Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

svt662

Established Member
YA ME! To this post. I have been waiting for this car and the wait gets longer and longer so I may have to buy a Smellcat or something else. :(

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member

svt662

Established Member
I'd at least wait till Detroit auto show to see if an announcement is made.

Latest Drivetrain and Horsepower Speculation?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=16174&share_tid=1146850&url=https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/index.php?threads/Latest-Drivetrain-and-Horsepower-Speculation?.1146850/&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have waited this long so maybe I will wait a little longer but if something comes my way I'm done. I will Never sell my 13 Shelby that was a ordered car one more for my kids! Thanks for your post....

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
The $64,000 question is "what engine platform they would use in the next GT500 if it ever gets released?". Coyote, Voodoo ......... Echoboost! Maybe there is a top secret all new engine architecture program in the works that Ford had been quietly been tooling-up for which will free them from being bootstrapped to the mod motor legacy design allowing for something more substantial than 5 liters. I also think 2020 is the year they finally discover the Lockless Monster but that's just me! The S550 GT500 story is beginning to read like an Agatha Christie mystery what ever it is, if at all will be a big surprise.

I posted some time ago about Ford's Union Contract at the engine plant including language about the 5.2 being continued and about the Super Duty 6.2 getting a new displacement derivative. Being Ford I'd imagine it would be smaller than 6.2. Ford has been on a weight savings kick so there's a fair amount of chance it will be an aluminum block for the Super Duty. Even if it's not they could have an aluminum variant for Mustang. Custom cams and tuning plus boost gets them to 750+ in the least costly way as Super Duty budget would take care of almost all of the development costs. Just the custom cam designs, tuning, and durability tests would run on the new GT500s budget. So it's feasible.

Ever since '96 and especially since '07 MY the superlative Mustang model has always had a substantially different engine than any lower model. A Voodoo or Coyote may lack that level of differentiation they're looking for. Ford has already played around with the 6.2 in a Mustang (Project 777) and S550 is the first chassis changeover since then. That's why I still think there's a chance we seee an entirely new engine in the new car. Assuming Ford hasn't axed the entire project due to Wall Street pressure...

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I posted some time ago about Ford's Union Contract at the engine plant including language about the 5.2 being continued and about the Super Duty 6.2 getting a new displacement derivative. Being Ford I'd imagine it would be smaller than 6.2. Ford has been on a weight savings kick so there's a fair amount of chance it will be an aluminum block for the Super Duty. Even if it's not they could have an aluminum variant for Mustang. Custom cams and tuning plus boost gets them to 750+ in the least costly way as Super Duty budget would take care of almost all of the development costs. Just the custom cam designs, tuning, and durability tests would run on the new GT500s budget. So it's feasible.

Ever since '96 and especially since '07 MY the superlative Mustang model has always had a substantially different engine than any lower model. A Voodoo or Coyote may lack that level of differentiation they're looking for. Ford has already played around with the 6.2 in a Mustang (Project 777) and S550 is the first chassis changeover since then. That's why I still think there's a chance we seee an entirely new engine in the new car. Assuming Ford hasn't axed the entire project due to Wall Street pressure...
While I agree with this thought that a new F-series engine would spread the costs and make this feasible, I'm wondering if Ford is willing to rethink their V8 plans in regards to bore centerline. The Coyote and the modular platform has always been displacement challenged due to the tight bore center lines. The 6.2 SOHC had large bores and HUGE potential. Developing one V8 for use in both F-series and Mustang makes better sense than both Coyote and a separate 6.2 based truck motor. An all aluminum DOHC, TIVCT, dual injection, large bore motor would be the pinnacle for modern muscle, much greater potential than pushrod LS/Hemi (although both sweet designs).
Combining best of both worlds from Coyote and 6.2 is logical, and I think Chevy may have trumped us if the rumored DOHC large Corvette motor comes to fruition.
Still, so many variables, but it will be interesting to see to say the least.
-J

TERMN8U

Established Member
I had dinner with a guy tonight that is related to a high up GM executive. He says the new mid engine Corvette is going to be over 1000 hp. If true that thing will shat all over the Ford GT. :(

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I had dinner with a guy tonight that is related to a high up GM executive. He says the new mid engine Corvette is going to be over 1000 hp. If true that thing will shat all over the Ford GT. :(
No way 1000hp, but nice to dream.
-J

TERMN8U

Established Member
I thought BS too, but he says %100.... Idk, time will tell. I want a new GT500 more at the moment.

Famine

Established Member
Um yeah with pice alone. Weird how cheap the corvette is vs gt, yet the mustang is cheaper than the camaro. It would be nice to afford a gt like you can even a zr1

Sent from my SM-G920V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
The 12 zl1 was running 11 before gm changed the tune. What I'm saying is things change.

Even with that we've seen 1k hp cars before and they are not the fastest just based on power. It could very well blow the GT out on most tracks or it could be very competitive. Time will tell. What does the chiron run at LS?

TERMN8U

Established Member
What does the current Z06 run?
Now make that mid engine add 350-400 more hp.....

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
While I agree with this thought that a new F-series engine would spread the costs and make this feasible, I'm wondering if Ford is willing to rethink their V8 plans in regards to bore centerline. The Coyote and the modular platform has always been displacement challenged due to the tight bore center lines. The 6.2 SOHC had large bores and HUGE potential. Developing one V8 for use in both F-series and Mustang makes better sense than both Coyote and a separate 6.2 based truck motor. An all aluminum DOHC, TIVCT, dual injection, large bore motor would be the pinnacle for modern muscle, much greater potential than pushrod LS/Hemi (although both sweet designs).
Combining best of both worlds from Coyote and 6.2 is logical, and I think Chevy may have trumped us if the rumored DOHC large Corvette motor comes to fruition.
Still, so many variables, but it will be interesting to see to say the least.
-J

Exactly. A side benefit of the 6.2 architecture would be the shorter bores and wider bore spacing leading to a longer but narrower engine which would package more easily. (Shortening the V)

I'm too lazy to Google right now but there was an article in a truck magazine (Truck Trend?) where they slapped ProChargers on Ford and GM 6.2 liter trucks and dyno'd them. It was about 80-horse and 50 ft-lb in favor of the Ford. Same boost, same day, side-by-side. To let that engine not make its way into a production Mustang is a huge missed opportunity.

Seems the 5.2 rumors are more credible. Hopefully they at least throw in rods that can handle the stresses of above stock power without being prone to failure. Also, upgrading those oil pump gears as you're quite familiar with.

I'm also curious about heat dissipation around the exhaust valves on 100mm bore spacing. They achieved pretty fantastic results HP/L-wise on the Ford GT and I'm wondering what they did to keep those valve temps down. That was the limiting factor on Trinity. A redesigned head could be the solution but were the 5.4/5.8 heads really that maxed on coolant flow? Is there much more room in the cooling passages on the newer Voodoo heads to make a significant difference?

Users who are viewing this thread