Anyone Title 5?

Branhammer

Established Member
So, I'm currently a Title 32 dual-status air technician, but I found out two days ago that my job is one of the few that will be converted to Title 5 later this year. From the research I've done, there seem to be a lot more pros than cons to this situation.

All the benefits stay the same and there's a slight chance that I could go from GS-9 to a GS-11, which would be amazing but I won't get my hopes up. Other than that, the differences are that my civilian job is completely independent of my military job, meaning that if I get out of the guard, I'll still keep my job on the civilian side, meaning the military basically no longer has me by the balls. I could retire from the guard at 20 years in service and still keep working the same job strictly as a civilian until I decide to retire altogether.

Since my civilian employment will now be separate from the military, I will be wearing civilian clothing rather than my uniform during the work week and only wear my uniform during drill and on orders. Not having to shave every day will be nice because I prefer to sport a few-day scruff anyway, but to be honest, I'm one of the few that actually likes wearing my uniform every day, so I'll miss that (plus I just got promoted to E-6 last month and now I won't even be wearing the rank most days anymore!)

Another nice thing is that now I can change military jobs if I choose to and still keep my current job on the civilian side, which could give me a lot of good experience. As of now I have no interest in doing that, but it's nice to know that I have the option. I would be interested in becoming commissioned, and now I can do that without giving up my job. As a Title 32, I'd have to give up my full-time enlisted position if I commissioned, and full-time commissioned positions are rare. But as a Title 5, I could become a commissioned officer on the guard side and keep my current job on the civilian side.

As far as I can tell, there are very few negatives to this transition and a whole lot of positives. But does anyone have more knowledge on this? I'm nervous about it, but feel like I should be excited. Are there any negatives that I'm missing?

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
You are right Title 32 commission AGR jobs are stupid rare. If you give up your current Title 32 position then your post-poning your retirement by several years, as we have all seen those guys that are E-7 and 60, just retire to collect a minimum check each month from a majority M-Day career. Thats depressing.

Another route I see, is you could always commission, work your civilian job until you make O-2/3, then apply for Title 10 AGR, you will be set for the rest of your career.

Users who are viewing this thread