Bobs Oil Separator and Paxton

Gruca

Established Member
So I ordered a Bob's driver's side oil separator for my 14 GT with a Paxton. I can't get an answer from Bob's to save my life, so I was curious if any of you knew if it comes with a valve to keep the crankcase from getting pressurized? Also, is it okay if I use this on the driver's side and leave the passenger side as is (stock PCV still in place)?

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
If your pcv system is seeing boost you have some serious issues going on. The bobs kit does not come with a check valve, I think that's what you are referring. Just curious, how do you have your catch can hooked up, for it to pressurize the crankcase it has to be hooked to a boost source.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Crap, forgot to answer your other question. You can hook it up to either side on your valve cover. Although, the passenger side will b the one that catches oil, you will get very little from the driver's side.

The bobs can is a great piece and is one of the best catch cans out. I have been running one for a year and the line going to the intake is bone dry.

Gruca

Established Member
Crap, forgot to answer your other question. You can hook it up to either side on your valve cover. Although, the passenger side will b the one that catches oil, you will get very little from the driver's side.

The bobs can is a great piece and is one of the best catch cans out. I have been running one for a year and the line going to the intake is bone dry.

I was under the impression that once you add boost, the driver's side becomes the side with the oil issues. I know without boost, it's the passenger side.

I haven't hooked it up yet, I just ordered it today. Every time I look up info, I always see people saying you need a check valve to keep the pressure down. This is why I'm so confused lol.

Gruca

Established Member
So I'm still kind of lost based on what I've read about catch cans and being supercharged. Everything I've read says that running catch cans without a check valve will cause crankcase pressure to increase. So can I run the can on the driver's side without worrying about a check valve?

Gruca

Established Member
Finally got a hold of someone at Bob's and they said I can use their oil separators, on both sides without any check valves, with a Paxton...anyone able to verify that?

Last edited:

Gruca

Established Member
Running a bobs seperator on the drivers side with my Procharger. Zero issues.

My post should've said "without any check valves." I edited it.

So you have no check valves in your lines? You just plugged the separator up and all is well?

Thanks.

Holovacko

Established Member
Like Riddick said, the passenger side is more of an issue than the driver side. Only N/A, but I have JLT on passenger and driver side. I get zero oil on driver side and a quarter can every oil change or so on passenger side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Gruca

Established Member
Like Riddick said, the passenger side is more of an issue than the driver side. Only N/A, but I have JLT on passenger and driver side. I get zero oil on driver side and a quarter can every oil change or so on passenger side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I ha e one on both sides. They work good. No valve needed to relieve pressure.

89 T-trim

Established Member
On the Passenger Side under boost you will pressurize that rocker cover and loose some boost without a check valve/one way valve installed due to manifold source vacuum/pressure going to the catch can.

On the Driver Side it is vacuum draw only from the inlet pipe. Both sides will pull oil, but the Passenger Side pulls alot more. You want as little as possible
blow-by going into the engine, not only for spark knock but also for not "coating" the inside of the intercooler with oil.

Gruca

Established Member
Bobs Ultimate Oil separators on both sides. Google it, you'll find it. I also put a UPR oil cap on that allows the release of pressure when under boost.

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
So you guys all re-connected the outlet of bob's seperator to the intake? The intake will be pressurized which would in turn pressurize the seperator (and your valve cover) right?

I unplugged all the PCV crap and took it off; car runs way better but now my valve cover PCV is just open to atmosphere. Havent seen any oil in the bay but dont want to run like this much longer.

It sounds like everyone is saying to just plug it back into the intake; are you not worried of pressurizing the PCV system with boost not allowing any excess pressure to be released?

I am sure I am missing something here, help me out. Why a seperator and not a catch can?

Gruca

Established Member

I have that one on my driver's side and the firewall onenon the passenger. I changed the oil cap to the UPR one way valve cap. That eliminates any pressure when under boost. It's designed to only open under boost.

Also, according to Bob's, there is no need for any valves when using their separators. I bought the UPR oil cap anyway because I don't trust anyone.

Gruca

Established Member
Ended up having to take the UPR oil cap breather off because it would get saturated in oil and drip on to the engine, making it seem like my car was on fire (which I thought it was the first time it happened).

Users who are viewing this thread