Car accidents on the rise...

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
We spoke about this in a meeting a while ago.

It's not impaired driving that's the main contributor. It's the people that come into the state for the marijuana, a large amount of them aren't particularly prudent.

_Snake_

Established Member

It's not impaired driving that's the main contributor. It's the people that come into the state for the marijuana, a large amount of them aren't particularly prudent.
in states that have legal recreational marijuana use. While its all but impossible to say that its due to marijuana use, it suggests a strong correlation as auto accident rates were declining prior to it being legalized.

https://www.usnews.com/news/nationa...ing-in-states-with-legal-marijuana-study-says

I was just going to ask what else might have changed, such as the volume of traffic.

Accidents in FL increase significantly from October - May every year......must be all the weed the old people are smoking.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
It's the texting and driving. When I look around while driving everybody has their phones in their lap or in their face.

There was texting and driving prior to 2013 and accidents were still declining in those states.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I was just going to ask what else might have changed, such as the volume of traffic.

Accidents in FL increase significantly from October - May every year......must be all the weed the old people are smoking.
Our infrastructure is so over taxed at this point. We get 10k more people who move into the state per month. I can't speak for the other states though.

That could have an impact on it.

_Snake_

Established Member
Our infrastructure is so over taxed at this point. We get 10k more people who move into the state per month. I can't speak for the other states though.

Yep. More cars on roads not designed to handle that much traffic will certainly increase the number of accidents year over year.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
Pretty much a combination of everything that has been mentioned. One thing hard to measure is how much people just don't care about driving safely. They just want to get where they are going as fast as they can and screw everybody else. It doesn't take pot, alcohol, phones or anything else to make people just not care.

Rare40th

Established Member

I don't know why I suddenly feel like Clint Eastwood and want to stand by the border saying " get off my lawn" lol. It's ridiculous at the amount of people that live here now and how many keep flooding into the state. One of these days the rate of people will drop tremendously and all of the construction/home development will halt and become a miniature ghost town

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
While some of it may be from those that are driving while high, I think that the sheer increase in traffic on infrastructure not designed for it is more likely the culprit here. At least in Colorado anyway.

The unemployment rate in Weld County where I'm at is 2.6%. The unemployment rate in Colorado as a whole currently sits at 3.0%. Even with the influx of residents we have been seeing, if people want to work in this state, they are working. That means there's A LOT of traffic, even in areas that in the past didn't have it.

Combine an increasing number of residents driving more cars and the fact that we basically just give driver's licenses away these days, it's not surprising to see accident numbers ticking up.

What I'd be more interested in seeing is per-capita increase. That would shine more light on the subject.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
What I'd be more interested in seeing is per-capita increase. That would shine more light on the subject.

Yeah, there needs to be more information on it.

It's not a simple cause -> effect. It's likely cause + cause + cause -> effect.

Either way our insurance premiums are too high.

Equalbracket

Established Member
Having lived in CO for almost 2 years, If you saw some total idiot on the road most likely they were from Texas. One winter in CO and you're already more skilled then a southerner, who can't even drive in the rain.

MFE

Established Member
the stronger correlation with accident rates is the rise of smartphone usage.

BJCobra99

Established Member
Colorado traffic is way worse than 5 years ago. I used to ride my R6 moto down i25 then us34 to Estes Park often with little to no traffic. Once traffic got crazy busy I got rid of the moto cuz all these noob drivers are insane. Almost 2 deaths a week now around Denver on motorcycles!

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Traffic is getting terrible here in Nashville. All these trust fund, liberal, hipster **** stains moving here. They all love that they are trying to eliminate the fact that Nashville is the home of Country music. They elected a liberal shitbird for a mayor and now violent crime is the highest in a decade and the affordable housing they were promised is less than before.

I cannot wait to move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread