Best price on Thump tensioner

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I'm looking for a good price on a Thump, too. I looked at VMP's tensioner and considered it. From appearances, the Thump is all aluminum with a billet aluminum pulley. The VMP looks like an aluminum body with a steel pulley. The description doesn't really specify the construction materials. They're both expensive for what they are. If you find some at a good price, post up about it!

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
From appearances, the Thump is all aluminum with a billet aluminum pulley. The VMP looks like an aluminum body with a steel pulley. The description doesn't really specify the construction materials.
Actually, I think it's just the opposite. I've got a Thump and the pulley rusts.

Willie

Established Member
I bought a Thump about a month ago, after combing the internet looking for the best price for weeks. I could not find one less than $485, so I bit the bullet and bought one from Revan Racing. It has substantially more tension than the stock unit.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
I was contacted by a member here and offered a good deal. He has an eBay store and seems legit so I'm ordering from him. I'm sure he'll contact anyone in here looking for one.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I actually already have the whole bps pulley set so I'll just swap pulleys

I have the whole set, too. That's how I know they're high-priced! LOL Except, when I bought my set, it didn't include a pulley for the tensioner.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Just an FYI. I had to file a little off the end of the tower that goes through the bearing for the bolt because the bearing width was a little smaller than the bearing Thump used. The washer wasn't making good contact with the bearing on the BPS pulley. I thought the bearing was loose, but figured out the problem and corrected it. My Thump is a few years old, so you might not have that issue.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Got my tensioner yesterday, going on Friday. I wish I was getting more hp/to for that kind of money but it will help keep the belt from slipping which may seem like more hp/tq

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
If your belt has been slipping, you will definitely be able to feel a difference at WOT. I was getting some pretty bad belt slip at WOT before I changed the belt and added an aux idler for more belt wrap. It was pretty bad, too. I'm talking, I could smell the belt after a WOT pull, and there would be rubber deposits on the blower pulley. After the change, it's like I gained 50+HP up top.

Thanks for the contact info for the tensioner, BTW. I think I'm going to go with the VMP tensioner. Now their description says the pulley is billet and lighter than stock. How much does the Thump unit weigh?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
So, I'm actually going to get the Thump from Billet Pro Shop. He charges $495 for it, but it comes with one of his billet pulleys with upgraded (assuming the ceramic) bearings. Considering how much he charges for his pulleys and the upgraded bearings, that's about the best price you're going to find anywhere. Plus free shipping.

I'm also picking up a set of his lightweight engine mounts. I need to offset some of the added weight from the Watts link I recently installed.

Users who are viewing this thread