Ball Joints & wheel bearing help in Houston

txrunner

Established Member
I am doing my front suspension (CC plates, Struts, Swaybar bushings, bumpsteer kit) & noticed that my ball joints & wheel bearings are bad. I've never done these before & was wondering if anyone around the Sugar Land / Houston area would want to lend a knowlegable hand? It would be easier with someone who has done it before than stumble through it myself. Happy to pay someone or buy dinner & beer. Thanks in advance

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
That video does a great job of showing what all is takes to do the jobs mentioned (except for the wheel bearing). I really wish I had seen it before I replaced my LCAs...

I think the only thing I would have suggested to have done differently would be to leave the rack and pinion off till after the new LCA as put in place = but otherwise it was great video.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
If it’s the front wheel bearing easy. Remove caliper, slide, rotor, dust cover. 36MM socket and it should come right out.

Ball joints are a little more involved and you need a ball joint tool. Spring will have to come out, sway bar disconnected. As well as the lower part of the strut. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

txrunner

Established Member
If it’s the front wheel bearing easy. Remove caliper, slide, rotor, dust cover. 36MM socket and it should come right out.

Ball joints are a little more involved and you need a ball joint tool. Spring will have to come out, sway bar disconnected. As well as the lower part of the strut. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, i’m going to replace the struts, CC plates & install a bumpsteer kit so that will all be off anyways

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

txrunner

Established Member
These cars you don’t replace the bearings you just replace he whole hub correct? I was thinking of using Moog hubs & ball joints. Any thoughts on brand

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

32icon321

Established Member
These cars you don’t replace the bearings you just replace he whole hub correct? I was thinking of using Moog hubs & ball joints. Any thoughts on brand

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Correct. I always try to locate ford replacement hubs. Good enough for Ford, good enough for me.
eBay has been a good resource for NOS. Pretty sure this is the part # you want but double check:
YR3Z-1104-BA

Edit* it is also recommended you replace the hub nut as they are said to be one time use. These can be purchased from LMR

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Dave.O

Established Member
Hey, Its dave (the guy who bought your bilstiens earlier this week).
I've done all the stuff you've listed (some of it more than once...) and most if it is straight forward.
Hubs are one bolt that should come off with a breaker bar (250 ft/lb) once brakes are removed. Although I did have one seize on that required at sledge hammer / chisel/ torch to remove.... but I hope that is a rarity.
For ball joint, just take the whole lower control arm to a shop and have them press old out and new in. I tried doing this in my garage with out a press and ruined a joint in the process. only cost 30$ for a shop to do both arms, good excuse to upgrade LCA bushings too while the arms are off.
let me know if you need the MM bump steer gauge, I have one you can borrow, set bump steer with that and a bottle jack. Fairly straight forward, just tedious, you have to cycle it several times to get good reading.
follow maximum motorsports instructions, they are by far the best

SlowSVT

Established Member
I recommend you get a set of Moog ball joints and tie rod ends. Way more beefy than the OEM stuff and have actual grease fittings. Not a big fan of the "zero friction" ball joints that came on the car from the factory they feel like a limp noodle.

Attachments

• SN95 A-arm 14.jpg
    SN95 A-arm 14.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Tie rod ends, Mustang, OEM and Moog 3.JPG
    Tie rod ends, Mustang, OEM and Moog 3.JPG
    398.6 KB · Views: 90

txrunner

Established Member
Hey, Its dave (the guy who bought your bilstiens earlier this week).
I've done all the stuff you've listed (some of it more than once...) and most if it is straight forward.
Hubs are one bolt that should come off with a breaker bar (250 ft/lb) once brakes are removed. Although I did have one seize on that required at sledge hammer / chisel/ torch to remove.... but I hope that is a rarity.
For ball joint, just take the whole lower control arm to a shop and have them press old out and new in. I tried doing this in my garage with out a press and ruined a joint in the process. only cost 30$ for a shop to do both arms, good excuse to upgrade LCA bushings too while the arms are off.
let me know if you need the MM bump steer gauge, I have one you can borrow, set bump steer with that and a bottle jack. Fairly straight forward, just tedious, you have to cycle it several times to get good reading.
follow maximum motorsports instructions, they are by far the best

Thanks Dave. Gotta let me know how much Bilstein charges you for the rebuild. I'm going to send out the set that comes out for the new MM sport set.

Users who are viewing this thread