken over the neighbor's garage. They moved about a year ago and gave me permission to store the car there.

My daughter ran the car over because she wasn't expecting it to be in the yard. Lessons learned.

As for other vehicles; I wish. I really need another truck, and my wife is going to need a car soon. The Mustang became an unintentional daily driver.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You're right about the appearance without a hood scoop, but soon enough your GT will be properly repaired and out on the road again strutting its stuff. ;)

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Glad things are moving along Revvv.

Semi-serious question...are you getting your daughter a backup camera for Christmas?
I am really hoping by Christmas things will have picked up financially. She starts college next year, and I need to send her in something more reliable than the Jeep she has used to crush my car with.

As for the back up camera; it would need to apply the brakes. When she realized the car was hit, she panicked and pressed the gas pedal to the floor. The Jeep did what Jeeps do. It climbed effortlessly over the front fender and wheel.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Another angle.

Hood chips will be sanded out today or tomorrow and primed.

I am missing my car, but I think this is worth the wait. Soon the accident will be forgotten as the old GT is back in my yard to be polished and waxed.

I am actually missing driving the car.
IMG950677.jpeg

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Painting technic is a bit strange,
I would have thought they would spray the fender hood and door , at the same time , and blend further into the door .
The clear would definitely end at the end of door .
Any way glad it is going back together for you .

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Painting technic is a bit strange,
I would have thought they would spray the fender hood and door , at the same time , and blend further into the door .
The clear would definitely end at the end of door .
Any way glad it is going back together for you .
Welcome to the world of waterborne paint.

Believe it or not, the fender does not have the final coat. It has been trimmed out and is ready to be blocked and wetsanded yo be resprayed.

I used to paint the same way when I ran my dad's shop. I would lay down a couple coats of paint and let it cure. Then I would go back and do a final blocking using 800 grit paper. This made sure the color was perfect. It also ensured that all flaws were removed in dark colors.

It isn't cheap to paint in this manner, but the end result is worth it. You are provided with paint that looks like glass.

Users who are viewing this thread