Cammed/bolt on SS VS HC

Troponin

Established Member
I was curious how the Camaro would run. Never raced one before, not even in my Mustang. This was a 2012+ SS, sounded like it was full bolt on and cammed. (Unless they ghost tune them).

On all three runs, I pulled on him instantly and gained more and more lengths the faster we went. The runs were really short, because PD around here have a very strong presence on the road we were on.

What kind of power do they put down with those mods? Can they be ghost tuned or was definitely cammed?

After running a mustang a few weeks ago, I didn't expect to pull so hard on this Camaro. The GT actually made me work, which makes me wonder what all was done to the mustang, but it was night and day difference between those two cars.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I will say that unfortunately for the 5G camaro crowd, 95% of camaros are turds. Their owners are mostly concerned with transformer badges, lambo doors and body kits. With that said the 5G camaros are a really stout platform if modded right and attention to detail is paid.

The right cammed car could give you or I a run for our money.

The 13-15 camaros are slightly faster than 10-12s.

Dont pay too much attention to dyno #s but a cammed car can go as low as 430 and as high as 500+. They generally will weight as low as 3,600 (if weight is reduced) and as high as 3,850.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
5th gens are notoriously slow, I've only lost to one 5th gen and he made almost 180 RWHP more than me. My car even traps higher than his car does.

StalkerStang

Established Member
Probably more driver related but I held nearly door to door with a cammed, LT, tuned 5th gen on drag radials at the track. He ran 12.4 to my 12.6 but all I had at the time was my jlt intake and it was tuned. I was on the regular 19 in street tires too....

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
I ran an SS that definitely had a nice cam and sounded great. Had big and littles too. We were waiting at the track since they were re-prepping it. I wasn't paying attention as to who would run beside me to my left side. I was just there to get times and see how the car would act without the BOSS IM. Also since this was my second run, this was my 100 (zex) wet shot run.
We start going again and I hit up the water box, spin the NT05R DR's, walk it up to the tree and when I look over....Black SS. I laughed and just focused on what I needed to do. Tree goes off and boom, that Black SS hit hard and was gone. Then I went (still had a 1.7 60' and nitrous comes on at 4Krpms and stays on till I'm off it) The SS was probably about 4-5 car lengths but I didn't think about catching up or losing, though thought others would probably talk about how it beat a mustang.
But then I notice I'm gaining on him pretty good. Then half way down the track, I'm passing him. And when I hit the traps, he was probably a good bus length away. On that run I ran a 11.4 but not sure what he ran. I would probably guess a low 12.
My previous run without the nitrous was a 12.1 with the stock intake but I was pissed it was shifting into 4th right before the traps.

Oh and on this day, my gopro was dead. But I did have this back up knock off type recorder. Plugged it in and red light comes on....well if I would have read the instructions first, I would have seen that red means power. You have to click a certain button and BLUE means recording....I thought I had recorded a badazz run to share but nope. I was pissed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread