Anyone making $50k+/year without a college degree?

I think this thread proves there are a ton of jobs out there where you can make a lot of money. Some require a degree, some do not. Kind of a matter of personal preference.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I think making money all depends on your attitude, potential, ambitions and if you can work hard. College can definitely help though.

I have friends who didn't go to college and are doing quite well for themselves.

I have another friend who went to college, but can't hold a "real" job anywhere because of his bad attitude and laziness. He's 40 years old and works in a shopping mall store selling T-shirts. His "manager" is only in her early 20's. He's basically a textbook loser.

After reading some of this thread, I have a feeling that discussing education on the Internet might be another exercise in futility.

On another note, this discussion now has me wondering if there is a correlation between not going to college and posts with incorrect grammar, spelling and punctuation. :shrug:

assasyn

Established Member
NyteByte said:
After reading some of this thread, I have a feeling that discussing education on the Internet might be another exercise in futility.
That's because people get butthurt (learned that in collge) over other peoples opinions and other people post psuedo-facts.

RedfireVNM

Ahnald, GET TO THE CHOPPA
Established Member
Lol, im getting paid for sitting here watching you guys aruge...rofl i love my job

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Spartan said:
theres proof go read it seriously...

anyways im pulling out cuz like id do to a cheap date... im doing just fine without a college education... some of you need it, i certainly dont... i have better people skills and problem solving experience then most, thats why i get paid to do what i do :)

People skills? You can't hold a normal conversation, on the internet filled with a majority of people who are college educated. If you walked into an interview panel I was on, I'd tell you to apply at Albertsons, to bag my groceries.

Your thinking skills are a bit below par, "cuz yo friends have friends that make mo money than Bill Gates"...

There are always exceptions to the norm, but you'll be more competitive in the job market with a degree, and critical thinking skills. You'll also learn how to "learn", and not your trial and error bullshit. You use your "trial and error" in most critical businesses, and you'll get the boot without question.

On a side note, I've got friends also, who are dipshits (intellectually), and make fantastic money.... To each their own, I guess.

....but I would definitely prefer not to smell snatch off some MILF's car seat, at some car wash...

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
are we writing essays or chatting on a car board? :shrug: grammer and abbreviating goes out the window when you come here :lol1: not to mention fingers can be a tad slower then brain when typing ;-)

ViciousJay

Established Member
DKS2814V said:
People skills? You can't hold a normal conversation, on the internet filled with a majority of people who are college educated. If you walked into an interview panel I was on, I'd tell you to apply at Albertsons, to bag my groceries.

Your thinking skills are a bit below par, "cuz yo friends have friends that make mo money than Bill Gates"...

There are always exceptions to the norm, but you'll be more competitive in the job market with a degree, and critical thinking skills. You'll also learn how to "learn", and not your trial and error bullshit. You use your "trial and error" in most critical businesses, and you'll get the boot without question.

On a side note, I've got friends also, who are dipshits (intellectually), and make fantastic money.... To each their own, I guess.

....but I would definitely prefer not to smell snatch off some MILF's car seat, at some car wash...

ok ok ok im ALL WRONG YOUR ALL RIGHT.. make you happy... arguing on here is now getting pointless.. i let my pockets do my talking. while your paying off 10 years of education bills, ill continue on my adventure of buying toys and having fun...

WizardsCobra

LTHL SVT
Established Member
I'm in school now but don't have my degree yet but i'm making 48K +bonus a year managing a restuarant. It takes nothing but hard work and dedication. Now my goal is to become a Distract manager or work for a larger company which I can't reach without some sort of degree. I can probably only max out around $80k or so without a degree.

rkomo

Herro, Mr. Itabashi here
Established Member
Spartan said:
you missing the point... look threw the lines we dont need evey little thing detailed, do i need to caclulus to run a business? NO!

i dont know where you live but i live in a BIG METRO area where you need 4 years to be a cop... maybe in FBE they dont but here you do

WOW - you’ve convinced me! Please forgive us; you are correct. How can we possibly argue with such a string of grammatically correct & well-thought-out statements as this?

I will surely be contacting my schools Alumni Office to see about obtaining a refund…

ViciousJay

Established Member
DKS2814V said:

i think someone needs to give you a since of humor

STOP BEING SO DAMN TOUCHY JESUS CHRIST PEOPLE

Spartan said:
are we writing essays or chatting on a car board? :shrug: grammer and abbreviating goes out the window when you come here :lol1: not to mention fingers can be a tad slower then brain when typing ;-)

I'm not going to flame due to your superb taste in movies that rule, but I'm not sure what kind of company you work for. In most companies, especially in IT, the image you put forth in written communications such as e-mail, chat, databases, etc. plays a large role in what your coworkers think of you. We had a few guys on my old team that could barely put together a coherent thought into our ticketing system and you better believe everyone on the team made fun of them behind their back and thought they were morons.

