Blew Oil Seal on Another Precision

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Took the orifices out and no issue, but my number 4 rod went through the block. The turbos look fine though. I'm putting together a new '15+ block with Manley rods and pistons, Boss crank, and full ARP bolt treatment.

Been busy with work, etc., so I've been procrastinating in getting the block to the machine shop, but hopefully next month I'll start getting it put back together. I need the garage space back.

ford ave

Established Member
Took the orifices out and no issue, but my number 4 rod went through the block. The turbos look fine though. I'm putting together a new '15+ block with Manley rods and pistons, Boss crank, and full ARP bolt treatment.

Been busy with work, etc., so I've been procrastinating in getting the block to the machine shop, but hopefully next month I'll start getting it put back together. I need the garage space back.
Good luck with the build make sure you torque plate the block before machining and file fit the rings also with torque plates you will be very happy with the end result, by the way how long did you run the turbos before the rod decided to hand over more work

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Just a few months. The car is a dedicated track car so it is beat hard.

I suspect the rod was a result of a hot spot due to the previous oil blowing by.

I'm using G&G out of Tomball, TX. Great machine shop. I'm having them do all the short block work. I'm just waiting on the bolts.....

jeffs

Established Member
So if you have 1 oil source feeding 2 turbos, I'd guess you'd need the orifices to keep a little bit of pressure to each line going to each turbo, otherwise the oil would just take the easiest path, and at that point you'd be hoping that the easiest path would be somewhat equal to both turbos at idle, and at max rpm? I don't think the orifices are used in this application to limit oil flow to the turbos, but rather to keep some back pressure on the lines forcing an equal flow to both lines when they split. Also if the oil feed lines into the turbo were large enough and without any restriction, you're motor could actually starve for oil.

For myself I see another reason to go single turbo after reading this. Too bad you couldn't have a dedicated pump to feed the turbos a constant, and consistent flow of oil at all times. It's Probably not feasible, but there's those oil-less turbos that seam to be working fairly well for some people, but would probably be a hell of a chore fitting them onto your existing kit.

I'm also having trouble buying that you're breather system doesn't flow enough to relieve excess pressure from the crank case, unless there's alot of blow-by, but I think you'd have an oily mess on your valve covers if that was the case. I hope you get this figured out, I'm sure it's a frustrating road.

If it was me, I'd try running the oil lines with the restrictors on them into a bucket at idle with one line alot higher than the other, and with the engine at idle keep drilling the restrictors out until you start seeing a difference in oil flow, and stop there. Just don't rev up the car with no oil going to the turbos, and put something in the impellers to stop the turbos from spinning while you're testing the oil. AT IDLE!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread