billet flow throttle body sticking

killer428

Sonic Blue Terminator
Established Member
I have a Billetflow throttle body on my '04 Cobra that has been sticking and making the engine run at a high RPMs (1200)when idling. I was wondering if anyone else with this problem ever thought of using a "helper" spring to bring the idle down to normal ? Not sure how to set up something like this. Anyone have any pictures with something they made up?:shrug:

gat0r

Established Member
quite a few posts on it. try a search
some people are able to adjust as cobracide suggested.
others added a spring

you could also contact Doug @ billetflow

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
I have the exact same problem. I have never seen a "cure", and when I called BilletFlow a while back they claimed to have never heard of this issue. I know it's not a simple screw setting fix, as my tuner tried that when it was first installed with my Whipple. A quick "blip" of the thottle settles the idle down. But, it's still kind of annoying!

If someone DOES have a fix.. I would love to see what was done.

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Straight from Billetflow:
Ok, first, the lever MUST rest on the stop screw. Otherwise the throttle position is never the same and the computer don't know what to do , so it idles high.
1. Warm up car
2. Turn engine off and REMOVE THE KEY
3. Disconnect negative lead from battery and turn head lights on( this removes the capacitive charge in the system)
4. Connect negative lead to battery
5. Back off the stop screw on the throttle body
6. Start car
7.While grasping the throttle lever with your hand, give it a small amount of throttle and let off SLOWLY.
8. Adjust the stop screw to just meet the lever and give it another 1/8-1/4 turn and, then lock it down.
9. Turn ignition off.
10. Turn key to "ON" position and check TPS voltage.
11. Turn key off.
12. Repeat steps 1-4 to reset ECU.
13.Drive car as you normally would so that the ECU can relearn again

Works perfect! :thumbsup:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I will add you "WILL" have to drill out the holes on the TP sensor to get the voltage set correctly. I just removed the metal sleeves inside the bolt holes and it was enough room to get the proper adjustment.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Thanks, Kevin! I hope to have time in the next couple days to try this fix. If it works.. I owe ya a beer! Or, at least a few ears of corn for your Cobra. HA HA!

black 10th vert

Established Member
Kevin, thanks for posting up this procedure. It is a bit different than the ones I had seen on here previously. They had you disconnecting the IAC, and taping over the holes as part of the procedure. This one seems more straightforward, and easier, which is always a plus! I have an Accufab that I will be installing with my new Whipple very soon, so I will tab this thread, as I fully expect to have this issue, since every single blade I have tried has done this.

killer428

Sonic Blue Terminator
Established Member
I also forgot to add that if I tap the gas pedal , the idle does go to normal. But thanks for the quick and useful information everybody!!! I'll give it a try. More than I expected. :beer:

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
I will add you "WILL" have to drill out the holes on the TP sensor to get the voltage set correctly. I just removed the metal sleeves inside the bolt holes and it was enough room to get the proper adjustment.

You don't have a picture or something to reference what you are talking about here do you?

I need to know how to do this correctly when it gets here. So any help is always appreciated! I should be ordering my Billetflow SBTB first thing next month along with the fuel system. I was planning on ordering the middle of this month but I ended up ordering quite a few other things and then of course TF does his GB! Lol

Last edited:

killer428

Sonic Blue Terminator
Established Member
Hey Thanks 04Sleeper !! That procedure you posted works! Thanks a million!!I recommend anyone with the same problem I had to try this first. It works. :banana::pepper::beer::rockon::burnout::dancenana:

Here it is :
Ok, first, the lever MUST rest on the stop screw. Otherwise the throttle position is never the same and the computer don't know what to do , so it idles high.
1. Warm up car
2. Turn engine off and REMOVE THE KEY
3. Disconnect negative lead from battery and turn head lights on( this removes the capacitive charge in the system)
4. Connect negative lead to battery
5. Back off the stop screw on the throttle body
6. Start car
7.While grasping the throttle lever with your hand, give it a small amount of throttle and let off SLOWLY.
8. Adjust the stop screw to just meet the lever and give it another 1/8-1/4 turn and, then lock it down.
9. Turn ignition off.
10. Turn key to "ON" position and check TPS voltage.
11. Turn key off.
12. Repeat steps 1-4 to reset ECU.
13.Drive car as you normally would so that the ECU can relearn again.

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
He doesnt own the Cobra anymore :(
Oh yea, I forgot!! :(
:(

Kevin, thanks for posting up this procedure. It is a bit different than the ones I had seen on here previously. They had you disconnecting the IAC, and taping over the holes as part of the procedure. This one seems more straightforward, and easier, which is always a plus! I have an Accufab that I will be installing with my new Whipple very soon, so I will tab this thread, as I fully expect to have this issue, since every single blade I have tried has done this.
Yeah. I'm sure you will have good success. :thumbsup:

You don't have a picture or something to reference what you are talking about here do you?

I need to know how to do this correctly when it gets here. So any help is always appreciated! I should be ordering my Billetflow SBTB first thing next month along with the fuel system. I was planning on ordering the middle of this month but I ended up ordering quite a few other things and then of course TF does his GB! Lol
I don't have any pictures but the two mounting holes for the TP Sensor have to be drilled out to gain enough adjustment to set the TP sensor to .980 Volts. If you volts go over 1, then the computer goes to another table for idle and it will idle high.

Hey Thanks 04Sleeper !! That procedure you posted works! Thanks a million!!I recommend anyone with the same problem I had to try this first. It works. :banana::pepper::beer::rockon::burnout::dancenana:
Any time. Glad to see you got it working.

Users who are viewing this thread