Can't get this bitch in to gear even with new X spec MGW

justinsstang

Established Member
So I'm having an issue getting the car in to gear under load. Even at around 6500rpm now.

I feel like it's an issue that's getting worse.

If the car is turned off, it shifts smoothly. But I just noticed that even leaving it turned on it is somehow harder to shift through the gears.

Does this sound like a TOB, or a trans synchro issue?

Mods are MGW 21% throw reduction X spec, boss mani, lund tune on 93, cat delete. All gears are feeling crunchy as hell while driving. If I row through the gearbox after shutting off the car a couple times, it will go in easily. Car is a 2011 and has 59k miles.

96gt02

Established Member
Sounds the car was beat on pretty good. Typically the issue with the MT82 notchiness is the clutch itself, trash from the factory especially if you beat on it. In your case I would almost guarantee you'll need a clutch. Typically if it's just a little notchy you can get away with either a full shifter assembly replacement or blowfish bracket, stainless clutch line with flush and fresh trans fluid but sounds like your way past all that.

Coosawjack

Established Member
Clutch dot disengaging completely!!:(

Is the Master Cylinder reservoir full??o_O

Try pumping the clutch pedal 50 times or so to bleed it....worth a shot!!;)

KG145.0

Established Member
Yeah stock clutch is no good if your beating on it...you need a new clutch and if your there do slave cylinder and trans fluid... what I did as well was remove the clutch line from the break resovour and put it in it's own resovour with some good high temp break fluid.. and I change it out every couple months its get dirty quick.

Zemedici

Established Member
As stated, it’s a clutch issue, not a shifter issue.

Put a nice clutch in it and let her rip

justinsstang

Established Member
Here's the fluid is that bad? If so what's the easiest way to get all the fluid out when I change the reservoir and SS line? I just ordered a separate reservoir, and am about to order a ss McLeod clutch line. I guess I'll start looking in to getting an 18 twin disk oem clutch and slave.

https://ibb.co/bW2TeH

justinsstang

Established Member
Yes, it could.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

How does the clutch really affect that though? If you're pressing the clutch pedal, the clutch isn't touching anything to give any resistance, so how would it affect notchiness of normal driving? I can see it being a problem with not fully engaging, but that sounds more like a fluid or TOB/Slave issue to me.

All I know is, my 2014 with a stock clutch, and paxton for over 20k miles never had an issue with lockout with only a mgw race spec (15% throw reduction).
Hoping I don't have to replace the trans. If I do I'd like to try out the 2018 one.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
As the clutch wears, the distance the throw out bearing travels is affected. In turn, the amount of pressure placed on the clutch fingers is changed.

That is the simple explanation.

If the clutch is perfectly fine, you have an internal issue. Could be the syncros, a bad input bearing, etc.

My bet is on the clutch.

KG145.0

Established Member
If your brake fluid looks dark and you've never changed it.. it's probably not working to efficiently..... the shifting on my trans was getting notchy and hard to shift..especially 1-2 shifts.. I got a new clutch and since I was at it i sent my MT82 to Ben Calimer to get built... and he said the trans was in good condition... so it was definitely the clutch. I should have my trans back In a couple weeks... Can't wait!

justinsstang

Established Member
So I took a couple vids. This one is of my shifting with car off vs car on. Not sure how well it translates to a video but it's drastically different.

Here is one of my wife pressing the clutch pedal while I hold the camera at the clutch/brake reservoir.

Just trying to verify it is indeed a clutch and TOB issue before I drop the cash on one.

justinsstang

Established Member
If your brake fluid looks dark and you've never changed it.. it's probably not working to efficiently..... the shifting on my trans was getting notchy and hard to shift..especially 1-2 shifts.. I got a new clutch and since I was at it i sent my MT82 to Ben Calimer to get built... and he said the trans was in good condition... so it was definitely the clutch. I should have my trans back In a couple weeks... Can't wait!

Also yes it looks dark (as u can see in the video). I bought this car with 56k miles, and now it has 59k, so I'm not sure if it's ever been changed.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
The fluid looks a little dirty, but I think we have all seen much worse.

I like to approach problems from small to large in regard to financial and mechanical impact. It will not hurt anything at all to change the fluid. You could see a change.

I watched the video, and I did not "see" anything abnormal. When the engine is not running, nothing is spinning. It takes no effort to shift because the gears are not engaging a rotating mass.

The notchiness I can see and hear looks normal to me. It could likely be improved a bit with a little more clutch disengagement. It is hard to tell without the car in motion, and without actually feeling the shifter.

After driving the car, can you smell the clutch? Does the car slip under acceleration?

justinsstang

Established Member
The fluid looks a little dirty, but I think we have all seen much worse.

I like to approach problems from small to large in regard to financial and mechanical impact. It will not hurt anything at all to change the fluid. You could see a change.

I watched the video, and I did not "see" anything abnormal. When the engine is not running, nothing is spinning. It takes no effort to shift because the gears are not engaging a rotating mass.

The notchiness I can see and hear looks normal to me. It could likely be improved a bit with a little more clutch disengagement. It is hard to tell without the car in motion, and without actually feeling the shifter.

After driving the car, can you smell the clutch? Does the car slip under acceleration?

I don't smell any clutch. Occasionally it will act weird on take off, like a shutter. That's about it, and no slipping either.

Nothing really looks off in the video, but it is quite difficult to get it in to gear once started. It is impossible to get it in to gear at 7k rpm, going from 2nd-3rd. While sitting at idle, I should still be able to row through the gears normally with the clutch disengaged, because nothing should be spinning while it's disengaged at idle.

It has to be clutch or trans I guess. Figure I'll do a clutch first. Going to try to put the 2018 GT clutch/flywheel in it. Hope it fits so I don't waste all my time trying to get it in there and end up having to put the stock one back in while I wait for another one lol.

Users who are viewing this thread