Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

bpmurr

Established Member
Hopefully Jamal and Dave were able to keep the bean counters at bay. They have wuite a reputation to keep up.

Did they? GT350 Tech Pack/Base says maybe not. I can’t see a bunch of engineers wanting a track car without the transmission cooler. Seems like bean counters might have won out to hit a price point.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Let's be honest... the GT350 Tech car was a sham to the car buyers and a money grab.

No other production Mustang made has problems running a 30 minute lap session except the GT350 Tech car. They knew it was a problem, which is why the nany sensors were installed and the car goes into a self-preservation mode.

And the only reason they fixed it in the middle of 2016 is because some people took FoMoCo to court over it. But they did ZERO for people who already own them.

The bean counters got their way once... and they ended up in court. With all the bad press they got on the Tech car, it would be insanely stupid for them to bring anything to market that isn't 100% ready to play.

You guys have no idea how embarrassing it is to be is to be on the track with what is supposed to be the better car, and 10-15 minutes in, you have to pit due to overheating issue while the GT and eco-boost run laps for an hour straight. At one point, I was tempted to light the ****ing car on fire and roast hotdogs over the flames!

Btw, it for sale if anyone is interested. LoL

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Supercharger and cooling is 110lbs being liberal. Bigger brakes is a wash, material dependent. The real weight will come from the new nano coating to prevent rock chips and acid staining from zl1 and hellcat owners dust tails and shittalk if this car isn’t competitive but priced high like them.

Ford just isn’t going to do that. I just know it. They cant, they wouldn’t, its inconceivable! No Johny, no! Don’t sell out, don’t do it!!!!!!!!!

Right. Yeah, I’m not holding my breath. Then again it’s a business and people would still buy the car and they’d make more money, and people would just go aftermarket if they wanted to be faster. They are in a very strong position to put a simple blower setup together, on a known engine, with a cpc, and nice aero/chassis mods with an a10 option and some special leather/badges. It’ll hit the test numbers it needs, and the $75k price point will have lots of profitability, and only the fanboys will be slightly unmoved. Dodge and Chevy already paved this road. Simple base engine, decent boost setup, chassis and tech (cheap) adaption. Ford putting CF wheels on the gt350r was the last straw that broke the camels back in my opinion. That was a huge cost that probably ran the profits right out the window. The demand hit stratosphere mainly for things like that and the fpc, but be honest, no business can sustain that kind of a product development hurdle for limited production vehicles priced lower mid comfort area delivering highly premium options. Try producing and selling an oled tv priced half way of the oled market to get an example of my view point. Great for the customer but the shop will fail if there isn’t money made to continue growing the shop. Can’t buy fruit for a dollar and sell it for $1.05 regardless of volume. Inflation is 3% and competition grows, it doesn’t stagnate. A 2% profit is nothing. The company looks fine on paper but misses growth opportunity, and maintenance/repair, etc and slowly dies. Happens to many small businesses that don’t price growth and survival updates into their fixed costs. They just price rent/monthly/yearly bills and cogs and wages and call it a profit afterwards.

Ford has guaranteed strong sales on their hand. It’s a (uncool but very profitable) game plan to just wait 5 years and put out something to quell demand that is very profitable for them. They likely lost or broke even on gt350/R program, and have no desire to do that again.

At the least, they have put the car this far out just for the buying demand to swell back up. It’s easy to move 1000 or 3000 cars a year like a demon or zl1, but ford was moving 5-10,000+ halo mustangs a year at those prices, I can’t see them setting up to lose millions so as to win/keep the hearts and minds of enthusiasts.

They already have profits in the bag, and a 50mpg mandate within 7 years. Their hand is a tough one to play.

Last edited:

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
The internet hasn't exploded, so I assume there hasn't been an official annoucement.

explode.jpg

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Any light you can shed on his reason for this ?

The few times I’ve met him he seemed to be in his glory and very proud of what his group was putting out.

I think because he has career aspirations beyond the job at Ford Performance. It's a nice job but it's a niche. I think he probably wanted to get back to mainstream before he became pigeonholed as the "performance" guy. He's a younger guy and has time to move up the food chain. Engineering director of unibody vehicle programs is a much bigger job, opens more possibilities. Hau Thai Tang was Mustang chief engineer a little over a decade ago. Now he's an EVP in charge of every product Ford builds globally. Dave was Mustang CE until 14.

