Car Shuts Off After Cleaning Filter

LuuisHernandez

Established Member
After washing my car, I cleaned my air filter with a K&N cleaning kit. Sprayed the solution on, rinsed it off with water, let it dry, and applied oil. Now, it turns on and shuts off. I restart it and if it stays on, it'll die when accelerating so I gotta keep giving it gas if I want to keep it on. Maybe I didn't let it dry enough when I put it back on? After trying for a while, I took off the filter and tried restarting without a filter and it still shut off after starting. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Recon

Established Member
Common problem with oiled filters is the oil will get on the MAF sensor if too much oil is applied.

Sent from somewhere in the Twilight Zone.

LuuisHernandez

Established Member
So I cleaned it yesterday, but same issue occurred. Thought maybe filter wasn't dry enough so waited till this morning to try again. I recleaned my MAF sensor and same issue is happening.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

LuuisHernandez

Established Member
I also unplugged my battery and cleaned my battery posts and questioned whether I needed to reset the ECU so put stock tune back and re-uploaded my current tune and that didn't help either.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
maf connector clicked all the way in? Double check for any vacuum leaks in that area (knock a vent line loose etc)?

LuuisHernandez

Established Member
I did unplug the harness plug so I'll double check tonight. Easiest way to check for vacuum leaks? Using spray?

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Probably jacked up my MAF sensor?

Possibly, this may sound silly but make sure the MAF is installed the correct way. If its installed backwards the car will start up and die. Any chance you can borrow another MAF from a friends car and see what that does. Also, before you do anything hopefully you took the filter back off and tried to get the excess oil off of it.

LuuisHernandez

Established Member
It does sound silly, but I love had my fair share of "duh" moments. I'll double checked the orientation of the MAF tonight. A friend is coming by tomorrow night for the MAF test. Wiping off any excess or let it dry outside of car?

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
The oil will not dry just sitting there, you need to get the excess off. You could get a cotton rag and run it across the filter to soak up the excess. I would probably lay an old towel on the floor and lightly hit the filter against it while rotating it around, if there is excess oil on it this will knock it off. I can almost guarantee its a MAF issue, hopefully you guys get it figured out.

LuuisHernandez

Established Member
Haven't tried switching mafs but a code finally came up. During my supercharger install, I soldered the IAT wire to MAF. And this is the code.
3b44907d4c344c169baa47a09727ed10.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread