Bye SoCal! Moving to the free state of Arizona!

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Absolutely, would love to meet up. My Scarlett isnt exactly a show car, but she gets the job done. Hehe

Blown 89

Established Member
Woah, now.

As you mentioned, The Valley (as Metro Phoenix is affectionately known) is a sprawling place.

You can't lump together whole cities like that, considering how much space each city covers. Even though there are areas of Glendale I wouldn't be caught in late at night, I happen to live in North Glendale. Here's an example of a home that recently sold in my neighborhood: http://azgolfhomes.com/listings/12723-n-57th-dr-glendale-az-85304/

I have a similar sized house, with almost twice the lot, and across the street from our subdivision are million-dollar horse property homes. Just about 1.5 miles down the street, in Peoria, a doctor family friend lives in a neighborhood with multi-million dollar homes, just literally down the street from the mansion where the founder of Swift Trucking lives.

My boss lives in a VERY nice area of Surprise in a 5K sqft house. Same goes with every other area in your list.

Even South Mountain, which is a relatively huge area. I know the rep of SM, but even the uber-expensive Arizona Grand Resort area is still technically off South Mountain. Here's a 1200 sqft condo for 400K from there: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8000-S-Arizona-Grand-Pkwy-306-Phoenix-AZ-85044/89458046_zpid/
I hate Surprise. Track homes, traffic sucks, and it's a million miles away from everything. Everyone I know that moved out there during the boom went nuts for the big cheap houses and they all quickly regretted it and moved back into town. Surprise is a soul sucking place where people go to die IMO.

The South Mountain area does have pockets but the surrounding areas are sketchy. I love the farm at South Mountain though.

I will concede North Glendale, there are nice homes up there. My oldest friend has a house up by PKRA. Again though, there isn't squat to do and the neighborhoods lack any character at all.

I feel like those areas are devoid of all character and the only reason people go there is to get a big houses cheap. That's great but the drive there is depressing and the majority of the surrounding areas aren't that great. Combine that with horrific traffic and it's why I put those areas on the list. As a whole those areas aren't great...settling for pockets of nice areas isn't worth it when there are so many other places to live.

Last edited:

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
I wouldn't be caught dead in Surprise. Track homes, traffic sucks, and it's a million miles away from everything. Everyone I know that moved out there during the boom went nuts for the big cheap houses and they all quickly regretted it and moved back into town. Surprise is a soul sucking place where people go to die IMO.

Again, here you go with baseless generalizations. Spoken by someone who's never actually spent any time in the area besides driving through.

There's a gated neighborhood in Surprise that shocked me when I saw someone's Ferrari F40 just casually parked in the (horseshoe) driveway like it was a Camry.

And no, I'd never live there myself, since I value my commuting sanity (I work downtown). But you have no idea the progress the Surprise area has made. It's actually referred to by locals as "Scottsdale West" due to how uppity it's becoming out there.

Surprise: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/10746-N-146th-Ave-Surprise-AZ-85379/60994285_zpid/

Peoria: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9301-W-Electra-Ln-Peoria-AZ-85383/2119154732_zpid/

My neighborhood: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.598...4!1s0QvW3ruGdRWL8avRqnv3-A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Blown 89

Established Member
My neighbor sold their house three weeks ago for 1.2 million, four houses down just bought a new F12, and a house three blocks north is on the market for 6.25 million and another 1/2 mile away for 16.9. I'm in the middle of town, can walk to any of dozens of restaurants and breweries, festivals and Parks all around, and a night life is a $5 uber away. The houses you linked are in the God damn boonies. You're barking up the wrong tree here.

It looks like there's a house in your neighborhood for sale for 399k, you can buy a house for close to that in Arcadia and be in a nicer area. That's why your area didn't make my list. Sure I could sell my house and buy a mansion in Peoria but there's a reason that 6,000 sqft house is 5 million less than an equivalent house centrally located. Location, location, location

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Congratulations!
Just wait until you visit the first GUN STORE!
That will really open you eyes to how much we were under STATE Control.
Gas will be over a dollar cheaper. Don't they have E-85 AND 93 octane?
Much cheaper real estate prices. Lower sales tax, and much lower state income tax.

My planned escape route will be toward Nevada. No state income tax. Really cheap real estate. Lots of good engine builders and rod shops.

I'm thinking Puerto Rico, no CG tax (or Fed income tax), I can live on a boat, and a US flag in the courtroom.

MFE

Established Member
Let's reframe the discussion back to decent places to live on a non-baller budget. Unless the OP is bringing an inheritance with him, his budget doesn't likely include gated communities in Sur****ingprise.

nxhappy

Established Member
side note....you should find a place with a pool. so you can cool down your nut sack. :)

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
The houses you linked are in the God damn boonies.

The same applies to the houses at Fountain Hills, and you didn't include that in your list.

