Anyone buy a Nintendo Switch yet?

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I appreciate the recommendation for the Wii and zelda. it would be a budget friendly option to only play that.

I am looking into emulators for PC. They have been successfully playing Wii U games like the new zelda. I dont know where to start with that stuff but i will research it and try to do it.

As for the comments on issues with the new system. They all do. You always hear much more about the bad stuff people experience compared to the good. If i was planning on purchasing a switch, that would not stop me.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
They gave up on the Wii U pretty fast, what does that tell you about Nintendo? If the Switch sales drop in the upcoming months, do you really expect its support to continue strong?

Nintendo made a shitty, over-priced console with a terribly drawn out release schedule that could have been salvaged to a certain degree if it didn't take a very long time to release quality titles. The first true Mario game was released one year after the console was released. Sure Nintendo had a 2d Mario at release but it was almost the same thing as the Wii version. Mario Kart came out one and a half years after release, Smash was just shy of two years and Zelda? Hell, Zelda came out over four years later. After witnessing how well a console is received with a killer app Nintendo might have taken the release schedule a bit more serious.

Buy a Wii U (refurbished) directly from Nintendo for $200 but hope the game pad never breaks. Buy it from ebay and hope the game pad doesn't break. Even years later when it has a decent selection of 1st party, not many want it and who can blame them.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Just found out they’re already working on a Breath of the Wild emulator for PC running at 4k.

Considering the game has only been out for a week and there’s already an emulator running on PC is amazing. I might go this route myself as well. No timing on when it will be released but I can wait for it, especially if its as great as everyone says it is.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I'd be ok with a 1080 emulator for it. I dont even have plans for a 4k monitor any time soon. That would require a new monitor and a second 970 card.

Last edited:

blackbolt2003

Established Member
Depends on games, Zelda is said to run for only 3 hours. Remember as well, a tablet is like a PC, battery is being used for multiple tasks in the background aside from the games. A gaming handheld pretty much is using it for mainly one thing. It also has a 6.5~ inch screen so its really not a big screen with a 720P resolution, pretty sure a current Samsung tablet is running a least double it’s resolution on a bigger screen.

As far as those issues, those are the one’s being reported. I was keeping it real closely because I was interested and glad I cancelled my pre order. Dissappointed though.

Its already having trouble and having indie games being delayed that been out on other consoles for a while. Zelda can’t run properly at 30 FPS, and no, that whole running 60% off the dock isnt crap. You do realize when its running off the dock its only outputting at 720P.

It is crap...it's only a spec, the game looks and plays amazingly well when undocked. Have you picked it up and played it? The 720p looks gourgeous. It's very hard to tell the difference between 720p/1080p on a 50" screen. What kind of eyesite do you need to see that difference on a 6" screen? I would argue that 90% of the population would not see any difference between those resolutions on a 6" screen.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...a-breath-of-the-wild-switch-vs-wii-u-face-off

Look, I wanted this console to succeed, I had mine pre-ordered before I canceled it. Lets not be blind here, its a new console thats more expensive than a PS4 or X1 with weaker internals. Sure you can say it has features that other 2 dont have but its also missing a ton of features that others do have at a more expensive price.

The Switch has failed? It's had the best Nintendo launch ever with 1.5 million sold in the first week. It's a brand new portable/home console with new games. How could it not be more expensive than consoles released over 4 years ago? Why do people feel the need to compare the Switch to other consoles? They are not comparable IMO. The PS4 and Xbone are home consoles only and run their own IP's. They appeal to gamers who want to run the latest online FPS at the highest resolution. Nintendo is not looking to grab that same customer base. They are looking for gamers who want to play the latest fun game at home and on the go.

Far as devs wanting to make games for this console? How’d that work for Wii and Wii U? And im speaking as Wii owner myself…. 3rd party games? non existent…. Indie games? Already exist for other conoles with a better experience.

Both the Wii and Wii U were expensive/difficult to develop for. The Wii sold over 100 million consoles. I would say the lack of 3rd party support did little to affect Nintendo and the Wii. Indie games would give a better user experience on the Switch for the hybrid aspect alone.