ViciousJay

Established Member
rkomo said:
WOW - you’ve convinced me! Please forgive us; you are correct. How can we possibly argue with such a string of grammatically correct & well-thought-out statements as this?

I will surely be contacting my schools Alumni Office to see about obtaining a refund…

sorry it was meant to be BFE not FBE...

ViciousJay

Established Member
Euphoric One said:
I'm not going to flame due to your superb taste in movies that rule, but I'm not sure what kind of company you work for. In most companies, especially in IT, the image you put forth in written communications such as e-mail, chat, databases, etc. plays a large role in what your coworkers think of you. We had a few guys on my old team that could barely put together a coherent thought into our ticketing system and you better believe everyone on the team made fun of them behind their back and thought they were morons.

understood but i dont answer to anyone but the Head partner... and for what people think of me well some like me and otehrs dont... i couldnt care less who likes me... its not popularity contest, its all about the one with the most toys wins so to speak... i know that this is gonan keep going.. people will continue to try finding loop holes in my quotes and blah blah since the keep bringing up grammer and education cuz thats all they have to use to argue with... other then that they have no ground to stand on... theres many successive people without college in the world... END OF STORY

Euphoric One you seem like a cool guy whos got an idea of things....

to the others remember we can be civil and still have a debate...

SOLISIMO

Signal 12
Established Member
No degree here, my salary ranges from 60k base to well over a 100k depending on how much I work. Im 25 years old and owned my own house since I was 23. Im in Law Enforcement

Some jobs require degrees to advance and some dont, its not fair to say that with or w/o a degree you will make x amount. Example, my wife is HR director at a Ford dealership. and she does need a degree to advance and only with a degree will she be able to bring in 100k in the future.

Now in my field I dont find it necessary for a degree, just street smarts and basic education. I started when I was 20 and will retire at 45 with full pension and benifits:beer:

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
wals9331 said:
And once again i seem to make the lowest amount of money on here....weird...

Wrong! I made like 7800 bucks last year, but then again its a part time job and im a full time student.:D

My mother currently makes around 80k a year. She makes like 50-60k a year at her actual job and then she gets retirement checks from the military(Guessing about 80k a year total) as does my father. She's a consultant for a company basically writing manuals and books teaching people to do stuff. Prior to that she worked for Battelle, basically doing the same thing just writing the books for the military instead. When she worked in Ft. Leonardwood, MO she pulled in about 75k a year without her retirement checks. She doesnt have a college degree...but she will after this semester and then will go onto to get her masters.

My sister makes like 25k a year and DOES have a degree(political science).

Its not neccessarily whether or not you have a degree, its that you are specialiazed. Experiencs is key as always.

Im majoring in mechanical engineering so I should be at least 40k+ right out of college, but it may be around 80k due to having a friend whose father is a high up at Alabama Power. Id have to switch to electrical engineering for that though more than likely.

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
Spartan said:
not true at all my good man...i gott a friend that didnt even bother going to college and becuase he has people skills is making 70K+ as a manager at a carwash sniffing HOT MILFS seats :lol1:

as a matter of cat out of all my friends that have degrees and others that dont the ones that dont make more money... hmmmm :shrug: go , college is not what it used to be like... now any moron can get in with a f***in pen

Spartan said:
thats ok for you... needless to say with a 2 week course i can start making 100K off the top compard to your 4 years and waiting for promotions :D

I'm glad your doing the criminal justice thing, bclaws engrislh s knot ur forte.

SVT04

Established Member
Just over double that level....teaching my trade now (at a large trade school)after many years in the field.....blue collar all the way...finished grade 12 but with credits in technical subjects so no academic diploma....:burnout:

Sirhc7897

Established Member
I have a degree but I in no way got my job based on my degree...

I've got a bachelors in political science but I run the surveying side of a surveying & engineering business (about 8 million miles in the opposite direction of a P.S. degree)...

I pulled down a little over $115k last year...Been doing this for about 9 years and I turned 27 in January...Up until 2005 I was steady in the $40ish bracket but once I took over all that changed substantially...

99% of my profession is learned on the job though...I get guys in all the time with a geomatics degree (required in Florida to be a professionally licensed surveyor) who don't know squat...

Now my pay level is way out of proportion to the industry average but I'm one of the few individuals with a mastery of everything we could possibly do that works for a company that regularly inks huge state, federal and private contracts (not a little mom and pop lot surveying company)...

You see maybe one of me at every larger firm that makes 3-4 times what my counterparts at smaller places do simply because we are skilled in numerous platforms: Caice, EFB, AutoCAD LDD, Microstation, Geopak, numerous GPS software platforms, etc...not to mention sound field surveying techniques and minimum technical standards for mapping and these companies use individuals like me to spread the knowledge base over 10-15 lesser skilled drafters...

However in that same token...once I finish my geomatics degree (which I am currently working on) my pay level will go up another 50-75% or I will be made a partner to ensure retaining my services and that will involve a healthy percentage at the end of the year...

Users who are viewing this thread