Clutch fork adjustment question

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
can someone explain to me how to fix this properly.... I bought this car this way and was built by a professional performance shop. it has a McLeod RXT twin disk clutch and McLeod flywheel with a upgraded 26 liberty spline.

so my clutch fork is hitting the trans housing (aka its all they way over to the right in this photo) WITHOUT the cable attached it still is against the trans housing..(it is being forced against the housing by the pressure plate..this is causing the TOB to slightly be engaged on the pressure plate without the cable even attached. this is set up incorrectly right???

how do i fix this so my TOB can properly disengage? there is no room left for the clutch fork to go further toward the rear of the car.....
THIS IS NOT A PICTURE OF MY CAR. ITS JUST HERE TO HELP EXPLAIN.
clutch%20fork%201_zpsmedx70nc.jpg

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Personally I don't think you have a problem because in my experience I've come to believe that the tob is a constant velocity bearing and there should always be a preload.

But to actually make what you want to happen, I believe you would need to install a different length pivot ball, and also use the spring mod down at the fork area (I forget the name, I think it's called the LCD mod).

Best of luck with it -

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
You could also remove the weight from the fork and that will let it go back just a little bit more.

Newtermiowner03

Established Member
Personally I don't think you have a problem because in my experience I've come to believe that the tob is a constant velocity bearing and there should always be a preload.

But to actually make what you want to happen, I believe you would need to install a different length pivot ball, and also use the spring mod down at the fork area (I forget the name, I think it's called the LCD mod).

Best of luck with it -

This guy I believe is your correct answer. It's not a cable adjustment issue. I would try adjusting the pivot ball outward to angle the clutch fork slightly more. Adjusting in would only wear your pressure plate and TOB. I do agree that the TOB will always be under load but it should not be to the point where it's engaging your clutch. I don't believe this is going to be fixed without dropping the transmission but maybe someone with a little more experience will weigh in here. Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member

Best of luck with it -

This guy I believe is your correct answer. It's not a cable adjustment issue. I would try adjusting the pivot ball outward to angle the clutch fork slightly more. Adjusting in would only wear your pressure plate and TOB. I do agree that the TOB will always be under load but it should not be to the point where it's engaging your clutch. I don't believe this is going to be fixed without dropping the transmission but maybe someone with a little more experience will weigh in here. Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

What these guys said. I have the same issue with my set up. The PO installed the clutch. But overall it's working fine so I'm not in a big hurry to pull the trans.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
looks like the wrong or incorrectly adjusted pivot ball. I had to adjust mine several times to get it right. I didnt know any better way to do it other than adjust it, put trans back in, check it, pull it back out, adjust again and repeat. Thankfully mine was all on the ground.

too much preload on the TOB is going to kill to TOB and possibly the clutch if its keeping it from fully engaging

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
Okay so I figured this out. When I changed the cable to an oem one this winter I had to change the quadrant to a double hook to get it adjusted correctly. To make this short.... the cable was to tight and not adjusted right. So I just adjusted it correctly.

Since I bought the car the TOB would squeak I finally fixed that with the free play kit. I think. There is slight preload but the clutch is not slipping and the TOB is not squeaking.

I'm in no hurry to mess with pulling a trans. Summer is just starting here in IL.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

WHITESTRIPES

Established Member
Thanks for the update. I have the opposite problem, my fork is too far to the left! The cover won't go on now, any one have suggestions for this?

Four Door SVT

Established Member
Thanks for the update. I have the opposite problem, my fork is too far to the left! The cover won't go on now, any one have suggestions for this?

Could just push it in, it just clips on to the ball. You may need a new Pictor ball
But try pushing it on probably need to disconnect the cable

WHITESTRIPES

Established Member
Could just push it in, it just clips on to the ball. You may need a new Pictor ball
But try pushing it on probably need to disconnect the cable
I replaced my pivot ball, fork, tob when I did my clutch.
I had to move the cable down to the other hook on the quadrant because it was way too tight.
I have the tob adjusted just off the fingers with a free play kit to help push it to the right too, but it's still too far to the left, now the inspection cover won't go back on.
I'm definitely lost since everything is brand new...

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
Post up some pics.

If I understand u correctly just move the cable back some and let the tob sit a little farther off the pressure plate fingers. Just to were the cable clutch fork allows cover fits and call it a day. The lcd free play kit will pick up the slack.
You can't be that fair off I would imagine.... but pictures would help

WHITESTRIPES

Established Member
I'll try to get some pics up. It's so loose even with the free play kit.
The weird thing is it was way to tight on the lower quadrant hook, and too loose on the lower hook, even with the free play kit.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
I'll try to get some pics up. It's so loose even with the free play kit.
The weird thing is it was way to tight on the lower quadrant hook, and too loose on the lower hook, even with the free play kit.
Please tell me your components.
What quadrant double or triple hook?, firewall adjuster? make of cable.

I guess I truly don't understand the issue. Pictures would help. Something isn't adjusted correctly.

You changed the pivot point of clutch fork?

WHITESTRIPES

Established Member
Spec 3+ (light pedal option)
Rebuilt flywheel (stock)
LMR fire wall adjuster
LMR quadrant, double hook
Stock cable

When input the spec clutch in, every thing stayed the same set up wise. Re used my steeda single hook and the clutch was way too tight even with the fire wall adjuster all the way in.
I put on a double hook on the lower setting and it's now too loose and to bring the tob on the clutch fingers (or just off them with a free play kit) it's still too far to the left side, not letting the cover go back on.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
There can be many issues but sounds like it's not adjusted correctly. If I understand correctly you won't be able to engage the clutch even if the cable is adjusted correctly cause the clutch fork is to far toward the engine. And will hit the transmission housing when engaged .....

When u post up some pics. I can help more.

Who did the clutch work?

Users who are viewing this thread