Anyone have a 2016-2017 Edge Sport with a plug & play tune/boost module?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have a 2016 Edge Sport (100% stock) and like it a lot. Power is very good but I'm thinking that I want a bit more. The vehicle is leased, so I'm hesitant about getting a traditional custom tune so as not to void the warranty. So I'm thinking about a tuner device similar to what I had in my previous car, a 2012 Mini Cooper S. They're usually easy to install and easy to remove when going to the dealer, and when removed there is no indication at all that the tune was modified.

Here are two that I am considering. Does anyone have any experience with either? Comments? Other suggestions? FYI, I don't want to modify the exhaust. I like my Edge to be quiet. Just want a bit more boost. And I need to be able to remove it quickly and easily for visits to the dealer. :)

1. JMS BoostMax - $309.00 Increase of approximately 50rwhp
2. Flowmaster Delta Boost Module - $239.00 Increase of approximately 26hp/36tq (less gains but much easier to install and remove)

bigmoose

Established Member
No experience with them myself but I'd avoid both. It looks like all they do is manipulate vehicle sensors to trick the ECU.

If you want to do it right get a real tune. I tuned my explorer sport while leased with a livernois tune. I ended up buying out my lease and never had a problem. I've been tuned for 65k miles so far.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah, I understand how they work. I had the same type on my '12 Mini Cooper S. For the most part it worked well, but occasionally would affect the drivability for a short time. Once it popped a drivetrain error code and the car stalled on a main road and I was fortunate to be able to get it to the shoulder. Right after I complained to the manufacturer, they discontinued the tuner.

One downside is lesser performance increases, especially with that Flowmaster device. I guess I'll hold off for now. I think if I do decide to do it, I'll probably talk to Livernois. I like the work they're doing with the EcoBoost.

Thanks for your comments.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I had the BoostMax on my wife's old Explorer Sport and it was great! Took it off when she got rid of it and sold it to a friend.

I did end up taking it to the dealer once for a valve cover gasket leak and took it off and put it back on when I got it back. Piece of cake and worked well.

The Explorer would bark all 4 tires from a 20 roll. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread