Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

jtfx6552

Established Member
This will become even more apparent with the next generation Vette.

I believe you are correct, unfortunately.

I don't follow vette rumors much, what is the C8 rumored to cost? I bet it's 150K [edit:for the tricked out version]. Too bad Ford doesn't have anything to compete.

I don't view the GT as competition due to cost and scarcity.

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
That c7 z test shows speeds reached. Someone handy with the internet just needs to compare peak speed in a few areas to a gt350r’s run.

I will say I’m very impressed that same day, a gt350r was only half a second off a full option grand sport. That to me is the real story. Yes it’s down 66hp, but a: it’s a vette, not an economy sports coupe. B:it’s 250lbs lighter, on wider tires outback, with less weight on the nose.

Just a thought, what would a gt350r run if it had 335’s out back? A square or near square tire is ideal for the track, but adjust the alignment and add some caster up front, pull a little toe at the rear to loosen it just enough, and have at it.

One car stickers for $68k, the other for $88k. There is entirely a reason why demand and market conditions pushed one car to $150k at one point meanwhile you can get a grand sport with a $5k rebate.

My experience behind the wheel of well sorted mustangs and mostly stock corvettes gives the drivability and enjoyment to the sorted mustangs. Full suspension vetted I’ve driven feel very nervous with the management systems off, meanwhile I can one hand on the wheel drift a well sorted stang. The spooky weight distribution on a vette in motion gets nervous. The c7 is better because it stepped closer to 53/47 again a z06, but if you hop in a c6 and get after it, dynamically it’s about 48/52, and coupled with leafs, it’s interesting with the nannies off.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The c7 is Leagues ahead of the c6. What a corvette needs is down force and very sticky track tires. The car is setup to exploit its mass into turn in and sticking the apex. Most mid ships are setup this way, and you have to have stick to keep it from getting wild.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Track and drag variants.

upload_2018-1-16_16-19-42.png

conceptmachine

Established Member
I believe you are correct, unfortunately.

I don't follow vette rumors much, what is the C8 rumored to cost? I bet it's 150K [edit:for the tricked out version]. Too bad Ford doesn't have anything to compete.

I don't view the GT as competition due to cost and scarcity.

I've been on the c8 boards and they are only talking high 60s, low 70s for the base mid engine, which, even being a ford fanbois, is going to kick ass. the high HP versions are expected around 150, yes. being that the gt500 and ME are going to come around the same time... I was gung ho about this gt500, now with what's being spilled with weight and power, release dates, the mid engine looks lije a hell of a value, but that's all speculation. You know that the mid engine is going to be a very well balanced car and only 3500 lb area.

Dawgman

Established Member
Freezing the video, the 500 appears to have a wide body. Wider tires and the ceramic brakes indicate it will be a track car and a straight line beast.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Today I talked to the dealer I bought my car from and asked about the 2019 GT500. No official word. He did say that the 2019 Ford Ranger was coming out in May or Jun 2018. Hope springs eternal. :)

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
A few things on my mind regarding the upcoming GT500. I hope it comes with:

- A provision for a front tow hook (a rear would be great as well). The european S550 Mustangs have them and there is little excuse at this point for a track focused Mustang to not have one.

- The ability to set the default of any auto-engine shutoff to off. The shutoff is an extremely annoying "feature" on many new vehicles as much as some say that it isn't a big deal to turn it off every time they start the car. I sense this car will come with the feature if there is no manual transmission.

- Something similiar to GM's PDR (performance data recorder). I tracked a 1LE with it and it was great to pull into the paddock after some hot laps and instantly review your last session. Great to see all the relevant data overlayed as well (throttle position, brake modulation, G's, lap time, etc.). The ability to simply remove a memory stick from the dash and pop it into your computer to save or share is huge.

-
A sound system that actually kicks ass. Enough of the years of garbage we've had available either standard or optional. You can listen to the engine all you want but should be able to purchase a system that actually impresses instead of one you have to make excuses for.

- The opportunity to buy a spare tire, even if only through the service division. Difficult when you have staggered tire or wheel sizes but I'm simply asking for something that can be used to get you back on the road. The pump and can of goo are cute but don't cut it for somebody taking the car on a lengthy jaunt.

- A simple to use valet mode that cuts power/speed way back. If any car could take advantage of this it is the upcoming GT500.

- The opportunity to tick an option box for a rear seat delete without having to get raped via a Super Duper model. Really not that difficult to produce one ala the Boss Laguna Seca or GT350R. One could argue it would raise the cost of the rear seats but at this point in my life, I'm tired of these types of arguments or excuses when the difference in monies is minor.

I'm hoping the car is equipped with a CF driveshaft standard and that we see a CF wheel available as well. These are items Ford has the capacity to make available. A CF shaft would have to work with this specific drivetrain combination (it apparently didn't in the GT350) and any CF wheel would have to have sufficient volume as well as being packaged with the appropriate Magride software (as well as ancillary hardware such as matching sway bars, etc).

Bottom line, I'd like to see some great hardware available without having to purchase a different version of the car that would likely be available in far more limited numbers.

On Edit - it'll be interesting to see if Ford makes any changes to the oil pump or cam drive gears. At these power levels I hope to see some extremely robust hardware be it in the engine or driveline.

Breitling

Established Member
Tob, great post as usual. I took your post and took the liberty to add a numerical rating to each that I'd like to have in order of importance to me and deleted a couple that don't have much use to me.

