Billet oil pump gears

Creedog

Established Member
I may have posted this originally in the wrong section.

https://www.svtperformance.com/foru...l-pump-gears-install-a-few-pics.994775/page-4

I may plan to have these installed on my 2011 Mustang GT. Just a short background on the car and my intended use. Approx 38k miles with upgrades to the exhaust, suspension, and braking components. I have tracked the car for the past two years. I plan to continue going to different tracks in GA and the surrounding SE area. Cooling mods I have addedinclude the Ford Performance aluminum radiator, Boss 302 oil cooler, and Shelby transmission cooler. I have added the GT500 differential aluminum cover plate as well. The power is stock with a K/N air filter. With road racing the car andsustained high RPM's I want to try to eliminate any possible weak points I have been informed about. These are themods I am thinking about adding on...

Bought and waiting for install -

GT500 radiator fan

Boss 302 alternator

Plan on purchasing for install -

Should I go with the Ford Performance Cobra Jet oil pump which comes with the billet gears OR go with a set of these Billet Oil Pump gears?

Billet crankshaft sprocket set

Boss 302 chain tensionors

Any opinions or thoughts regarding my plans? Am I missing or overlooking anything? I may add either the Boss 302 or Cobra Jet intake manifolds / tune but not until next year perhaps.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Skip the Cobra Jet oil pump and go with the billet OPGs, then take that extra money saved and put a windage tray and screen in the car--see the link. I haven't heard of anyone using the CJ OP pump, but there are oiling issues with the coyote, especially when the boss and CJ manifolds are used at rpms. http://www.crank-scrapers.com/

Creedog

Established Member
I was considering adding the standard Boss 302 oil pan. Would that affect the windage tray / screen required? Would the Boss pan need a different oil pickup?

Creedog

Established Member
Ok, he provided some additional information. He did mention the 11-14 are more "cantankerous." His wording used to describe my model year, not mine. I have hit the rev limiter when racing. As mentioned before, the car is stock as far a power mods and staying that way for a while. I strongly believe it would be in my better interests to change them out along with the crankshaft sprocket at the same time. Unsure if I want to purchase the MMR or TSS gears/sprocket sets. I prefer to spend some money on preventive measures than have the engine let go because of oiling issues, etc.
Who is he by the way? I never heard or seen anything about him before?

Reaper14

Established Member
I believe his name Alex Flores. Works/tunes for VMP. Not completely sure. But Im subbed to his youtube channel to keep up on info for my gt as well. Im also in the opg stage right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Creedog

Established Member
True, so 3 possibilities for oil pump gears. It appears they only make OPG's. I will still need to look at TSS or MMR for the crankshaft sprocket set. I was going to have the Ford dealership engine technician do the work. It will be expensive but he should be able to install everything and make sure the timing is correctly set with the OEM specs.

GT 500 radiator fan
Boss 302 alternator
Boss 302 chain tensioners
Billet oil pump gears
Billet crank sprocket
Boss 302 oil pan
I reached out to http://www.crank-scrapers.com/ and waiting for reply for what might work with my application.

Thank you to all who provided their thoughts. I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Actually I've heard bad things about the Boundary OPG's failing. My engine builder said to stay away. Spend the extra $100 on MMR, or the TSS gears.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
I would like to hear more about Boundary OPG's failing. They are billet like the others and way stronger then stock. I can't see any of them failing
What I was told is that the design is slightly different than Ford's. It was something about how they fit inside of the ring part. Which can cause cavitation issue's. So I just stayed away because of the advice of the shop that built my short block. I also was talking to someone about building my mt-82, and the issue came up. He is a big time coyote guy and had a bad experience with them as well. I don't personally don't have any experience with them. Call some well known coyote shops and ask questions, see what they say. In the end it was only a hundred more.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
I would like to hear more about Boundary OPG's failing. They are billet like the others and way stronger then stock. I can't see any of them failing

These oil pump gears will perform perfectly fine compared to stock. Boundary has a great reputation. I could see opting for the MMRs for an ultra high performance build, but with the OPs mods he might as well save $100

Creedog

Established Member
For more research on this matter, I was able to locate this:

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP701110

Livernois has a good reputation as far as I know. This pump w/ billet gears already installed sounds like a great compromise. The upgrade from billet gears placed in my stock used (38k miles) pump compared to the very expensive Cobra Jet pump with the billet gears.

Any thoughts on this piece? A New Ford OEM pump with billet gears from Livernois?

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We offer the pump gears separate as well loaded into new Ford housings.
If you open up your pump and there are no signs of scoring or damage and you are comfortable checking the clearances you can purchase the gears and install them in your housing.
there are competitive products out there but we assure the community we have the Rockwell set up on these just where we want them to be and they are consistent.
The quality and materials are second to none.
Our manufacturing method is very complex and very precise.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Actually I've heard bad things about the Boundary OPG's failing. My engine builder said to stay away. Spend the extra $100 on MMR, or the TSS gears.

If boundary OPG's are so bad then how come there aren't a bunch of stories on the forums about them failing? I've actually seen a post of someone who was installing MMR gears and they wouldn't fit properly in the pump housing. I personally went with boundary OPG's and would go with TSS any day over MMR.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
I don't know that they are so bad I never said that. All I said was when I had my engine built I was told to use a different OPG so I did. Then I spoke to someone else and we got on the subject of coyote's failing because both of us had that happen. He said he had a problem with the Boundary OPG's, and that the design is slightly different from Ford's. I think I was clear in my previous posts.

fishpick

Established Member
I don't know that they are so bad I never said that. All I said was when I had my engine built I was told to use a different OPG so I did. Then I spoke to someone else and we got on the subject of coyote's failing because both of us had that happen. He said he had a problem with the Boundary OPG's, and that the design is slightly different from Ford's. I think I was clear in my previous posts.
I was told something very similar by a well known vendor here as well - I originally ordered a Black Friday package of Boundary gears and SST sprocket - he actually called me to ask if I was SURE I wanted the Boundary gears, said almost the same thing as above, and then told me he would upgrade me to the TSS gears for half of what the difference was.
Maybe he had an inventory issue... but he's a super trusted dude in the modular parts world... so - I listened to what he said!

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Does the oil pump rule of thumb only apply to boosted cars? Or do you also have to do it when you staying n/a?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

From everything I've been told and read about they can fail in a n/a car as well. It's more to do with the revving than it is power. The stock one's aren't so good at handling vibration. Cheap insurance and the install is a bit time consuming but it's really not bad. Blazer707 did a install thread that takes you through the whole thing very well.

Joe 69

Established Member
Last weekend I just installed Boundary oil pump gears in my 2013.

The gears are awesome high quality. I had written to Boundary regarding their gears (see below).

I run a super comp car on the weekends (ok a Chevy) and have talk with many Mustang owners at the track who run Boundary gears with no issues.

Hello Joe,

Yes, all the issues with gear noise are gone, resolved a while ago. That video was of the first gears we made for the coyotes.

The top horsepower cars in the coyotes are pushing our gears along at between 1400-1600 horsepower. Thrash them as best you can, you aren’t going to make a dent in them.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Best Regards/Saludos Cordiales/Mit Freundlichen Grüßen

Travis Rosenbarger

Boundary Lubrication Systems L.L.C.

Users who are viewing this thread