Any bourbon/whiskey drinkers here?

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
I have had plenty of expensive whisky and more cheap whisky then I can remember. Always a rock solid contender that I keep in the liquor cabinet is Makers Mark. Regular, 46 or cask strength are rock solid hitters. Great to sip straight or over ice. Alternatively mix well as an old fashioned or with coke and not soo pricy you feel guilty doing it. If you go jack go single barrel, gentleman's is not worth the cost. Other solid choices are to find local 'brew'. Stuff that comes from small batch distillery's. Usually will run $50+ per bottle, may or may not be the best, but it broadens the pallet. If you can find it, Breckenridge distillery's bourbon is fantastic.

jaxbusa

Established Member
Great topic. I have been to Jack Daniels, George Dickel and Tennessee Legend distilleries and had a taste of many products. It's all subjective. Just find a liquor store that has some of those small sample bottles and buy as many as you can. It seems to me that anything over 80 proof (40% alcohol) is asking for harshness if enjoyed straight up. That isn't always true though. Tennessee Legend had a 100 proof bottle called White Lightning that was made from 100% corn. It was smooth and I enjoyed it straight up. In contrast, I had a bottle of George Dickel number 12 that was 90 proof and burnt like aircraft paint remover. It was made from 84% corn, 8% rye, 8% malted barley.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Angels Envy, Larceny, Woodford, Basil Hayden's as said. Wigle if you can get it.

If you decide to spend more money, Whistle Pig.

Sent from my iPhone somewhere in Mexico

MFE

Established Member
Two excellent, smooth whiskies that are easy to find and won't break the bank are Trail's End Bourbon and Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye.

bigmoose

Established Member
I got a bottle of crown 75th monarch for $20 which is a steal. Delicious too. It's what I drink when I don't drink my 18 yr Johnny gold

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
Angels envy, basil hayden and Buffalo trace. You will not be disappointed

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
If you're looking to spend no more than $40 per bottle, stay away from Angel's Envy. Most places charge upwards of $45-$50 per bottle, plus tax.

If you're just starting out, Buffalo trace for $25 bucks is awesome.

I prefer Eagle Rare which is about 32 bucks. Great flavor and actually tastes like a bourbon. Whistle pig is overrated for the price of $80 a bottle.

I've got some Blanton's at home and will try it soon. Also have a bottle of Knob Creek 2001 Batch 2 which was around $150 a bottle.

Buffalo Trace
"Four" Roses single barrel - stronger side, but, great flavor
Eagle rare 10 year - Best flavor of all listed below. Smooth, rewarding flavor.
Russells Reserve - Stronger side, but, great overall.
Breckenridge - smooth, easy drinker
Knob Creek single barrel - stronger, but, fairly smooth, good taste.
Bulleit bourbon - great taste, little bite
Makers 46 - sweeter side
Elijah Craig - Too sweet for my liking, but, decent

All are under $40 a bottle and worth it.

Certain bourbons NEED to be cut with a small cube to bring out more of the flavor. I put small cubes when I drink a glass with about 4-5 oz of bourbon in it.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Certain bourbons NEED to be cut with a small cube to bring out more of the flavor. I put small cubes when I drink a glass with about 4-5 oz of bourbon in it.

Absolutely.

Every Bourbon you buy, you should try it with an ice cube to see what it does to the flavors.

I started doing that when I was 21 I think, and I have never bought Jack Daniels since.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I prefer the Canadian whiskeys, forty creek sells for about 24bucks in Montana, smoother and better taste than crown. The basil Haydens was also very good

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Anybody into cognac?

That's what my dad and I drink lately.

I like Sidecars which use Cognac. I have a bottle of Tequila I need to open. El Mayor Extra Anejo, $125/bottle as it is special order.

Sent from my iPhone somewhere in Mexico

Users who are viewing this thread