Boss 302R Electric Steering Rack

Flcracker

Established Member
Does the Boss 302R electric steering rack provide a better feel than the stock 2011 GT rack? I'm just kind of tired of the lack of connection I experience with the front tires.

chris_302

Established Member
Does the Boss 302R electric steering rack provide a better feel than the stock 2011 GT rack? I'm just kind of tired of the lack of connection I experience with the front tires.
The 302r will provide a completely different feel on your car, however if you road race your car it'll be great, if not, i wouldn't recommend it. BTW - you will need to run it on race tires. Also, EPAS shake has been reported on Mustang GTs with aftermarket front LCAs

Flcracker

Established Member
Isn't the Boss 302r electric steering rack stock on all Boss 302s? Can you elaborate on how it feels differently? Can you feel the tires contacting the road better?

My understand is that all of the "nibble" nannies, which can cause the EPAS to wig, go away with the Boss steering rack.

chris_302

Established Member
Isn't the Boss 302r electric steering rack stock on all Boss 302s? Can you elaborate on how it feels differently? Can you feel the tires contacting the road better?

My understand is that all of the "nibble" nannies, which can cause the EPAS to wig, go away with the Boss steering rack.

The rack is the same in the R and S. I test drove a friend's boss at the track that had it installed and the feel is definitely significant. Note: The car was on race tires.

Are you planning on tracking your car?

Flcracker

Established Member
I did not know that there is a "R" and a "S" type of Boss 302. When i wrote "... Boss 302s", I meant more than one. Anyway... so there are 4 types of Boss 302 it seems: the regular Boss 302, Laguna Seca, Boss 302R, and Boss 302S. The later two both being race cars with a race calibration tuned steering.

I have no plans of tracking the car, but Id like to feel more connected to the road. So what would happen if I installed the electric steering rack with the race calibration and ran some Michelin Super Sports? Why is there a need for race tires?

Last edited:

chris_302

Established Member
I did not know that there is a "R" and a "S" type of Boss 302. When i wrote "... Boss 302s", I meant more than one. Anyway... so there are 4 types of Boss 302 it seems: the regular Boss 302, Laguna Seca, Boss 302R, and Boss 302S. The later two both being race cars with a race calibration tuned steering.

I have no plans of tracking the car, but Id like to feel more connected to the road. So what would happen if I installed the electric steering rack with the race calibration and ran some Michelin Super Sports? Why is there a need for race tires?
The 302 and the laguna seca are very identical, all that changes is the rear seat delete, spring rates and sway bars i believe. Mechanically they are the same.

Now, the boss 302r is built to run the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge Series' Grand Sport class.

The 302s was built as an entry level race car, Scca, Nasa, GTS class, PWC.

For road racing this is an excellent mod, you'll know exactly how your front tires are reacting. Only real reason to go down this route in a non- track car is if you are having rhythmic shake of the steering wheel under high speed and high g's. You normally see this problem in GT's who have their front end suspension upgraded. The boss 302 also has a calibrated (non-R) rack that might be a better choice for you.

What im planning on doing is installing some boss 302s front arms with steeda x11 ball joints.

Flcracker

Established Member
I have had the dreaded EPAS shudder in the past which seemed to have been brought on by unbalanced tires. I have also had a shimmy in my steering wheel and gas pedal that improved after changing my worn out control arm bushings but has not completely gone away. It seems to be speed related and could by bent wheels, etc.

How do you expect your front end to change after the new boss arms and steeda ball joints go on?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread