Can I do this (cam related)

crazycarlo

Established Member
I know it sounds crazy but can I take my 98 cobra cams out of the heads and put them in the 01 heads I have by unbolting the cam caps and switching them both over at once with the chain still on both their sprockets?

would it cause any problems timing wise if I just lined the chains and teeth back up the way they were in the 98 heads?

crazycarlo

Established Member
Yeah, I mean I had deff planned on making sure the timing was correct, but if i never move the sprockets and chains on the cams it should still be in the same time correct?

crazycarlo

Established Member
haha I know it sounds stupid thats why i asked. I guess somehow in my head it makes sense. Like I know you have to remove the tensioners. But if say you maked the chain and sprocket and then just put it back together on the other head so everything lined up the way it was on the 98 heads thats all i meant it to sound like.

Basically what i mean is that Im not trying to advance my cams or retard them. I just want to install them like they would come from the factory. Shouldnt I just be able to line up the marks and not need a degree wheel or anything special?

tt54l32v

Established Member
In another 30 minutes you can have the front cover off. If you have a pulley puller which can probably be borrowed from an auto parts store.

crazycarlo

Established Member
oh the cover is already off, heads are off the block. The only thing Im worried about is installing the 98 cams in the 01 heads, thats it. I know how to time the motor when the heads get on there Ive just never installed cams before. Im not going to buy a cam degree kit as I dont have the money.

MLS

Established Member
You only need the intake cams and the primary gear is on the exhaust cam.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
if you're not going to degree them-pull the timing chain off with the gears and don't let the chain come off. mark them just for security. With the heads off install the cams so that the keyways are pointed down (all 4 of them). turn the motor rotating assembly to TDC- set the heads on the motor and put the gears and chains on-(you may have to rotate the cams in order to accomodate the gears-that's ok). not the most precise method by any means but good enough for gov't work.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread