Blown Head Gasket?

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
IF you didnt have a coolant leak problem I would say that the oil is just from the PCV system being installed (oil pushed into intake from ANY crankcase pressure).

The kicker is the coolant problem... thats the one that is harder to explain.

Gruca

Established Member
IF you didnt have a coolant leak problem I would say that the oil is just from the PCV system being installed (oil pushed into intake from ANY crankcase pressure).

The kicker is the coolant problem... thats the one that is harder to explain.

I rented the tester to see if there is a coolant leak anywhere. It tests the entire system through a few different processes. If that identifies a coolant leak, I'll be excited...

Gruca

Established Member
Well I just finished a compression test. 150 psi on every cylinder.

I looked over the plugs and they were not covered in oil. It was actually gas as all of the plugs are now completely dry. Since it’s gas, it’s probably from running rich during my data logs (I’m assuming on purpose to keep my engine from exploding).

I pressure checked the reservoir, held 16psi for half an hour, no issues. Next up, the leak down test. I’m thinking I just have a leak somewhere that I haven’t found.

Last edited:

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
Awesome news Gruca. With your track MPH it would be hard to believe it was blowby. What is your long term lambda at WOT? That would be your A/F (multiply by 14.1 or something like that? someone will correct me im sure).

I am sorry, busy as hell week so I havent yet gotten to the spark plugs to check. I still havent even fixed my bmw valvecovers; getting new roof today and working too much.

Gruca

Established Member
Here is my most recent data log when Shaun was finalizing my 7psi tune.

Attachments

• Gruca Tq Booster 7psi WOT rev 2.csv
    208.3 KB · Views: 115

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
ya... I meant measured AF Bank 1/2. Looks like you are .74-.80 in WOT. For comparison, my current tune is at .76-.80.

nxhappy

Established Member
Well I just finished a compression test. 150 psi on every cylinder.

I looked over the plugs and they were not covered in oil. It was actually gas as all of the plugs are now completely dry. Since it’s gas, it’s probably from running rich during my data logs (I’m assuming on purpose to keep my engine from exploding).

I pressure checked the reservoir, held 16psi for half an hour, no issues. Next up, the leak down test. I’m thinking I just have a leak somewhere that I haven’t found.
99% sure it is NOT a BHG, you have great compression. Your car would have milkshake oil and overheat VERY quick. Looks like your cans just built up some condensation. You should be good to go.

nxhappy

Established Member
also you need to re-tune your car, the plugs are pig rich.

Gruca

Established Member
also you need to re-tune your car, the plugs are pig rich.

Those plugs went through about 40 data logs and multiple tune revisions after I put on the Paxton. I'm sure the files were sent with more fuel than necessary in order to keep the engine safe. I replaced the plugs last night now that I'm on a final "winter" tune.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
That's great to hear your compression numbers came back good. The numbers will vary from car to car but the important thing is they are all the same.

I remember reading your other thread where you removed the oil cap and put the valve on there with a filter. Didn't this cause excess oil to come out of the filter? Did you ever find out how your crank case was being pressurized that much? Did you ever install the breathers and remove the separator completely?

Looking forward to your leak down results, if there is anything going on the leak down will tell the tale.

nxhappy

Established Member
Those plugs went through about 40 data logs and multiple tune revisions after I put on the Paxton. I'm sure the files were sent with more fuel than necessary in order to keep the engine safe. I replaced the plugs last night now that I'm on a final "winter" tune.
good deal

Gruca

Established Member
That's great to hear your compression numbers came back good. The numbers will vary from car to car but the important thing is they are all the same.

I remember reading your other thread where you removed the oil cap and put the valve on there with a filter. Didn't this cause excess oil to come out of the filter? Did you ever find out how your crank case was being pressurized that much? Did you ever install the breathers and remove the separator completely?

Looking forward to your leak down results, if there is anything going on the leak down will tell the tale.

Yeah, I had two oil separators on the car when I put the oil cap breather on. That caused a lot of oil to come out of the filter. I've since removed the separators and replaced them with breathers (using the normal Ford oil cap) and haven't had any issues with oil coming from the breathers.

Leak down will hopefully be this weekend. I'll post the results.

ashraf50

Established Member
Yeah, I had two oil separators on the car when I put the oil cap breather on. That caused a lot of oil to come out of the filter. I've since removed the separators and replaced them with breathers (using the normal Ford oil cap) and haven't had any issues with oil coming from the breathers.

Leak down will hopefully be this weekend. I'll post the results.
Any news about the leak down test as i have the exact same problem.

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
same here Gruca, sorry for delay but holidays kicked my ass. Hoping to get to plugs this weekend, will send you pics if I get to it.

basspro302

Established Member
Just fixed a coolant leak on my procharged 5.0 waterpump was leaking at the seal. Hard to find until it really started leaking. One thing i noticed with cars that use dexcool like the 5.0 and ls engines is the water pump leaking loosing coolant and not being able to see it until it really starts to leak.

Gruca

Established Member
Just fixed a coolant leak on my procharged 5.0 waterpump was leaking at the seal. Hard to find until it really started leaking. One thing i noticed with cars that use dexcool like the 5.0 and ls engines is the water pump leaking loosing coolant and not being able to see it until it really starts to leak.

Yeah, im thinking it was because of the oil separators causing too much pressure under boost. Since I’ve removed them, I’ve had zero lost coolant. I’ve also changed the oil and nothing but oil in there. I’ve checked a few times since and it’s still just oil. Compression test came back perfect. Still haven’t done the leak down, but since I haven’t lost any coolant and oil is fine, I’m fairly confident all is well (for now...)

beaterbike

Established Member
Also something else I've come across is a lot of the coolant hoses are connected by quick connects. The orings inside will get compressed then when the cold weather hits they shrink and you get a leak. As soon as any heat is in the motor like 50* they will expand and seal up again making it very difficult to find. Also pressure on the system can cause them to expand and seal. If you pres test at under 10 psi on a dead cold eng and do some light pushing pulling side side on the quick connects I have found several leaks. My 2013 was leaking at the upper radiator hose to eng quick connect.

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
Gruca,
finally got my plugs replaced. They looked pretty similar to yours.

Attachments

• plugs2.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 129

Users who are viewing this thread