Far as mobile gaming on phones? Well, you can sync it to a bluetooth controller. Its been done with a PS3/PS4, no need to use the touch screen for it.

And you can run AAA titles on your phone? Zelda is the first AAA title(most 10/10's ever on Metacritic) to run on a mobile platform. I have put over 100 hrs into this game and will probably double that. It also has DLC's coming out in the summer and winter.

FYI, this is using pretty much the same processor as the Nvidia Shield TV thats $200. Funny thing, its actually a downclocked version of it. The Tegra X2 chip is almost out and IMO, Nintendo should’ve waitied for that chip instead, wouldve been MUCH better. Dont be actually surprised if you see re-version of it, ala Switch Pro lol.

You have to realize the CPU specs don't matter to the avg consumer looking to play these great Nintendo games. If the system is stable and plays the games they will buy it. You are just repeating the same anti-switch BS you have read online. If the Switch continues to sell Nintendo will probably have hardware revisions. They had at least 2 revisions to the 3DS.

Last edited:

blackbolt2003

Established Member
Just found out they’re already working on a Breath of the Wild emulator for PC running at 4k.

Considering the game has only been out for a week and there’s already an emulator running on PC is amazing. I might go this route myself as well. No timing on when it will be released but I can wait for it, especially if its as great as everyone says it is.

That sounds like a legit alternative. Go the free route. No need to pay for a game that took over 5 years to develop.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I enjoy Breath of the Wild on my 80" TV. Can't imagine cramming it into my 24" monitor.
Agree and that’s my point on using a game that great (from what ive seen) to using it on a handheld. Far as using it on monitor only on PC? No problem, simple input switch on my TV will display my PC at 1080P on my TV. I have a Logitech controller for PC and can also use my PS4 controller. So it’ll be like im playing it from a console.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
How could you possibly enjoy this game on inferior hardware? I only play games on systems pushing 4.2 Tflops. Anything less and GTFO. lol
I’m pretty sure his point was why bother playing it on such a small screen when you can play it on the big screen lol

blackbolt2003

Established Member
Agree and that’s my point on using a game that great (from what ive seen) to using it on a handheld. Far as using it on monitor only on PC? No problem, simple input switch on my TV will display my PC at 1080P on my TV. I have a Logitech controller for PC and can also use my PS4 controller. So it’ll be like im playing it from a console.

It's about convenience. I am no longer anchored to my couch to play amazing games. I would prefer to play on my 65" TV with surround sound as well, but sometimes it's also nice to play on the go or in bed.

1080P??! You don't have all 4k TV's in your house? Why would you run an inferior resolution TV when 4k is out?

BlueSnake01

Established Member
He said he enjoys playing Zelda on the Switch, on a large TV. I'm wondering how he can enjoy playing on inferior hardware.
He said that because of the whole PC port being on a 24 inch monitor. Nothing to do with inferior hardware when there are no options to play it outside of it? Read the post, I was considering buying a Wii U just for this game because IMO the Switch is overpriced to play a game that is pretty much the same on an older system.

It's about convenience. I am no longer anchored to my couch to play amazing games. I would prefer to play on my 65" TV with surround sound as well, but sometimes it's also nice to play on the go or in bed.

1080P??! You don't have all 4k TV's in your house? Why would you run an inferior resolution TV when 4k is out?
Agree and thats my intention to play it.

Eh, i mostly have plasmas and 4k hasnt really taken off yet. Its just upscaled 720P for broadcast TV so no reason to rush. Plus, my main TV is a Panny 65VT60 and the only way that one is being replaced is with an OLED TV with Dolby Vision HDR when its reasonable priced. I am in no rush to get one right now lol

blackbolt2003

Established Member
There are things the Switch does better than PS4 and Xbone that you don't hear about.

- The day 1 update for the OS and Zelda took less than 5 minutes to download and install.

- Resuming Zelda from my play last night takes about 5 seconds from waking the system and pressing a button 3 times.

