Boost controller on wastegated centri?

jeffs

Established Member
Anybody here ever try running a manual boost controller and lighter spring on their wastegated centrifugal set-up, and results? The housing for mine on my Paxton kit isn't really easy to get access to in a hurry, and would be nice to just mount one of those controllers near the air filter, and just run the lines from that location to the waste-gate down below by the horn in my case.

I also cannot rule out belt slip, but my max boost is very inconsistent as well, but I'm on an 8 rib set-up with a 20% lower, and a 3.47" blower pulley, so it's not like I'm running any really tiny sheaves either, and my belt seems to have enough tension.

Kman11

Established Member
I've considered it, but have not yet. It seemed pretty straight forward when i looked into it.

Out of curiosity, would you bump it up from 10#'s?

jeffs

Established Member
On E85, I wouldn't hesitate going 11-12. I'd stick with 10 with our 91 that we have here at 6500' though. I'm assuming you're using a waste-gate?

Kman11

Established Member
On E85, I wouldn't hesitate going 11-12. I'd stick with 10 with our 91 that we have here at 6500' though. I'm assuming you're using a waste-gate?

Yea, procharger d1 with wasetgate. I have a 3.90 pulley, wastegate set at 10#'s. I'm using meth 50/50 mix with 93 octane.

jeffs

Established Member
Yea, procharger d1 with wasetgate. I have a 3.90 pulley, wastegate set at 10#'s. I'm using meth 50/50 mix with 93 octane.
Are you just assuming you're at 10psi because of pulley, or do you have a boost gauge? I'm on my 12#spring in my waste-gate, and am only seeing 10ish while spinning the crap out of my Paxton 2200. Also pretty inconsistent for me, sometimes barely seeing a Peak of low 8 on my digital gauge, but have seen as much as low 11 psi on occasion

Kman11

Established Member
Are you just assuming you're at 10psi because of pulley, or do you have a boost gauge? I'm on my 12#spring in my waste-gate, and am only seeing 10ish while spinning the crap out of my Paxton 2200. Also pretty inconsistent for me, sometimes barely seeing a Peak of low 8 on my digital gauge, but have seen as much as low 11 psi on occasion

I have a boost gauge, consistent 10psi. Like you, I had to use a higher wg spring to get the 10psi.

I can see 11psi on cold nights occasionally.

What kind of belt do you have?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

Hook up a good mechanical gauge to verify your boost.

When my 2014 had the Paxton, I was running an AEM digital boost gauge that was not consistent in it's boost reporting. I hooked up a mechanical gauge and found the AEM was off by 2-3 psi regularly for some reason.

An 8 rib with a 20% lower and 3.47 should not slip much.

If anything, pull the blower and check under the pulley to verify whether or not you have a bunch of belt dust down there.

You should definitely make 14 psi or better with the 3.47 and 20% which would make the wastegate open at 12 (obviously).

jeffs

Established Member
Hook up a good mechanical gauge to verify your boost.

When my 2014 had the Paxton, I was running an AEM digital boost gauge that was not consistent in it's boost reporting. I hooked up a mechanical gauge and found the AEM was off by 2-3 psi regularly for some reason.

An 8 rib with a 20% lower and 3.47 should not slip much.

If anything, pull the blower and check under the pulley to verify whether or not you have a bunch of belt dust down there.

You should definitely make 14 psi or better with the 3.47 and 20% which would make the wastegate open at 12 (obviously).
I've had the blower off twice, and haven't seen much dust to speak of. My high altitude, and headers probably play a little into it also. The main thing is that it runs really good. I also had a regular pressure gauge I used to run into the cab just to make sure I wasn't over-boosting or something, and it read similar to my digital.

jeffs

Established Member
I have a boost gauge, consistent 10psi. Like you, I had to use a higher wg spring to get the 10psi.

I can see 11psi on cold nights occasionally.

What kind of belt do you have?
I'm on a 5, and 7 spring combination, and have seen a highest of about 11.25. I should just pinch the boost reference hose going to the waste-gate, and put it to the wood in 3rd to keep the rpm's from coming up too fast and simply let out after it makes around 10, or 11, just to see if the system is capable of more boost than the waste-gate is set for. I'll get back to you with the belt type.

Users who are viewing this thread