1) The ability to set the default of any auto-engine shutoff to off. The shutoff is an extremely annoying "feature" on many new vehicles as much as some say that it isn't a big deal to turn it off every time they start the car. I sense this car will come with the feature if there is no manual transmission.

2) - The opportunity to buy a spare tire, even if only through the service division. Difficult when you have staggered tire or wheel sizes but I'm simply asking for something that can be used to get you back on the road. The pump and can of goo are cute but don't cut it for somebody taking the car on a lengthy jaunt.

3) A sound system that actually kicks ass. Enough of the years of garbage we've had available either standard or optional. You can listen to the engine all you want but should be able to purchase a system that actually impresses instead of one you have to make excuses for.

4) A simple to use valet mode that cuts power/speed way back. If any car could take advantage of this it is the upcoming GT500.

Finally, the oil pump or cam drive gears must be upgraded from Ford from the start (it can't be that expensive) and I'm hoping for indestructible rods a la the Terminator motor. Steel crank, great pistons, etc....all the internals need to be beefy and overbuilt. CF driveshaft again just like the '13/'14's would be nice too.

Oh, and if Ford could figure out how to reduce brake dust, that would save me a ton of hard work. :D

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
FWIW, the RS came with start stop and it was a manual.

There is a chance the car will come with it and apparently the car needs to automatically start with it turned on or the EPA estimates won't account for it or some weird BS.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Oh man, I forgot about the stop/start feature.
I really hope that doesn't show up on the new GT500. If it does, I'm sure that the tuners will be able to figure out a way to disable it for good.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I appreciate and respect the response Breitling.

Austin427 said:
...apparently the car needs to automatically start with it turned on or the EPA estimates won't account for it or some weird BS

That's what I've been hinting at. The feature isn't a federally mandated requirement (yet, anyway) but often times when systems are designed to meet a standard the governing agencies do, in essence, control their operation such as the way they cracked down on Volkswagen even though the car technically passed the "test." When everyone from consumers, engineers, and regulators all agree that most dislike the feature....

tones_RS3 said:
If it does, I'm sure that the tuners will be able to figure out a way to disable it for good.

The less integrated a feature like this is the easier it is to work around it. At current you can go through factory IDS route or use software such as FORscan to access the respective control module and deactivate it. What is bothersome is that deactivating it can/could have warranty implications if there is a mechanical issue and you are looking for something that failed to be covered.

jtfx6552

Established Member
A few things on my mind regarding the upcoming GT500. I hope it comes with:

- A provision for a front tow hook (a rear would be great as well). The european S550 Mustangs have them and there is little excuse at this point for a track focused Mustang to not have one.

- The ability to set the default of any auto-engine shutoff to off. The shutoff is an extremely annoying "feature" on many new vehicles as much as some say that it isn't a big deal to turn it off every time they start the car. I sense this car will come with the feature if there is no manual transmission.

- Something similiar to GM's PDR (performance data recorder). I tracked a 1LE with it and it was great to pull into the paddock after some hot laps and instantly review your last session. Great to see all the relevant data overlayed as well (throttle position, brake modulation, G's, lap time, etc.). The ability to simply remove a memory stick from the dash and pop it into your computer to save or share is huge.

-
A sound system that actually kicks ass. Enough of the years of garbage we've had available either standard or optional. You can listen to the engine all you want but should be able to purchase a system that actually impresses instead of one you have to make excuses for.

- The opportunity to buy a spare tire, even if only through the service division. Difficult when you have staggered tire or wheel sizes but I'm simply asking for something that can be used to get you back on the road. The pump and can of goo are cute but don't cut it for somebody taking the car on a lengthy jaunt.

- A simple to use valet mode that cuts power/speed way back. If any car could take advantage of this it is the upcoming GT500.

- The opportunity to tick an option box for a rear seat delete without having to get raped via a Super Duper model. Really not that difficult to produce one ala the Boss Laguna Seca or GT350R. One could argue it would raise the cost of the rear seats but at this point in my life, I'm tired of these types of arguments or excuses when the difference in monies is minor.

I'm hoping the car is equipped with a CF driveshaft standard and that we see a CF wheel available as well. These are items Ford has the capacity to make available. A CF shaft would have to work with this specific drivetrain combination (it apparently didn't in the GT350) and any CF wheel would have to have sufficient volume as well as being packaged with the appropriate Magride software (as well as ancillary hardware such as matching sway bars, etc).

Bottom line, I'd like to see some great hardware available without having to purchase a different version of the car that would likely be available in far more limited numbers.

On Edit - it'll be interesting to see if Ford makes any changes to the oil pump or cam drive gears. At these power levels I hope to see some extremely robust hardware be it in the engine or driveline.

Amen to all, especially the data recorder, CF driveshaft and the stereo.

bpmurr

Established Member
Amen to all, especially the data recorder, CF driveshaft and the stereo.

I could care less about the data recorder since camera tech gets dated quickly. Maybe if it did 4K 60fps I’d be interested.

Breitling

Established Member
I forgot to add one other feature that I'd like to see as standard on the '19 GT500: pneumatic hood struts. I still can't believe my '14 came with a hood prop. Question: did the GT350's come with pneumatic hood struts?

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Hood props weigh less (I know, we're only talking oz) and they don't wear out over time. They have the stupid ****in one-side only pneumatic strut on the GT and when the decklid is up it's ridiculously cockeyed. Would have much preferred a prop.

Users who are viewing this thread