- A cold boot and load into Zelda takes less than 1 minute.

- There are no initial software installs when you purchase a new cartridge. It's like the old days of gaming. You pop the cartridge in and play.

- You can play with multiple different controller configurations; joy cons, joy cons with grip, joy cons on the switch, pro controller (most comfortable controller I've used)

blackbolt2003

Established Member
He said that because of the whole PC port being on a 24 inch monitor. Nothing to do with inferior hardware when there are no options to play it outside of it? Read the post, I was considering buying a Wii U just for this game because IMO the Switch is overpriced to play a game that is pretty much the same on an older system.

Agree and thats my intention to play it.

Eh, i mostly have plasmas and 4k hasnt really taken off yet. Its just upscaled 720P for broadcast TV so no reason to rush. Plus, my main TV is a Panny 65VT60 and the only way that one is being replaced is with an OLED TV with Dolby Vision HDR when its reasonable priced. I am in no rush to get one right now lol

The price between the old Wii U and Switch is negligible.

You intend to play Zelda BOTW on an emulated PC version, at an undetermined time/level of quality. This is most likely the best game developed in the past 20 years and you have no intention of playing it on Nintendo system(s) it was designed and tested for?

You aren't really making your case for Nintendo not using a new CPU/GPU in their new console. You are happy with TV's using 20 year old plasma tech when brand new OLED tech exists. (I agree btw, I love my Panasonic plasmas).

BlueSnake01

Established Member
The price between the old Wii U and Switch is negligible.

You intend to play Zelda BOTW on an emulated PC version, at an undetermined time/level of quality. This is most likely the best game developed in the past 20 years and you have no intention of playing it on Nintendo system(s) it was designed and tested for?

You aren't really making your case for Nintendo not using a new CPU/GPU in their new console. You are happy with TV's using 20 year old plasma tech when brand new OLED tech exists. (I agree btw, I love my Panasonic plasmas).
Wii U can be have for $100+ less with games vs a Switch console only. If the difference between both is very minimal, why pay more? I dont intend to play as a handheld so that feature is meaningless for me.

Being on an emulated PC with the proper port, ill be happy and ill gladly give my money to the devs to continue their work on games. Have no problems with that. IF the game was to ever come with the Shield TV, ill gladly buy that over a Nintendo console and support the game there. At least the Shield TV will get ton more usage outside of a console.

Far as TV’s, im happy with how they look. 4k might give a cleaner look but my Plasmas’s hold their own very well overall especially my VT60 in blacks, color, and viewing angles. Like the Switch, I see no reason to upgrade to any TV unless its a major upgrade like said TV.

blackbolt2003

Established Member
They are terrible IMO. Terrible build quality. Terrible gimmicks. Terrible hardware. Terrible game selection right now (besides Zelda). Wait a while if you want to get one or go for xbox 1.

I disagree. The build quality is top notch, if you call gimmicks different and fun ways to play games, yes it has gimmicks. The hardware does everything as advertised and then some. It has some really fun launch games besides Zelda: Blaster Master, Snipperclips, 1 2 Switch, Shovel Knight, Binding of Isaac, and I am Setsuna. It has a more solid launch lineup than the 3DS did and it has now sold almost 50 million units.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Wii U can be have for $100+ less with games vs a Switch console only. If the difference between both is very minimal, why pay more? I dont intend to play as a handheld so that feature is meaningless for me.

Yes & No.

The first result on ebay if you type in Wii U is (like on its own site) a refurbished Wii U for $200 sold directly by Nintendo. Of course there are other sellers with prices being all over the map for console, console with games, etc.., If you start to look at what auctions have bids, the cost of shipping, etc.., the price gets very close to the Switch. My Wii U was packed up moments after UPS knocked on the door on the morning of 3/3/17. based on the online prices of the console, mine with a number of digital games would command decent coin. !st person Nintendo games rarely drop in price so anyone buying a Wii U will be paying at or near full price for a new copy of a game and still a considerable price tag if they buy new.

Purchasing a Wii U doesn't have many pros.

Users who are viewing this thread