Beware Of Road Kill w/ Your GT350s

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
My wife and I were driving back home one night and had the misfortune of catching a racoon that another car kicked up with the nose of my GT350R. We were going by another car, and it just appeared from underneath that car. There was zero time to react or avoid the hit. It looked like it had to be about 15 or 20 lbs. We only felt a small shunt on impact. We barely even heard it hit. I was hoping against hope that there was no damage. When we got home, I checked it out, and this is what I saw.
IMG_20170213_133243_711376171.jpg

Just looks like that blade needs to be replaced, right? Shouldn't be too bad or expensive, right? Well, let me break it down:

- New front splitter
- New fascia and partial belly pan (racoon didn't even go under the car)
- New stripes (oh, those 6 little pieces of stripes are ~$1500, not including labor!!!)
- New oil cooler
- Miscellaneous fasteners

All in, the repair bill was over $5500. Does that look like $5500 worth of damage on the surface? I had a feeling it would ultimately end up being over $2500, but I didn't think it would be as high as it was. Thank goodness for good insurance and a low deductible. When the appraiser saw the cost of replacement parts, he decided to amuse himself by looking up the costs of other parts. If somebody absconds with the carbon fiber wheels, that's going to be a $20K replacement bill. I forget how much he said the cost was for the rear wings, but I remember the difference being like you could buy Base and Track Pack wings in bulk compared to one R wing. The hood and fenders were high, too.

This gives me second thoughts about tracking it this summer. You guys that are de-striping your GT350s are really crazy. If you ever decide you want to put them back on, you better have a thick wallet.

For those considering buying a GT350, let this be a cautionary tale of the potential costs of ownership.

I wonder if I'm the first owner to damage his R...
GT Premi.jpg

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
The GT350 specific body parts and the stripes are outrageously expensive I believe mostly to deter copying from people with GTs, and also probably just because they are lower volume parts. Whatever you do dont damage the rear diffuser though. $4300 last time I looked.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
When pics dont work for you, just quote them, they will then magically appear for you.

IMG_20170213_133243_711376171_1.jpg

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Sucks about the car OP. Could have been a lot worse.

I think the stripes are that expensive due to them being actually coated with paint (read that somewhere).

You could replace them with 3M vinyl but the quality wont be the same / last as long.

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
My wife and I were driving back home one night and had the misfortune of catching a racoon that another car kicked up with the nose of my GT350R. We were going by another car, and it just appeared from underneath that car. There was zero time to react or avoid the hit. It looked like it had to be about 15 or 20 lbs. We only felt a small shunt on impact. We barely even heard it hit. I was hoping against hope that there was no damage. When we got home, I checked it out, and this is what I saw.
http://[ATTACH=full]708939[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]708940[/ATTACH]
Just looks like that blade needs to be replaced, right? Shouldn't be too bad or expensive, right? Well, let me break it down:

- New front splitter
- New fascia and partial belly pan (racoon didn't even go under the car)
- New stripes (oh, those 6 little pieces of stripes are ~$1500, not including labor!!!)
- New oil cooler
- Miscellaneous fasteners

All in, the repair bill was over $5500. Does that look like $5500 worth of damage on the surface? I had a feeling it would ultimately end up being over $2500, but I didn't think it would be as high as it was. Thank goodness for good insurance and a low deductible. When the appraiser saw the cost of replacement parts, he decided to amuse himself by looking up the costs of other parts. If somebody absconds with the carbon fiber wheels, that's going to be a $20K replacement bill. I forget how much he said the cost was for the rear wings, but I remember the difference being like you could buy Base and Track Pack wings in bulk compared to one R wing. The hood and fenders were high, too.

This gives me second thoughts about tracking it this summer. You guys that are de-striping your GT350s are really crazy. If you ever decide you want to put them back on, you better have a thick wallet.

For those considering buying a GT350, let this be a cautionary tale of the potential costs of ownership.

I wonder if I'm the first owner to damage his R...[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE="ZYBORG, post: 15589358, member: 40262"]When pics dont work for you, just quote them, they will then magically appear for you.

[ATTACH=full]1436454[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]
Only until you post, then they go poof.

Attachments

• IMG_20170213_133243_711376171_1.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 3
    122.4 KB · Views: 3
    122.4 KB · Views: 5

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Dangit! And I fixed the post TWICE. How in the world did it disappear?? Let me try to fix it again.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Welp, I can't get the pic to stay in the post. If you click the IMG link, it'll take you to it. I can't drag and drop it because it says the size is too large.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Pic doesn't work and that's a comprehensive loss BTW for insurance.

Thank goodness for that! The appraiser mentioned that if they consider it collision, my rates would go through the roof. I have Allstate, though, so if that were the case, I'd call on their "accident forgiveness" they're always advertising. LOL

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Thank goodness for that! The appraiser mentioned that if they consider it collision, my rates would go through the roof. I have Allstate, though, so if that were the case, I'd call on their "accident forgiveness" they're always advertising. LOL
I think I mis-read that initially..

Was it kicked up into you, or you were following another car and you didn't see it till they passed over it?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I think I mis-read that initially..

Was it kicked up into you, or you were following another car and you didn't see it till they passed over it?

It was kicked up into me like a hockey puck. Or rather, a curling stone.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Well, it's all fixed now, so I'll just have to wait and see what happens to my premium next month and/or whether or not we get renewed.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Man, that sucks OP.
Good luck going forward!

Users who are viewing this thread