CJ,SCJ,CAMS etc.

darreng505

Established Member
Ok,
So by months end I should have the following motor (off my boss motor) upgrades in place.

1. CJ Intake
2. SCJ monoblade TB
3. Rev auto 5" CAI
4. Livernois billet oil gears
5. Livernois race springs
6. 110 or 112 race fuel tune, advanced timing as well
7. 8k RPM limit
8. Stage 3 comp cams

Already have full kooks exhaust 1-7/8".

Right now I'm pulling 450rwhp...should easily cap 500 here. Stay tuned

PS. If anyone has a race fuel tune with advanced timing I'd be interested to know how many degrees you were able to get peak gains.

Last edited:

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
I would guess you should gain 70-90+rwhp especially on some great fuel. Most fellas ive seen do this hit 505-510rwhp on 93 pump gas. Might wanna check out getting Livernois to do your heads (CNC) you would likely gain 25-30+rwhp with that. As far as timing goes maybe one of the tuners will enter and give first hand knowledge. Keep us posted :thumbsup:

Last edited:

pufferfish

Established Member
glad to see you are pulling the trigger, darren! who's going to tune it for you? i am anxious to see what it turns the rollers at! waiting anxiously for results! :pop:

darreng505

Established Member
I'm switching off the comp cams and going with MMR custom road race grind. They're doing some builds for AIX/NASA cars out there and I got some good info. These cams aren't even on their website yet. Natural, strong overlapping idle.
Combined limiter/lock, revs up faster than two part approach (what I was told) and saves 3lbs. Woot!

Way more power/torque gain than CC's which are NSR...the MMR cams require race springs....<on>beast mode....</on> :rockon::fm:

Last edited:

pufferfish

Established Member
sweet! since i dyno over there, i can compare apples to apples dyno graphs:beer:

very interested to see what the MMR cams spec at. hope they use all 13mm of lift available on the boss heads.

this build is fast turning into a monster build! has anyone you've talked to been concerned with 8k rpm sustained in road racing on the stock boss internals?

darreng505

Established Member
sweet! since i dyno over there, i can compare apples to apples dyno graphs:beer:

very interested to see what the MMR cams spec at. hope they use all 13mm of lift available on the boss heads.

this build is fast turning into a monster build! has anyone you've talked to been concerned with 8k rpm sustained in road racing on the stock boss internals?

No. The mmr guys gave me the green light. But even still it wont be sustained 8k. Just brushing it.

The mmr guys said they run up to 10k. Lol. Insanity.

pufferfish

Established Member
Good to know my boss engine will hold up! True, 8k isn't held for very long. I can't even imagine running to 10k...definitely not shifting an MT-82!

Are the mmr cams going to be timely enough to get you up and running by the end of the month?

darreng505

Established Member
Good to know my boss engine will hold up! True, 8k isn't held for very long. I can't even imagine running to 10k...definitely not shifting an MT-82!

Are the mmr cams going to be timely enough to get you up and running by the end of the month?

Yep. They will arrive mid week. Appt with rev two weeks out. Inaugural run at vir mid july.

pufferfish

Established Member
Can't wait to see how she runs! I plan on being there too...with a 5th gear! Hope to get rev to do a retune before vir as well. I don't want to have to run 100 octane, so I'm going a touch detuned. So, when are you going to do the driver school to get your license for AIX?

darreng505

Established Member
Can't wait to see how she runs! I plan on being there too...with a 5th gear! Hope to get rev to do a retune before vir as well. I don't want to have to run 100 octane, so I'm going a touch detuned. So, when are you going to do the driver school to get your license for AIX?

Itll be october. I couldnt squeeze into Phoenix's schedule for the cagework by july 18. So thats why im doing the motor now. Off to phoenix after vir.

darreng505

Established Member
Puff, so MMR says their cams require lockouts which will negate the ViCT. What's your opinion on that? I assume it means no engine braking et. al? Is that worth it?

pufferfish

Established Member
the lockouts just mean there is no adjustment in the valve timing events to be able to have great low end torque and high end power. you will just have high end power. you will not lose the engine braking, as its more a function of throttle blade than anything else. that function is all in the tune. request it of adam when he tunes it. my car was the first he did it on and it works fantastically.

as a single purpose engine, you will not miss the ViVCT and might like the predictability better. they can be notchy and deliver less than smooth changes, which result in the "v-tec" feeling of getting to a certain rpm and getting a surge of power.

here's a thought for you though. adam can tune comp stage 3 cams with full ViVCT. there is no reason he couldn't tune these custom cams with the cam timing function as well, but he should also be able to tune it to virtually lock the cam phasers. the MMR cam sprockets have adjustment. I am sure they won't be a bolt-in and go. the cam cover will need to be pulled to make any changes as the engine is tuned. that may be a lot of time added to your dyno day...or week at that point. i watched adam tune my car ALL DAY and he went through the phaser timing in small increments to get optimal power. he is either going to limit the increment resolution to minimize the time spent or go off a spec sheet provided by MMR to preset the sprocket adjustment once and just maximize the other areas of the tune. i would ask adam what he thinks is best.

az20115.0

Established Member
I would go with a cam which allows the tuner to have full tivct control... mid range power is very important especially if you don't want to shift multiple times every time you go into or go through a turn. Just because cam manufacturer says you have to lock them, doesn't mean that's the case. . Maybe on the 3v cars but I don't think on these

pufferfish

Established Member
Darren, you going to consider rev auto's advice on using e85? I stopped in the over the week and Bradley had some compelling arguments for e85 on my car for the track instead of detuning to run 93 after it heat soaks. I'm considering it! I like the idea of never heat soaking!

darreng505

Established Member
Darren, you going to consider rev auto's advice on using e85? I stopped in the over the week and Bradley had some compelling arguments for e85 on my car for the track instead of detuning to run 93 after it heat soaks. I'm considering it! I like the idea of never heat soaking!

Ive pondered that for some time. Problem is its hard to find and it has to be flushed from the car over winters or algae and sludge will grow. I just got a 50 gallon refueling tank for the truck and am getting 112 race fuel loaded today. Has similar qualities as E8 but also, more power. Burns fast. Non-corrosive. But more expensive and less environmentally friendly.

Users who are viewing this thread