At a Crossroad

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
Ive had my OW Coupe for over 4 years now and getting ready to hit 35k miles! I have been building the car over that time to be a great all around car. Well I have done a few autocross events with the car and I have to say it is a lot of fun and also very challenging to get a chassis built in 1979 to turn and turn well. To add to the complexity the 605RWHP from the VMP TVS doesn't make it easier. I never thought I would ever hear myself say this but I have too much power!
So now here I am at a crossroad, Do I hang onto this car, which since I have owned never seen another OW Coupe in person. Put some money into the suspension and make it turn or do I sell it and pick up a C6 ZO6?

The struggle I have is The cobra is paid for, its an absolute blast to drive and when I do autocross people often comment on how I have my hands full. If I had a Vette and did well at an event the comment would be well you have a vette what do you expect? Im not going to compare the C6 Z to the Cobra because they truly are two different cars with two totally different purposes.

I also know that if I got a Z I would come out of pocket on cash and would not be able to resist the mod bug to improve upon it.

Just curious what other people have done when faced with similar dilemmas, not Corvette specific. What kept you in the Cobra? What ultimately made you decide to part ways?
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4be2.jpg

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
I don't have room for another car unfortunately.

I think if I took some power out of the Cobra with a 3.0 pulley and about $4k for new shocks, swaybars, rack bushings etc and wheels and 200 treadwear tires I would be in a different ball park. But thats also 4k closer to a Vette. Although who knows how much I have in it with the power and drivetrain upgrades!

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Don't be that guy 20 years from now talking about all the cars he owned and when you start talking about how you used to own a sick Cobra.......the next words out of your mouth will be "I wish I would have never got rid of that car."

I had wanted one since 2003, and mine is nowhere near as clean as yours. I could never see myself selling mine just because I know I would regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I would, as you said, upgrade your suspension components and put a full set FTBR bushings on the car. The cost gets you closer to Vette money yes but your Cobra is way to nice to give up.

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
Through on some CO's and other suspension goodies and I think you'll be much happier in the end.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
OP that is a VERY nice Cobra. Engine bay looks amazing!

Keep it, make it turn and enjoy.

cj428mach

Established Member
Why not just dial back the power, that's the beauty of a blower is you're a simple pulley swap away from more or less hp.

I think guys like racebronco and jimmysidecar did autocross with whipples at lower boost.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you're having thoughts of wanting to drive something different, and those thoughts are not just recent, I totally understand where you're at. In either case, I would sit on this for a couple of months and see if your mind changes. Don't do anything on impulse. Sometimes driving a car you're interested in (ie. a Z06) can help with a decision. Again, sit on this for a bit and be sure either way. JMO.

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
Don't be that guy 20 years from now talking about all the cars he owned and when you start talking about how you used to own a sick Cobra.......the next words out of your mouth will be "I wish I would have never got rid of that car."

I had wanted one since 2003, and mine is nowhere near as clean as yours. I could never see myself selling mine just because I know I would regret it.

Thank you for the kind words! I know for a fact I would be in that boat down the road! I feel the same way about a 73' RS Camaro I had that I planned on ProTouring.

I would, as you said, upgrade your suspension components and put a full set FTBR bushings on the car. The cost gets you closer to Vette money yes but your Cobra is way to nice to give up.

I have the full FTBR rear setup and it helps a lot! The car needs better shocks/swaybars and some better/tighter steering components.

So are you not able to be competitive at Auto X events ?

It sounds like you are just having the itch for a different car..

I think you need both ;)

Im middle of the pack during the auto-x events. Its probably 1/3 car and 2/3 driver haha. I did find that the car had excessive body roll and pushed pretty hard in the corners due to the high front end weight.

I would like to look into running a 295 tire square on this car to see if that helps but I maybe a minority in trying to make these cars turn instead of drag racing.

zredfire04

Established Member
I second the "get a miata" sentiment. Or an old 2.3 turbo fox body. I know a guy that passes vettes with his 2.3t fox...

You already know what you need to do to get the fox platform to handle.

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
Why not let it stretch its legs more in road racing and really let it breath at the top of 4th on the straight aways. Auto crossing is an awful short track for these cars.

That was going to be the eventual goal but I wanted to take care of the basics and I think autocross is a good way to learn.

Westbayou

Established Member
That was going to be the eventual goal but I wanted to take care of the basics and I think autocross is a good way to learn.

For sure these cars can be made to handle. My current Cobra had the full Griggs treatment thrown at it, and I have never driven a car that handles like this one does now. It was set up for autocross, and is extremely surefooted even with 598rwhp from the KB 2.2. Personally I think the cool factor is way higher with my Cobra than ANY vette.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Call Maximum Motorsports, night and day difference after you put on one of their grip boxes. Just tell them what you plan on using the car for and they will set you up

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
My '04 is lowered on Eibach 3594s, has the Stifflers FIT System, and rolls on R888s, 265/35R18 and 295/30R18. I did one autocross with it (what a waste of these cars' capabilities) and a "track night" with the SCCA at Gateway. The Carbotech 1521 pads were the only weakness at the track--they faded when braking from 140, although 130 was okay. I spent most of the time dicing with a Focus RS and a Lingenfelter-modded 2nd gen CTS-V sedan. Each of us excelled in different areas but our lap times were nearly identical.

Point being that Cobras don't need a ton of mods to do well at the track. Get yourself some R888s and do some track days. If you really feel like the car is holding you back, upgrade judiciously.

Users who are viewing this thread