Are there emission legal mid pipes?

HPLouis

Established Member
I'm in NYC so we have emissions checking. I took the car for inspection and the guy said that he can't inspect the car with an aftermarket mid pipe. I showed him that it had cats and there is no check engine light, but, he said that it has to be the factory pipe.

I did some checking and I don't see any mid pipes that say, "50 states emissions legal" or have a CARB E.O number.

Do they make those?

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Not sure about emissions legal but my strategy is usually to find a small time tire shop that does inspections. Most of the time they don't even jack the car up, if there are no codes and no monitors not ready your good to go. I don't even have cats. I'm on the island though.

HPLouis

Established Member
Yeah, I gotta shop around. I have a catted Magnaflow X-Pipe and since it only has 2 cats, they didn't want to inspect it. They said it had to have 4 cats on it.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
That mechanic has no idea what he is talking about , take it somewhere else

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I'm sure his emissions laws are different than yours. Even in CA if you live in the right county you don't need to be smogged.

I know in CA there aren't any emission legal pipes for our cars. That's why a lot either leave it or swap pipes every two years. I don't think you're ever going to find 50 state legal parts. CA will always be the one PITA.

I had to replace the cats on my Expedition and I ended up finding a bolt in Magnaflow system. Magnaflow was just north of me. But because they weren't legal I had to have them delivered to my grandparents place in Az and they brought them out for me.

cj428mach

Established Member
Most states with emission testing don't allow the moval of cats. So you must have the same number and be in the same location as stock. I think all aftermarket catted mid pipes only have 2 cats instead of 4.

I hope you remember this when it is time to vote and always vote against the person with a D next to their name.

keith89

Established Member
I'm in NYC so we have emissions checking. I took the car for inspection and the guy said that he can't inspect the car with an aftermarket mid pipe. I showed him that it had cats and there is no check engine light, but, he said that it has to be the factory pipe.

I did some checking and I don't see any mid pipes that say, "50 states emissions legal" or have a CARB E.O number.

Do they make those?

Take it somewhere else. He either doesn't know what he's talking about or is just jealous. I had my Cobra on Long island for 5 years with long tubes, bbk catted-H, and magnaflow catback. Never had a problem with inspection.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
I'd like to know the percentage of I'll call them regular cars that have smog problems vs car enthusiasts. I get the point. Get cars up to smog but the thing is guys with performance cars that fail are going to just swap back to how it was when it failed w in a week or two after it passes anyways

Sent from my SCH-I545 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ur bittn

By the snake
Established Member
I have always taken mine to the dealer and have never had any problems. but I only have the borla cat back stinger.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've heard of this happening in other states, including CT. Easiest thing is to find another inspection station, ideally one that might be recommended by someone in your area. If you have to travel a few miles it might well be worth it.

Some have gone so far as to swap the factory midpipe back for the inspection, and then install the aftermarket midpipe after it passes.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Laws will be different state to state and county to county....but also, inspection places will be different. Kind of like dealership to dealership on new car warranties. Some dealers will approve warranty work even with a myriad of modifications....others will deny warranty for a simple drop in air filter. Do any research on these places if you can

NY03SonicConv.

Established Member
Go to a car cruise/show and ask around for a shop that is not so by the book. In Westchester I have to pass the same inspection as you ( 5 boroughs and surrounding counties). I had no trouble passing with a Bassani catted X. The computer will pass your car, you need a shop that works on modified cars

bullitt2735

Established Member
Not my cobra but my bullitt has long tubes, no egr, no cats. And back when I lived in NYC 2010-14 and I had no problem passing inspection at most random shops I went to in the city. Most in my experience plug in the obdII and skip the mirror check if they're busy. I think my method of looking up the cheapest place and went when they were extremely busy might have helped though.

fitforspeed

Established Member

Do they make those?

Magnaflow has a 50 state legal 4 catted xpipe. It’s pricey though.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Just a follow up since this thread just got bumped. Got my car together with the cats back in my Bassani-X with the rear monitors turned on. Passed inspection at the local Mavis no questions asked (Cammed 4.6 in a V6 Body). Sounds like OP found a really picky shop, I wonder if @HPLouis ever got it all sorted out.

HPLouis

Established Member
Hi, I got inspected at, no other than, the Ford dealer. I couldn’t believe it. They hooked it up to the machine and printed out a sticker. They didn’t put it on the lift or anything. When they saw the car they said they’re not even going to waste that time to fully inspect it since it only had 4,500 miles.

It was early in the morning and very busy. Maybe that played a factor too.

Sent from my iPad using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread