Ceramic Coating for an outdoor FL truck?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm just trying to do a little research on this, I'm going to be ordering a new truck here soon and want to get it taken care of immediately when it arrives. Any recommendations or even just links to good resources for info on the different coating options would be appreciated.

It will live outdoors here in FL. Where I work there tends to be a lot of dust and occasional bird shit. The paint will be a metallic color (probably lightning blue) if any of these coatings are better than others with enhancing that.

I want something to help protect the paint and not need to claybar etc... all the time. I would like it to hold up for at least 3 years ( i keep seeing things about 3-5 year coatings).

M91196

Established Member
Not able to answer your question specifically but will share my experiences.

Amateur detailer that can’t stand a dirty vehicle with OCD.
I decided to try a consumer level coating on my 2016 daily F150 that has to sit outside and be driven in the New England winter.

I did all the traditional prep-decontamination, polish, wipe down etc then coated it with Gtechnique.

After a few months of seeing how clean it stayed and how easy it was to wash I did all my other vehicles.

If it’s in your budget I highly recommend it, and also recommend you follow the installers instructions for washing and maintenance.

It’s not bulletproof but it can certainly improve depth and ease maintenance.

KEVINS

Established Member
I'm practicing on my truck this weekend before applying to my car.

First, start searching the forums here: Autopia Auto Detailing Forum. This is a detailing forum and these gents have great threads. Check out threads by "BudgetPlan1". He's done some long term testing with about every coating combination on his fleet vehicles.

I spent a year reading/researching ceramic coatings even made a spreadsheet with the things I liked and negative things I read and based on my goals I chose Crystal Serum Light (CSL) for the ceramic coating then I'll top off with EXO V3. Both of these are made by: ttps://usa.gtechniq.com/

In a nutshell: CSL gives great hardness and protection but doesn't have the "best of the best" water beading and shine. But if it's topped with the EXO the water beading and shine becomes a top performer.

ks

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
All I can say is,....DO IT!!!
I have Cquartz Finest on my truck and it is awesome. Cleaning is a breeze and when the truck is clean, it pops like crazy. Color is bright and don't forget the protection you have with coatings as well. WAY BETTER than any wax could do and it lasts longer too. Well worth the money.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
to clarify I'll be having someone do this professionally once I decide what product(s) I'm interested in
I had mine done professionally. Actually, with Cquartz Finest, it can only be applied by an authorized and certified Cquartz Finest detail shop. I paid almost 1K and will do it again.
It's a process. The car needs to be super duper clean, paint corrected and oils taken out of the paint. If not done properly, you will see "layers" if you will, of the coating not being applied properly or laid down correctly.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Ive heard that, hence why I have no desire to do it myself, I also dont have a good place to put a super crew 6.5' bed truck in doors. I'll go from dealer to detail shop in short ordered to be paint corrected, cleaned up etc... and coating applied

Famine

Established Member
I went with a 1600 dollar opticoat (7year coating) for my 5.0. Love it. I still haven't washed it and it looks great. The clear looks so thick now. Followed that up with a clear 3m clear protection as well for another 700. I'm thinking of doing it for my truck now as well since I drive it most of the time. You won't regret it.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I plan to put some kind of film on the front end as well with all our love bugs and highway construction they take a beating

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
I highly recommend doing some research on the numerous forums available: autopia, autogeek, etc. A properly applied coating will make your life so much easier from a maintenance standpoint as well as protect your new truck's finish from environmental contaminants, bird droppings, UV rays, etc.

Just know going in that coatings are not bullet-proof and do require routine maintenance to keep them in proper working order and to realize the excellent durability they offer.

Research your detailer/installer as well. Check out online reviews, go visit them, ask questions about how they apply, the process and what you can expect. If it sounds too good, or not good enough, look elsewhere.

I hope this sheds some light on this for you and please keep us posted on what truck and color ya get as well as what coating you opt for!

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Just know going in that coatings are not bullet-proof and do require routine maintenance to keep them in proper working order and to realize the excellent durability they offer.
I forgot to mention that about the maintenance. I use RELOAD every once in a while after washing the truck to help maintain the longevity of the coating.

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
I just did my 16' with a 3yr coating off e bay. The soap and 60ml coating (used half) cost me about $50. Like a paint job, prep is key
Message_1526497061102.jpeg
20180516_113059_HDR.jpeg
Message_1526496835525.jpeg

Sent from my LG-H830 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread