Caliper PowderCoating?

galaxy

Established Member
I know there's a few guys on here that just bought the R calipers new to have red, but hasn't anyone torn down the black/grey ones for powder coating? I too want red, but it's hard to justify a $700 price delta for red paint. Local, reputable shop gave me a ~$280 estimate, and they'll even do the tear down/rebuild for $80.

I'm more hung up on the tear down and rebuild than I am getting the things coated. I searched a little, but is there a good "how-to" on rebuilding our front and rear calipers? And does that seem like a descent price for a quality job? Yes, they'll do the labels and everything. Thanks guys.

Imatk

Established Member
I painted my GT500 calipers with high-temp engine enamel which looks as good today as it did two years ago when I painted them.

I didn't have to tear them down either. Just taped off the rubber pieces and sprayed.

The largest amount of work is the prep work (sanding) but once that's out of the way it's pretty easy stuff.

galaxy

Established Member
Oohhhh...what if I went with guardsman blue to match the stripes???? That’d be unique without drifting too far out of place.

Zemedici

Established Member
I wouldn’t have any issue letting a powdercoat shop do this for me - it’s one of those things if messed up will drive you nuts. I just don’t have the patience, I’d let the pros do it

Imatk

Established Member
Oohhhh...what if I went with guardsman blue to match the stripes???? That’d be unique without drifting too far out of place.

You'd have to find an engine enamel that's close to that. I'm sure there are some that are close. I went through a couple different reds before I found the one that is basically the same color as the Brembo red. The Duplicolor caliper paint (what I used initially) is much darker. I finally found a Ford color in an engine enamel and it looks perfect.

Don't try to use regular paint though. It won't withstand the high temperatures of the brakes and will peel, crack, or just generally discolor.

OH and do not use a clear coat! It will yellow and look like crap. Just use a single color engine enamel and you'll be good.

And you do have to have patience like Zemedici said. It's mostly in the prep so take your time.

galaxy

Established Member
Oh, I will go professional powder coat or keep what I got. Not going to try to paint it.

galaxy

Established Member
Ooohhhhh...that's pretty! Thanks for the link Art!

That’s paint and not powder coating. But sound so like you can have good luck with paint. Would be concerned about track temperatures though. Being new to the track, I’m sure I’m not brutal on brakes, but still elevated.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I painted my GT500 calipers with high-temp engine enamel which looks as good today as it did two years ago when I painted them.

I didn't have to tear them down either. Just taped off the rubber pieces and sprayed.

The largest amount of work is the prep work (sanding) but once that's out of the way it's pretty easy stuff.

I did the same to my Explorer I had and after 3 years, they still looked very good. I needed to do a brake job and while I was at it, I just taped a few parts off and went to town. I used a red aerosol spray on mine and my total cost was around $8.

OP - You'd be surprised at how nicely you could to it by painting them and save yourself a TON of money in the process. Unless you are cooking your brakes on a daily basis, I seriously doubt you'll have any troubles with paint.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
You guys have pics of your DIY Calipers?

The close up ones I had are on my old phone that I destroyed on accident. This is about as good as I can show you.
explorer.jpg

Imatk

Established Member
If you use engine enamel then you'll have no issues with temps.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Check it:
Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
That looks awesome, but as some have already said, getting there requires a lot of patience and a bit of know-how. LOTS of patience with the critical prepping. That caliper you know was prepped well. Looks brand new from the factory.

galaxy

Established Member
I’ve tried contacting that guy for over a week now. Has answered none of my questions. Gorgeous work, but if he’s inaccessible, then I may just move along.

Imatk

Established Member
If you want I can do them for you, not sure what you're looking to spend though.

galaxy

Established Member
If you want I can do them for you, not sure what you're looking to spend though.

Oh yea? Can I see some of your work? I don't necessarily have a budget as it would depend on the quality I guess, like most of us.

Imatk

Established Member
I can post a picture of my calipers tonight. I've done a few sets but I don't have a shop or anything.

The cost would really just depend on the state of the calipers now. I would assume they're in good shape though since the car isn't that old.

Also I use a decal for the brembo logo. I find it lasts longer and looks better anyway so I don't know if that would be an issue for you or not.

Imatk

Established Member
Finally got the wheel off so I could take a picture. These are a little over two years old now, so there are a couple little nicks but they pretty much look exactly like they did when I painted them.

BrakeCaliper.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread