Bama Performance tune just installed, have some concerns

98_Undertaker

Established Member
One thing I hate is how American Muscle basically forces you to get their crap tunes if you buy a handheld from them. My brother called and refused to let them put tunes on it. I could only imagine how bad it would have been with his custom grind cams, ported heads and Eaton

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Then why buy a handheld from them? Plenty of used unmarried X3s and X4s for less than half or new out there.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
I get 6-10% off for military depending on the item. I still never shop at AM unless the deal is far and away the best deal on the net. They've become a complete dogshit vendor and I am loathe to give them any business.

FIREBALL

Established Member
So who is good at Mustang tunes in the Central California area---(Fresno-- Oakhurst--Visalia--Merced) area ?

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Maybe I got lucky but years back a Bama 93 tune made my NA car feel stronger at the time after I had installed headers. It only stayed that way for 6 months or so before the Vortech went on it and I got a dyno tune.

My dad has a 14 Mustang GT with a CAI, axle back and has been running a Bama tune for years. Granted it only has minor mods and idk what the A/F ratio looks like under full throttle but it runs strong for what it is.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
That's all anecdotal without actual numbers to see what Bama is doing. Generally they are on the rich side with almost 0 timing and are better than stock... But the stock tune is so conservative and lazy that's not saying much. AM also replaced all their somewhat knowledgeable CSRs with $12/hr off the street hires a year or so ago and they are the ones that currently send the tunes out. So yeah, if you feel comfortable with that its your car and your money. My tuner who has been in the business for decades and tuned for SVT and now tunes for Steeda (he tuned the 10 second 2018 car with just headers and slicks) told me how many Bama tunes he's had to fix and how bad they are.

FIREBALL

Established Member
The performance 91 tune that I had installed made a big difference in throttle response and mid range power but it came with that rough feeling and sound, so I dont want to take a chance destroying my engine like others have said that could happened. Too bad because the power gains where very noticeable. The kid at bama told me a week ago he was going to send me out another tune but so far nothing and he (or they) will not return emails with any updates.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
just thinking out loud here, but isn't it possible for the new gears to have a similar affect to what you're saying? Gears can have noises and weird feelings sometimes

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
just thinking out loud here, but isn't it possible for the new gears to have a similar affect to what you're saying? Gears can have noises and weird feelings sometimes

If the gears are causing weird feelings and noises I would be concerned. I've had a few sets of gears and they didn't cause the car to run rough or anything.

FIREBALL

Established Member
My 3;73 gears only made a small difference and I tried it out before I installed the tune, The tune made a much bigger difference--but at what price? I think 4:11s would have made a bigger difference but I didnt want to go that low. The rough sound and feeling was only when i had the tune installed, even in neutral running the engine between 2500 and 5000 rpm.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
The rough sound and feeling was only when i had the tune installed, even in neutral running the engine between 2500 and 5000 rpm.

Ok that's what I was trying to get at. I didn't know if you did both installs at the same time.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
If your gears are making weird noises and "weird feelings" go back to your installer and demand your money back, because you will need a whole re-install and a new kit to go with it. Gears that are installed correctly make 0 noise and 0 "weird feelings".

This thread seems like its about to devolve into justifying the decision to get Bama "tunes" like many others... I'm truly sorry if you spent money on Bama... I am... it sucks to spend money on something that not only is a bad product, its a product that could cost you a ton of money if it damages your engine. Flash back to stock, be happy it wasn't a total waste since you got an X4 out of it and go get a REAL tune. Or keep running the Bama tune and have a shit AFR and 0 timing. Your choice. Not my money or car.

FIREBALL

Established Member
,You must not be reading all my post especially #17 and #32, ---nobodys been trying to justify Bama or wanting to hear whats not true, including me. If you read my post and the last one you will see not only am I disillusioned with Bama but also there are no problems with my gears, they are not making noise and I already flashed back to stock.

One thing I need to know-- can the x4 be used by any tuner that that uses SCT , can they delete the bama tunes or right over them and any other info would be appreciated that might help me about using the x4 and getting it tuned.---- I have found one tuner on line called- All Out Performance -they are in Fresno but havent called them yet.

Last edited:

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, if they have tuning software, they can send you the tunes and you load them to your X4.

You know there are a few good tuners on here, right? You got a wideband?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
YouTube is your friend. Lots of vids out there about the SCTX4. As was said above, you can have many (up to 10?) tunes on it from different tune providers.

FIREBALL

Established Member
Thanks for info and replies------so if I go to a tuner who has sct can they delete bama tunes and just load theirs?

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for info and replies------so if I go to a tuner who has sct can they delete bama tunes and just load theirs?

You will be doing the deleting and loading of tunes on to the X4. You will need to download SCT software which is free to do this. They will send you the tune and you do the rest.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member

That is correct. The X4 is just the device to get the tune from the computer to the car. Places like Bama throw stickers on them for advertising. The X3 I use in my 04 has a Bama sticker on it. But it's all my tunes loaded on it.

You will be doing the deleting and loading of tunes on to the X4. You will need to download SCT software which is free to do this. They will send you the tune and you do the rest.

That depends if he goes remote tuning vs taking it to a shop. If he takes it to a shop he shouldn't have to do any loading on his own.

Users who are viewing this thread