Back to Stock Springs

bigwave

Established Member
Howdy all, I bought an 03 cobra about 18 months ago with 37k miles on it and the "paint peeling" issue. Just now got around to taking it all apart and prepping it for paint. AnyWho. It has a busted front bumper bracket and some bends along the bottom ground effects that are all IMO due to the car being lowered 1.7" , it's too low and has scrapped an bumped too many things for all the work I'm doing to it.
I want to put the stock springs back on it, and get it back off the ground a bit.
How hard is it to put the stock springs back on?
The PO had the lowering springs installed and told me when I purchased it, he had to be very carful, he said there were some local RR tracks he could not cross with it, I have found the results.
Thanks

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i have never done the fronts on these cars, but i have dropped the irs several times. so, the rears are easy assuming you have some mechanical experience. all you do is remove the rear bolts to let the subframe swing down and the springs will just fall out.

and what you described is the main reason i have never lowered my car. sure it might look better, but for a daily driver i think it's too dangerous. my front bumper (at stock height) just barely clears the regulation height of a normal street curb or parking lot bump stop.

bigwave

Established Member
Ok, thanks, I do have access to a lift and trans holder to support rear IRS while dropping it. It does give it a mean look, but..... I'm doing a lot of work and really don't want to mess it all up, we will not take many long drives but, it will be driven and not stored all the time.

keith89

Established Member
Fronts are pretty easy. Just unbolt brake calipers and unbolt strut from spindle. Use a prybar or piece of wood to pull the arm down while putting the springs in. Careful not to pry too far down if you leave the steering ball joint connected to the spindle. I have my stock coupe springs for sale if you're looking.

mr. b_98GT

Established Member
If you still want a lowered look, then you may want to consider putting in a set of H&R Race Springs with MM Isolators instead of going back to a stock ride height. It will give you a drop over stock, but not nearly as low as other springs. I have this set-up and love it. Has a lowered look, but still not so low that I'm scraping the exhaust or k-member at every dip in the road. Before, I didn't have any gap between the fenders and tires. I'd have to measure it, but it's something like 1.5 - 2" of space between the tires and fenders now. I think from stock, it's dropped like an 1" or so all around, whereas before, I think I was like over 2.5" or more. I don't worry about train tracks, steep driveways, speed bumps, or bottoming out if I have a passenger in the back (I wouldn't even try it before). I think I'm just a hair lower than a parking lot bump stop. I'll have to look at it again though, but I think if I go too far to park, the plastic chin spoiler will touch but not the painted part of the bumper.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Fronts are pretty easy. Just unbolt brake calipers and unbolt strut from spindle. Use a prybar or piece of wood to pull the arm down while putting the springs in. Careful not to pry too far down if you leave the steering ball joint connected to the spindle. I have my stock coupe springs for sale if you're looking.
I also unbolt the sway bar. Gives the control arm a little more room to drop.

Users who are viewing this thread