Bad Throwout Bearing

Caseindaplace

Established Member
Hey y’all

My 2003 cobra’s throwout bearing is squeaking. I was looking to replace it soon. The squeaking goes away if you lightly tap or rest your foot on the clutch pedal then is gone for a while until I suppose the clutch rests at a point where it decides to come back.

So my question is, I have the steeda adjustable clutch cable and quadrant. If I tighten my cable thus tightening the pedal and having a new resting point / simulating a foot being placed on it in its current position, would that be okay temporarily or even work?

See video if needed.

IMG_1497.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Caseindaplace

Established Member
I noticed today that I have a Firewall adjuster - seems to be all steeda quadrant, cable and adjuster.

I’ll play with the adjustment on the firewall and underneath the car to ensure proper tension and engagement from the floor. I hear about 3” from the floor as to when the car should feel to roll forward

Last edited:

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Grab the cable and pull it away from the firewall. You typically want a gap about the thickness of a dime between the white Teflon, and the adjuster. That should put a little pressure on the clutch fingers, and give you a good pedal feel.

I am also running a Steeda quadrant, firewall adjuster, and cable.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Caseindaplace

Established Member
Grab the cable and pull it away from the firewall. You typically want a gap about the thickness of a dime between the white Teflon, and the adjuster. That should put a little pressure on the clutch fingers, and give you a good pedal feel.

I am also running a Steeda quadrant, firewall adjuster, and cable.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Awesome I’ll work on it today. So grab the cable and pull it away. If it’s too big or too small of a gap, make the necessary adjustments at the firewall.

How about in the housing down below? Is there a particular amount of thread where we tighten the Nut that should be exposed as a good rule of thumb?

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Awesome I’ll work on it today. So grab the cable and pull it away. If it’s too big or too small of a gap, make the necessary adjustments at the firewall.

How about in the housing down below? Is there a particular amount of thread where we tighten the Nut that should be exposed as a good rule of thumb?

Unless you run out of room with the firewall adjuster, I wouldn't touch it.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

hotcobra03

Established Member
I don' think that cable has threads on end at fork..

I went without firewall adjuster..and adjustable cable..

I found this cable needed to be longer to get thru fork..

here I made mine lonher using a barrel nut..it will not change in length ,I use washer for adjustment..which is good for me..I know how much it was adjusted by thickness ..

I put this in 45k ago..I still haven' had to adjust yet..

my tob is against fingers..

the tob has been the most changed part on ours..other than rubber

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Very true. Our Mustangs eat throw out bearings. It doesn't matter if it is a GT, or a Cobra, these cars will put a bearing to the test.

Caseindaplace

Established Member
I pulled on the clutch cable, had about 2 dime widths so gave it a few tightening turns, narrowed it down to about the dime width - maybe a Hair more. I’ll start her up and fine tune it. Nervous about it being too tight

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Caseindaplace

Established Member
It shouldn't be too tight. It will feel a little different, but should be good.

Clutch pedal feels less sloppy, better tension. TOB still squeaks so I’ll be off to replace it.

I did notice this too when the car was off. It is 55 degrees today. Never had this creak before unless it’s cold. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Rambro

Established Member
I've also had bad luck with tob's. Has anyone used silicon on the sleeve? I know some say this is no good but Im willing to try anything at this point.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Clutch pedal feels less sloppy, better tension. TOB still squeaks so I’ll be off to replace it.

I did notice this too when the car was off. It is 55 degrees today. Never had this creak before unless it’s cold. Thoughts?

It is saying it needs to be greased when you replace it.

Caseindaplace

Established Member
It is saying it needs to be greased when you replace it.

Haha that’s what she’s saying huh? I gotcha. I ordered the Ford Racing TOB replacement, I wanted to keep it as factory as possible. I’ll have it swapped out. Shame too, owner before me put an upgraded clutch in, the Valeo King Cobra - only 23K miles total on the car, not sure when the swap was done. Guess TOBs can just got bad. Never have had any clutch issues so that’s a plus (knock on wood)

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app[/url

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread