CChicken coop - who here has one?

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Now that we have some nice land and are settled in, my wife and I are thinking about getting come chickens. So, we need to decide on a chicken coop.

Has anyone built on? Or easier to buy the pre-fabricated ones?

How many chickens do you have?

Any advice? This is a new venture for us. We are hoping to get our boys involved as well.

fishpick

Established Member
We have run a farm for years.
Since you are in TX - you are "warm" - so really all you need is a building (either build something or one of those rubbermaid type sheds from a big box store will work) - they need shade from your TX sun, water, food, roosts off the ground and nest boxes.
You can buy a pre-built or you can fabricate your own stuff... it depends on how you role.
You just don't want to overcrowd in hot conditions or they will peck at each other.
Invest in some electric netting style fencing to keep the birds enclosed if you want to avoid all the predator issues - otherwise - be prepared for things to get into the hen house and dwindle your stock. A rooster in the flock is also helpful for keeping the ladies in line.
Depending on how much you want to learn - there's a podcast for that...
Google is your friend for this... but the reality is - there's not a lot of "wrong" you can do with chickens... they are pretty self-sufficent once you give them water, food and space.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
My dad built a Custom one. Maybe 10W'x25L'x8H'.

Everytime I stop by his place I want to shoot the ****ing roosters or let the German Shepherds have a snack. They never shut up.
Think they have 10-12 chickens and 2 roosters.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Our land is completely fenced by a 5" woven steel field fence. Also, our Australian cattle dog lives outside and roams around. We don't get many predators with him on the prowl.

We'd be looking at just hens, no roosters.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
^^^ a neighbor here tried it and ended up with rat/mouse issues which I would guess is what led to the snakes.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I have some friends with them. Seems like a giant mess that isn't worth it unless everyone in your household eats 10 eggs a day or something.

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
Most big box store coops are junk when compared to building your own. There are a lot of building plans online and that's what I embedded up doing.

In all I spent around $200 for materials for a coop big enough for 6 hens. It's still good after 4 years now.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
So just to update this, we are going to look at Tractor Supply tonight for Coops.

We found a couple of Rhode Island hens nearby which are strong producers.

We are going try to bring one home some night this week to make sure our Cattle Dog doesn't try to snack on it. I think he's more into herding and probably won't bother it, hopefully.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
So, the chicken came before the coop. Out cattle dog is just a bit curious:

ri8809.jpg

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
my renter had one, neighbors told me they were running wild all over yard lol. he did build a nice coop for them in the back though. took it out when he moved.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Im getting some soon. My zoning is absolutely rediculous though so I need to go through a planning board, advertise to my neighbors, hold a town meeting, and eventually get a permit... otherwise I would already have them.

I enjoy having a vegetable garden, chickens are the next step. I guess I just like tending to things that produce a tangible outcome. I would probably have some other animals if I could get away with it. Maybe I should move.

You could always find a local who builds them. You will likely find much better quality than a box store. Try craigslist and you may find someone who builds and sells them.

beeradd

Established Member
We have 6 that free range everyday on our land. They put themselves up for bed and pretty much are self sufficient once they are old enough.
I built a coop myself inside of one of our outbuildings. 6 Rhode Island reds have produced more eggs than my family can eat. I always have 4-5 dozen eggs surplus in the fridge.

One thing to mention though, they really tear up my landscaping, mulch, etc free ranging. Oh and you will need to get used to doing a quick chicken poop sweeping each day on your walkways... kids get to do these things :)

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Our chicken collection is growing.

1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Plymouth Rock and 1 Ameraucana. This weekend's project will be expanding the chicken coop and making a good sized run for them.

nlrfk8.jpg

SirShaun

Established Member
We have a few free ranging in the back yard. Dog Kennel with a tarp roof, is where they sleep. Also, old tires make great nesting boxes. I keep kicking the idea around, of making a PVC framed walk in with a run style coop. Backyard Chickens has quite a few nice PVC setups, folks have done.

Funny story, either an owl or a hawk, got one of our chickens one time, the wife came in crying. Next thing I know she was plucking it and we had it for dinner. I must say it was the freshest chicken I've ever had and it was delicious.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
We had some friends over this weekend and decided to expand the chicken coop. Built them a bigger run, and also cut down some brush so we could move them into a nice shaded area. Unfortunately our cattle dog is being a moron. Now he goes out back and barks at them all day and night. When they were next to the house he never bothered them.

2a0eyyp.jpg

330gsxj.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread