Build cobra or buy a termi?

srtlat

Established Member
Would like to see 500 hp.

What's the cheaper route?
Build current 97 cobra with about 300 rwhp or buy 20k termi?

Would need::
Forged internal
d1 procharger
60lb injectors
255 lph fuel pump
New Maf
Blower cams

About 10k in guessing with labor???

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
For me, that's an easy choice.
Build the SN95.
I assume it is paid off?

Our cars are getting harder to find these days, and they look so sexy. They have all the right curves.
Take your time and build it up just the way you want it.
If you buy the 03/04, you will still need to throw a few thousand $$$ at it to get to 500hp safely, and there will always be more mods on the list.

Without a hesitation, I say keep your 97.

Last edited:

srtlat

Established Member
What's a good rough estimate dollar amount to get it to 500 hp?

I have longtubes ready to be put on so that's 15 go lol

Recon

Established Member
If you can find one, you can get a Terminator assembly. It'll last at 500hp. Although the tune will play a big deciding factor as well.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Built block +

On 3 kit
UPR K member kit
Supporting mods

Or

D1SC full kit and supporting mods

If you said 425-450hp, it can be done on the stock bottom end.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Do you really, really, really like your 97?

If not, buy the terminator. It's not even a question to me. It will be much more reliable than a heavily modified car for the power level you want to be at, they're newer and have several nicer features than the SN95's, they hold their value so much better and if you're careful about what you buy, you'll be money ahead in the long run.

srtlat

Established Member
Yes, supporting mods.

What size injectors and maf?

20170224_170523_zps8vdhjrrg-jpg.705372

Current mods are
IMRC deletes
4:10 gears
Mgw shifter
Eibach Springs
J&m control arms
Subframe connectors
New struts and shocks
New clutch and Ford racing TOB
Off road hpipe
Borlas dumped at rear axel
New plug and wires

Last edited:

srtlat

Established Member
20170224_170523_zps8vdhjrrg-jpg.705372

Current mods are
IMRC deletes
4:10 gears
Mgw shifter
Eibach Springs
J&m control arms
Subframe connectors
New struts and shocks
New clutch and Ford racing TOB
Off road hpipe
Borlas dumped at rear axel
New plug and wires

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
building ur car is a waste of money if u plan on dropping $10k into it! sell ur car and buy a Cobra already done. it always makes sense to buy somthn already done then to build something less desirable.

so ur gonna dump $10k into an $8k car thats now worth $10k. thats a poor idea bro!

no offense but the 97 mustang is probably the least desired Mustang platform in the last 25 years and dumping money into will be like throwing money out the window!

the 03-04 Cobra has value and desirability which holds value with mods and anything done to that isn't a waste of money and not to mention it simply looks a lot better!

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
not to mention it simply looks a lot better!

Hells no. Not in my opinion anyway.

Any modded Cobra isn't going to be worth squat down the road. They might be holding value now, but original is where it's at in terms of value.

I assume his 97 is paid off. I would def prefer no car payment and 500 rwhp, rather than $300/month car payments and 380ish rwhp. Then he will need to build that up as well. Unless he buys a modded one, which I would not do either.

srtlat

Established Member
Yes paid off
Sn95 is my fan. Plus I like the idea of the underdog cobra that people will think is slow lol

Builtsn95

Established Member
Do you really, really, really like your 97?

If not, buy the terminator. It's not even a question to me. It will be much more reliable than a heavily modified car for the power level you want to be at, they're newer and have several nicer features than the SN95's, they hold their value so much better and if you're careful about what you buy, you'll be money ahead in the long run.
Agreed. I have owned both, currently have a built and blown sn95. My 03 Terminator had the EXACT same rwhp (460) but felt much stronger and quicker off the line. At high speeds, there is no comparison. Also, the Termiantor is much more respected for what it's worth.....I love my sn95, but wish for my Terminator back every day. Give me a kenne bell Terminator any day.

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
Assuming you're really not attached to your '97 and can still find one that hasn't been heavily modded and/or beaten to death by now, I'd go with the '03/'04; should be more reliable once you start getting the '97 to similar power levels, don't have to really worry about going built 'til you really start cranking the boost, currently holds its value better, and has that Terminator "cache".

If my '97 wasn't as pristine as it is and I didn't have the history with it that I do, it wouldn't even be a question for me.

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
You don't necessarily need to build the motor to put down 500. Are you pushing the stock block to the limit, yes but it can be done.

Spray meth, limit the rpms and get a real good tune. I made 505@6200 been running it for 3 or so years with no issues and multiple track passes.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread