Bowflex?

spectreman

Established Member
Anybody own/use/train on a Bowflex?

I'm closing in on 12 weeks since shoulder surgery & have been cleared to resume training as of next Monday. Gotta take it easy & go slow & light, & at this stage, I'm kinda leery of going back to the ol' beloved barbells, so I am considering going Bowflex as a replacement. Yeah, I know it ain't gonna be the same but as I close in on 57, I cannot go thru this wrecked shoulder thing again and figure Bowflex may be a safer route.
Lee

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
It depends on how you've healed and how you train. Depending on how you workout, the exercises you do, and the form/weight you use are the main factors in training injuries whether you're using bells or machines.

spectreman

Established Member
I've been a free weight guy for most my 40+ years of lifting life. Don't like machines much.

In the end, the muscles don't know anything but the resistance they're facing. The advantages of the Bowflex, as I see it, is that your grip will rotate naturally, as opposed to the barbell, where your grip is essentially locked in one position, meaning the muscle movement can be limited. Dumbbells allow that type of movement, but not barbells.

W/the Bowflex, I see a lot more stabilizer muscles involved too, a definite plus as those smaller muscle groups, once activated and strengthened, help the larger muscle groups and can help reduce risk of injury.

sutyak

it's soo-tack
Established Member
If you buy one, buy it used. Bowflex may be the #1 product on Craigslist.
I owned a Weider knockoff, and it was decent. I doubled the flex rods and it was better. I completely agree about the stabilizer muscles, but that only takes a couple of uses. It's fun to watch someone on one that has never used it; they wobble all over the place.
In the end I still preferred free weights and I sold it (like everyone else). Thankfully I bought it used, and sold it for what I had in it.
I do own the Bowflex brand adjustable dumbbells, and use those regularly. They are very nice.
I'd personally recommend an adjustable angle bench, and a set of those dumbbells and call it a day.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I've got one, had it for a long time. You can definitely stay in shape with it but don't think you can't hurt yourself if you're not careful. My dumbass pulled a bicep muscle using mine. If you get one, or buy one used, make sure you don't leave the rods connected all the time. They will loose their shape and I'm pretty sure their stated resistance. Take the band off the rods and make sure they all stay straight up. Never had any problems with mine.

spectreman

Established Member
Yes, if purchased, c-list is the way I'll get it. I'm aware that the rods lose resistance over time too but thanks for the info.

Honestly, after all these years w/free weights, I'm not really forward to changing up however, I just cannot damage this shoulder again and knowing me, I'm gonna start throwing some weight around again & then blammo, back to the starting line.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I have had two rotator injuries to my right shoulder. I rehabbed the first one on my own. It took about 18 months to be able to throw a football or anything without any pain. About a year ago I injured it again and just started working out again this past weekend. I have the Bowflex™ Spiraflex™ and after just two days of doing recommended exercises I can already tell a huge difference in my range of motion. And it just two days, after what was a three year layoff from weights, my wife said she already noticed tone coming back this morning. I built a weight room in my basement. Installed a TV, and usually watch about two TV shows while working out. It takes my mind out of "doing work" and I'm able to seemingly workout longer than when I just listened to music. The room is still a work in progress.. But I have found that the environment I am working out in has as much to do with recovery and gains as the equipment I use.

2035A4A1-3211-4C41-94C4-23DB7F087E15-21143-000002DB0DB05CD2_zps86fd72bd_1.jpg

33351c6c-ccff-4b3d-a4d7-8eb4184ee5cd_1.jpg

Last edited:

spectreman

Established Member
I have a gym built in one bay of my garage; all matted, about 1400 lbs. of free weights, bars, dumbbells, a bench, squat rack, pulldown rack and hyperextension. Some days I think I spend more time there than w/my family!

That's why the thought of giving up this stuff is challenging to me. I think the Bowflex will help the rehab go more quickly but I can't fit another piece in the garage, meaning the free weights will have to go, that is if I go that route.
Lee

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Yep. I hardly touch the free weights anymore unless it is just to curl. I have the Bowflex Selectech dumbells, which are great.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Don't. Buy Trx and select free weights. Drew Bree's used trx to overcome his shoulder issue, the one that made the chargers trade him. Everything you can do with the bow flex you can do with TRX.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Don't. Buy Trx and select free weights. Drew Bree's used trx to overcome his shoulder issue, the one that made the chargers trade him. Everything you can do with the bow flex you can do with TRX.

I have the TRX as well. You can do a lot of the same things, but there are a whole lot of other things you can do with the Bowflex. For cardio I like to do a 20 minute rowing workout. I can't do that correctly with the TRX. There are a bunch of other things as well. But if he is just looking for a good arm workout to get his shoulder back up to snuff, then the TRX is a great system and priced to sell.

Users who are viewing this thread