B-head weakness?

Miked232

Established Member
Looks like I’ve gotta pull my heads. Wasn’t planning on doing this yet but oh well! I was looking at MMR’s rebuild kit. Any suggestions / recommendations while I have the heads off? Valve? Porting?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Ports are already too big. Valves are good from the factory unless you're spinning 8k.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

chao5.0

Established Member
Big lazy ports, will move a lot of air but they suck for N/A on these small cid engines unless you plan on turning a lot of rpm. Now with boost well they are on par with the other heads.

If you do keep the B heads just have a valve job done, blend the valve job and open the venturi up to 90% dia of the intake valves. On the exhaust side blend the valve job again.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
We don't mention the 3 letter company from California... :goes and gets spray bottle:

To answer your question, seals, guides and lap the valves. That's it.

Now would be a good time to convert to C heads and degree/advance your cams...

Miked232

Established Member
Big lazy ports, will move a lot of air but they suck for N/A on these small cid engines unless you plan on turning a lot of rpm. Now with boost well they are on par with the other heads.

If you do keep the B heads just have a valve job done, blend the valve job and open the venturi up to 90% dia of the intake valves. On the exhaust side blend the valve job again.

I’m running a Kenne Bell @ 8psi That’s how I found out I need I rebuild the heads lol. My good friend is also a Mechanic / machinist for a BMW race team. So he’s doing all the work.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Well if you already have that blower that means you need to stick with the B heads... and be stuck sans intercooler... Just get a basic rebuild done and bolt them back on. Not much of anything you can do to the B heads and thats because you don't need to.

Miked232

Established Member
Well if you already have that blower that means you need to stick with the B heads... and be stuck sans intercooler... Just get a basic rebuild done and bolt them back on. Not much of anything you can do to the B heads and thats because you don't need to.

Okay cool. My goals are only like 500ish. I’m in school for mechanics. My Instructor actually gave me the ok to rebuild my heads at the school if I want to. So this is helpful lol

Btw. My friend is already working on a setup for me involving a Lightning aftercooler and custom heat exchanger.

chao5.0

Established Member

There is a few things you can do to them to help them, fixing the horrible machining job from the factory will go a long way. I did basic things to my original B heads and it was flowing 280 @ .400 and 300 @ .500, ports remained untouched.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
True... I mean basic cleaning and valvejob.

Still love how you can't give the damn things away. I had 3 sets I scrapped before I moved because nobody wanted them. And they work so well if you set them up right

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
True... I mean basic cleaning and valvejob.

Still love how you can't give the damn things away. I had 3 sets I scrapped before I moved because nobody wanted them. And they work so well if you set them up right

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

I just scored a frehly rebuilt pair of B heads, shipped to my door, for $350

scottydsntknow

Established Member
From MHS? That's a great deal then! Fully gone through revised heads are 3x that much. I wonder if they ever have cheap 99/01 style heads...

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Damn good deal!

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Haha right? He wanted $450 shipped, but the auction said to "make an offer, worst I will say is no".
$350 shipped was a hell of a deal. They had to have cost $100 to ship.
My builder told me my heads were bad, so I started looking. Took me about an hour. :D

brucesvt

Established Member
Haha right? He wanted $450 shipped, but the auction said to "make an offer, worst I will say is no".
$350 shipped was a hell of a deal. They had to have cost $100 to ship.
My builder told me my heads were bad, so I started looking. Took me about an hour. :D

Damn that’s a hell of a deal

Good luck with the build

Users who are viewing this thread