I guess some people just don't want to be "near it all." I'd rather spend the two hours driving to my place in Prescott Valley, than to walk two minutes to some bar.

Let's reframe the discussion back to decent places to live on a non-baller budget. Unless the OP is bringing an inheritance with him, his budget doesn't likely include gated communities in Sur****ingprise.

I was trying to say that the OP should look EVERYWHERE that's convenient and affordable for him, regardless of the name of city or town and it's "reputation." Base it on the actual locality you're looking into, and not generalize the whole city like Blown 89 was doing.

For example, it sure sounds like Blown 89 lives in or around the Biltmore AREA (even if he isn't, let's use it as an example), which is in Phoenix. At the same time, there are areas of Phoenix I wouldn't want to be on foot in without at least my carry gun, even during the daytime.

Driving past certain areas of Scottsdale, I've once or twice thought to myself: "I can't believe I am technically in Scottsdale already, the road's shitty, and the houses look rundown."

So again, don't discount what could be a good place just because it happens to be in a certain city.

nxhappy

Established Member
my old house had a pool.....what a PITFA lol. Now I just go to a buddies house, or hit the lake .

Coiled03

Established Member
Any of you AZ guys know much about Tucson? The company I work for occasionally has transfer opportunities out there. I've considered it in the past, but always wondered what the area is like.

MFE

Established Member
Any of you AZ guys know much about Tucson? The company I work for occasionally has transfer opportunities out there. I've considered it in the past, but always wondered what the area is like.

I had a client there, and I drive through it on my way to a road course facility near Wilcox, and have frankly been unimpressed. However, a good friend of mine moved there 6 months ago to Vail on the east end of things, and I can't believe the pics I've seen of all the fantastic hiking/biking/camping/swimming nature stuff he's been doing, practically in his back yard. His kids are in great schools too. It is growing (Caterpillar is moving a bunch of people there), it's a college town, and it's also the liberal counterpoint to conservative Phoenix, for good or for bad depending on your perspective.

Blown 89

Established Member
The same applies to the houses at Fountain Hills, and you didn't include that in your list.

I guess some people just don't want to be "near it all." I'd rather spend the two hours driving to my place in Prescott Valley, than to walk two minutes to some bar.

I was trying to say that the OP should look EVERYWHERE that's convenient and affordable for him, regardless of the name of city or town and it's "reputation." Base it on the actual locality you're looking into, and not generalize the whole city like Blown 89 was doing.

For example, it sure sounds like Blown 89 lives in or around the Biltmore AREA (even if he isn't, let's use it as an example), which is in Phoenix. At the same time, there are areas of Phoenix I wouldn't want to be on foot in without at least my carry gun, even during the daytime.

Driving past certain areas of Scottsdale, I've once or twice thought to myself: "I can't believe I am technically in Scottsdale already, the road's shitty, and the houses look rundown."

So again, don't discount what could be a good place just because it happens to be in a certain city.
The reason I didn't include places like Fountain Hills are that they're in the outskirts, the median age is just short of 500 years old, and there's nothing to do out there. I tend to think about the general area....what do I have to drive through to get there, what do the neighborhoods look like, what's entertainment around there like, how easy is it to get to, the type of people that live there, etc.

I tend to prefer nice neighborhoods with individuality that I don't have to drive through garbage to get to. The tan houses with red terra cotta roofs on tiny lots built right on top of each other where the best entertainment options are chain restaurants have absolutely no appeal to me.

And yes, I'm just East of the Biltmore area in Arcadia Proper. I like where I'm at...neighborhoods are picture perfect, everyone is my age and active, there are a metric ton of cool places and activities in the area, traffic is light, lots are a good size, the houses aren't on top of each other, and Camelback mountain dominates the view out my front window. It's an area for people that tend to be very active and I like that. The downsize is that you don't get a lot of house for your money. I'm a native and that's what I think but everyone is different and that's ok.

Blown 89

Established Member
Tuscon is a shit hole. I can see where carnut is coming from in his statements and he's right but if someone says Tuscon is a great place to live they're clearly on meth.

my old house had a pool.....what a PITFA lol. Now I just go to a buddies house, or hit the lake .
I've never understood that. Pools are insanely easy to take care of. Hiring a pool guy is a waste of money. The best thing you can do is not listen to a word pool guys and pool stores say and you'll be fine.

now youre starting to sound like a Californian. lol
Forum rules clearly state that insulting people isn't allowed Steve. ;)

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member

I lived in Tucson for a collective of 4.5 years. College town, but its not universally a shithole. Not in the slightest. East side near Vail, foothills area on the north side, west side out by Starr Pass, Oro Valley in the Northwest.

Typically 10 degrees cooler than Phoenix, its a little more country, but still modern. 4th ave and downtown have a great nightlife, many cool bars scattered around the city.

Users who are viewing this thread