Any 2.3 TVS cobras in the 800whp range here?

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
Anybody here have an e85 2.3 TVS cobra making around 800whp here? Would that be pushing that blower a little too hard? I am torn between the 2.9 whipple of a 2.3 TVS. I know I could get there with the whipple/e85 combo with the right pulley setup pretty easily, especially the gen 3. Is it possible to do the same with the TVS? There is a pretty significant price difference between the 2. I have a fairly built motor with degreed stock cams at stock compression.

Thanks in advance.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
So you decided to keep the car and just dump more money in it huh? Haha, been there.

If anyone has it's probably @MalcolmV8 he running aftermarket cams and stupid high compression but self tunes so I doubt he has numbers. I don't think you'll do it with stock cams and compression. It seems stockish engines (no head porting, cams, 10+ compression) max out in the ~750 range.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Yeah I made over 800 whp and 730 ft/lb I think it was on my old 10.5 CR motor. That was with only 18 degrees timing too. Motor was built though, ported heads, cams 10.5 CR etc. Pulley combo was 2.8/4 lb. E85.

New motor is 12:1 CR but no numbers on it yet. Also 2.3 TVS.

Not sure you'd hit 800 whp with a stock motor and a 2.3 TVS. Most guys crack 700 though.

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
So you decided to keep the car and just dump more money in it huh? Haha, been there.

If anyone has it's probably @MalcolmV8 he running aftermarket cams and stupid high compression but self tunes so I doubt he has numbers. I don't think you'll do it with stock cams and compression. It seems stockish engines (no head porting, cams, 10+ compression) max out in the ~750 range.

Yeah I did lol. Going to finish all of the plans for I have for it and just drive it till the wheels fall off.

That makes sense. I figured it would be a long shot, but to be honest I don't know much about the 2.3's capabilities. I've always had my heart set on the 2.9, but just recently started considering other options just in case I was missing out on something.

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
Yeah I made over 800 whp and 730 ft/lb I think it was on my old 10.5 CR motor. That was with only 18 degrees timing too. Motor was built though, ported heads, cams 10.5 CR etc. Pulley combo was 2.8/4 lb. E85.

New motor is 12:1 CR but no numbers on it yet. Also 2.3 TVS.

Not sure you'd hit 800 whp with a stock motor and a 2.3 TVS. Most guys crack 700 though.

That's awesome, and those are some crazy numbers. I won't be opening the motor up any time soon unless I have to (like if something breaks lol) so I guess it would be best to just stick to the 2.9 whipple plan. 700whp would obviously be no slouch, but if I don't just shoot for the 800 wheel mark now I'll end up disappointed and spending even more money in the long run.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Yeah I did lol. Going to finish all of the plans for I have for it and just drive it till the wheels fall off.

That makes sense. I figured it would be a long shot, but to be honest I don't know much about the 2.3's capabilities. I've always had my heart set on the 2.9, but just recently started considering other options just in case I was missing out on something.

IMHO, a lot has to do with what fuel you're running. Are you planning on running E85?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
That's awesome, and those are some crazy numbers. I won't be opening the motor up any time soon unless I have to (like if something breaks lol) so I guess it would be best to just stick to the 2.9 whipple plan. 700whp would obviously be no slouch, but if I don't just shoot for the 800 wheel mark now I'll end up disappointed and spending even more money in the long run.

A lot depends on what you want from the car too. When I had that 10.5 CR motor setup I stuck a 2.9 Whipple crusher on at 30 PSI. The top end was sick as hell but even spinning it that hard the 2.3 TVS had more torque (excitement to drive) at lower and mid range RPMs. Those TVS blowers are just so impressive in their power band and range and definitely make for a very fun to drive car.
If you're just chasing a number like 800 whp on the stock motor you'll need the 2.9 Whipple but honestly the 2.3 TVS would be my choice for a street car.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
A lot depends on what you want from the car too. When I had that 10.5 CR motor setup I stuck a 2.9 Whipple crusher on at 30 PSI. The top end was sick as hell but even spinning it that hard the 2.3 TVS had more torque (excitement to drive) at lower and mid range RPMs. Those TVS blowers are just so impressive in their power band and range and definitely make for a very fun to drive car.
If you're just chasing a number like 800 whp on the stock motor you'll need the 2.9 Whipple but honestly the 2.3 TVS would be my choice for a street car.

Bingo!

Understand different platform but there are MANY GT500s making 800+whp with the 2.3 TVS and also several over 900 whp that come to mind right now.

Getting to 900+ will take cams but not 800.

If you are 100% planning to go e85, I would max pulley it (upper and lower) along with full exhaust (headers and full 3" exhaust).. run it around 22* timing on e85 and i'd bet she belts out 800 or damn close.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Understand different platform but there are MANY GT500s making 800+whp with the 2.3 TVS and also several over 900 whp that come to mind right now.

Yes but I'm pretty sure he's running a 4.6. His signature says Terminated 99 GT. 8 and 900 whp on STOCK 4.6 motors is not even remotely possible with a 2.3 TVS that I know of.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Maybe you missed the part where I recognized the "different platform".

I know of several 4.6 terminators that currently make well over 700whp that still have room to grow.

Is he running a factory forged terminator motor?

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I think thats a little ambitious 800 hp out of a 2.3 and jus because a couple have done doesn't mean ur gonna be able to do it and if u are for how long?

that wud mean the 2.3 is ALL IN!!!! running ur motor on the edge like that is a sure recipe for disaster! can't imagine the heat sink!

98_Undertaker

Established Member
2.9 for power 2.3 for a good fun car. Shouldn't have to worry about it with cp pistons and arp everything. We also put a big gap on the rings so your good whichever way you decide.

tarheels15

Established Member
X2 to this. I have been preaching this for years. Big blower cars are not responsive down low like smaller blower cars are. A 2.3 will crush a 2.9 in the low end and midrange.

tarheels15

Established Member
If its a 4.6 you will need high compression,ported heads,cams.lts full timing e85 and keep in mind you will be pushing that blower extremely hard and possibly overspinning it. At the end of the day it is still a 2.3. You can only do so much with it not saying that its not a great blower because it is.

305Cobra

Established Member
Ive had the vmp and for the money and performance i would go tvs if your willing to spend the 5 grand of a whipple and are worried about a # i will advice you to go turbo which is the best thing you could ever do to a terminator at just 20 psi on a big single turbo you make 1000 + and very reliable and the block would thank you more.. will run cooler and guarantee you no wipple or tvs cobra would come close to you ;)

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Ive had the vmp and for the money and performance i would go tvs if your willing to spend the 5 grand of a whipple and are worried about a # i will advice you to go turbo which is the best thing you could ever do to a terminator at just 20 psi on a big single turbo you make 1000 + and very reliable and the block would thank you more.. will run cooler and guarantee you no wipple or tvs cobra would come close to you ;)
True my brother's 100% stock longblock '04 motor with a 75mm T4 BW turbo makes over 900rwhp thru a C4 and runs 9.00s.
If staying blower, can't wait to see the TVS2650 results.
-J

305Cobra

Established Member
True my brother's 100% stock longblock '04 motor with a 75mm T4 BW turbo makes over 900rwhp thru a C4 and runs 9.00s.
If staying blower, can't wait to see the TVS2650 results.
-J
And thats with an old tech borg warner im sure if he swaps to a 76 precision he will be in the mid 8's all day. And yes i hope tvs develop it for the cobras

Users who are viewing this thread