I also think you'd have to be blind not to see the writing on the wall industrywide. There's not going to be a big push to recruit people for leadership who've been busy building FI tire melters when governments around the world are increasingly hostile to anything that doesn't draw it's power from a plug.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
The internet hasn't exploded, so I assume there hasn't been an official annoucement.

View attachment 1457684

The press is not invited until Wednesday. From Friday (yesterday) to Tuesday, it's "industry" only.

Expect nothing until Wednesday. I actually expect nothing... period. I feel like there is no way an avail is kept this tight under wraps.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I also think you'd have to be blind not to see the writing on the wall industrywide. There's not going to be a big push to recruit people for leadership who've been busy building FI tire melters when governments around the world are increasingly hostile to anything that doesn't draw it's power from a plug.

I've done quite a bit of reading while researching Tremec and a potential DCT for use in the GT500 and it has been a bit of an eye opener. Much of it from numerous driveline symposiums held around the globe within the past few years. It has changed my view on where we are headed as I see electrification/hybridization coming much sooner and to a much broader mix. I was initially shocked when I saw mention of dates and percentages of internal combustion engines that are still expected to be in use in a few years. For you gas burning aficionados, things are looking very gloomy.

Sooner or later we will get to the point where we don't see an ICE in something like a GT350/GT500 being offered anymore. At least not as the primary source of power. Not looking forward to it.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The electric car is a false promise. I ask any body who has played chess well and is still an honest liberal to simply play out this chess game knowing these three variables are the stock of the endgame.

-kWh “prices”
-electrical grid and infrastructure
-economic activity in a post humanism environment.
-sustaining the species
-sustaining the planet.
-wards of the state clauses
-rationing requirements

Sleep well.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
I’m still holding out hope that the car will be the top dog like it was in 2013.

If I didn’t buy a 14 gt500 I would have bought a hellcat. I never would have bought the 350 or the 350r.

I want ford to go back to the top but I’m not sure ford wants to or cares about being the top pony car anymore. I’m just gonna have to wait like the rest of you slackahs.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I want ford to go back to the top but I’m not sure ford wants to or cares about being the top pony car anymore.

The "top" is a matter of perspective. As far as the manufacturers are concerned, it is mobility, connectivity, and community. Or as we see it, the enemy of powerful internal combustion engines. They pony car segment may be the last to hold out but you are going to see sweeping change there as well. Hackett has a plan. And it has already begun.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
The "top" is a matter of perspective. As far as the manufacturers are concerned, it is mobility, connectivity, and community. Or as we see it, the enemy of powerful internal combustion engines. They pony car segment may be the last to hold out but you are going to see sweeping change there as well.
In my perspective Dodge is at the top right now with the demon.
The zl1 1le is right behind it and the gt350r is third. The new gt500 to me has to beat the zl1. It does not have to beat the demon in a straight line if it does everything else best.

And that’s my prediction for the car. A better than the zl1 1le in all aspects but not as fast in a straight line as the demon. If they do that it’s a huge win for Ford. I don’t care what transmission they use as long as those parameters are met. If it takes a dct then throw the thing in there.

Remember back when Chevy came out with the zl1 and they thought that was game set match but then Ford cucked them with the 13?

I want to feel like that again.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
When you say Dodge/Demon being at the top, what specific category are you talking about? I'm asking because you also mentioned the ZL1 1LE and the GT350 which were intended for something completely different.

SlowSVT

Established Member
My "inside" sources tell me the new GT500 won't have a steering wheel or a gas pedal. You tell your iPhone where you wanna go and how fast you wanna get there. Rumor has it, it's going to be a new more powerful Intel processor under the hood! I just hope they come out with a version in Android.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
When you say Dodge/Demon being at the top, what specific category are you talking about? I'm asking because you also mentioned the ZL1 1LE and the GT350 which were intended for something completely different.
For me it just means if I have money in hand which one do I go out and buy.

For me it’s the demon right now.

I know they are intended for different needs but all are still pony/muscle cars. They still share the same dna to me.
One might excel where another is weak but for me I still compare them. If this is wrong so be it.

Maybe for what I want the new ford will be better than the demon. I do not know what ford will reveal.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Id say Dodge is on top with the Challenger/Charger cars. No fun 4-door cars from Ford other than the boring Sho or even more boring Fusion Sport. Chevy SS is a nice car but kinda bland looking.
True.
PLUS,.....FCA has the Jeep SRT8, the Trackhawk and the Durango SRT. All top performers in their categories. Chevy and Ford can't compete with those as far as performance in that group.

Users who are viewing this thread