Brake fluid?

Mwynn

Established Member
Winter is taken hold of the North GA mountains with 9 plus inches of snow last weekend. The mountain roads are wearing nice coat of gravel/salt mixture for the next 4 months... Sunday drives for the 00R have ended for a while. Thinking about changing the brake fluid, being that it is 18 years old and I plan on tracking the 00R this spring. Has great pedal feel now with only 3400 mi on car, but I know how hard track sessions can be on brake fluid, especially being so old. Have any of you guys done a complete brake fluid flush in your 00R? What fluid did you go with? If I do it I probably put back oem Ford fluid. Thanks.

Mwynn

Established Member
Those are good brands of fluids and will hold up to the high heat, yet I think running those brands you need to bleed the brakes often and change the fluid ever couple years.... I may be wrong. I'm not looking to heavy track this car, so oem fluid will work fine. I'm running brembo fluid in my gt500 and have to bleed it once a year and add fresh.... to get good pedal feel. I used to track that car very hard tho. On the 00R I'm just looking to get everything up to temp, lay down 5 or 6 very hard laps to see what it's really capable of, then let everything cool down on the paddock... don't want to overheat the differential or burn up the brakes, which I have done with other cars.

nmp1

Established Member
If you're really going to drive the car aggressively on the track you should probably replace the after each event

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Also, if you track your 00R, you have GOT to video it so the rest of us can live vicariously!

Mwynn

Established Member
Also, if you track your 00R, you have GOT to video it so the rest of us can live vicariously!
No problem, have to wait til spring tho. Putting these cars occasionally on the track were there intended use.

svtguy

Established Member
I've always used the Valvoline DOT 3/ DOT 4 Synthetic Brake Fluid in my car. I change it once a year. I average about 6 track events/1000 miles a year.

Goose17

Established Member
Since you asked.

Went to a track day with a friend and his 2017 GT350R.

HOLY CRAP I enjoyed that! I watched every second!

Two things that impressed me:

1. Your driving skills... you drove the crap out of that car!

2. The fact that the mighty 00R could hang with a track focused car that is 17+ years newer! What mods do you have?

Mwynn

Established Member
That's impressive the 00R is stuck to the bumper of 350R. Cool video!

Goose17

Established Member

I know, right?

I kept looking for a tow strap, but didn’t see one! :D

What engine mods does the car have?

svtguy

Established Member
11/12 GT500 5.4 aluminum block. 11/1 compression. Custom cams. 1 3/4 headers. Stock heads and intake.

Maximum motorsports and Full Tilt Boogie Racing suspension.

14 inch Brembo F50 front brakes. 13 inch rear brake rotors.

svtguy

Established Member

The GT350R's original tires were worn out. You could see the rear kick out at times. On good tires, the GT350R will eventually get away from me. The GT350R can get out the the corners better than my car.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I would use Motul, but I guess Ford OEM would work if you are going "light" on it. I do know Ford fluid specs were changed probably about 2010 and the fluid today isn't as good. I'm just stating that in case you remember the fluid of days gone by.

Only caveat is don't run the system dry when you are busy bleeding. If you suck air into the ABS you are making a trip to the dealer so they can hook up to the ABS and cycle it to get the air out.

Tom

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I've always used the Valvoline DOT 3/ DOT 4 Synthetic Brake Fluid in my car. I change it once a year. I average about 6 track events/1000 miles a year.

I flushed my 2008 GT500 brake system a couple of years ago and was planning on using Synthetic brake fluid, mainly because it does not attract moisture like the regular brake fluid, which rusts the brake system from the inside. When I researched the Synthetic, it was not recommended for ABS brake systems..........Have you found a Synthetic brake fluid that is acceptable/recommended for use in an ABS system?

I don't know why Synthetic is not recommended for ABS systems, but I do know that there is a very large market with ABS, so the vendors must have a good reason to recommend against it?

Also, at only 600 original miles, stored in an A/C environment since early 2009, and at only 6 years old, my original Ford installed brake fluid was already looking like "tea" instead of "pee". Even at that early age with so little miles, the system was already starting to rust..........that is why it looked like "tea". When it starts to look like "root beer", that is not good......

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Here is the brake fluid from a full flush of the system on my 2008 GT500 at 7 years old and 600 original miles.......

001_zpsiavmwxzc.jpg

The bottle was laying on its side for a while after I gathered this sample, notice what gathered at the bottom......

002_zpsleechnr3.jpg

^^This is exactly why I never push pistons back into calipers with the caliper bleeders closed when changing pads. All of that crap fluid goes right back into the master cylinder and starts a decline of the M/C seals and bore.

R

Users who are viewing this thread