clutch opinions needed

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Thinking I need a clutch in the Mach-Notch because it is releasing right at the bottom and all the adjustment is out. (1988 Fox with all Mach 1 components) It has the Mach 5 speed and engine and I assume that it makes stock power, however the engine is built for boost should I or someone else want to do it.
I don't want a heavy pedal. What are some good options for this car?

BackPressure

Established Member
Premium Member
I’m using an Exedy Mach 400 Stage 2 with their lightweight flywheel in my 01 Cobra and am really liking it.

The car had a Spec when I bought it, but it was pretty worn down so I can’t honestly compare the pedal feel. I’ve used Valeo in the past as a direct OEM replacement and was very happy with it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
If releasing at the bottom you should still be able to tighten the cable. The true test would be acceleration at hwy speed in 4th gear. Not that there is anything wrong with buying a new clutch, just the way you describe it sounds opposite. Stock quadrant?

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
If releasing at the bottom you should still be able to tighten the cable. The true test would be acceleration at hwy speed in 4th gear. Not that there is anything wrong with buying a new clutch, just the way you describe it sounds opposite. Stock quadrant?

You know, you have a point. I took the car to the shop thinking that the clutch needed adjusting. The guy told me that it can't be adjusted anymore. I haven't tried to see if it is slipping but just assumed that it needed replacing.
No, it is not the stock quadrant but I don't know which one is on it. It seems like I remember the guy that i bought if from saying that he had replaced the cable though.

AlloyPony

Established Member
I was about to post the same type of question. My Mach has 129,000 miles and I'm thinking about the clutch replacement soon. But my car is very lightly modded, so which clutch would be the best replacement? Something that'll hold well, last a long time, and have light pedal feel.

Looks like a lot of guys like the McLeod clutches. Are they better than Exedy?

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
After trying the 4th gear pull everything seems okay as far as slip goes. The pedal does release very close to the bottom but the clutch is not slipping. Guess that is the way this clutch is going to be??

^^^
I can tell you my experience with the McLeod clutch, "RXT" in a 2010 making 610 to the wheels. It was a great clutch and McLeod would be one that I would consider for this car but it would be the RST because I don't race this car. But I was hoping someone would offer a single disc option with light peddle feel and stock like slip.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Looking at the clutch cable on the transmission it appears that there is no way to adjust the clutch from there. The fork is almost all the way towards the back of the car which is barley off the throw out bearing. I do have an adjustable quadrant but it has only two adjustments. While doing some research i see that there is a firewall adjuster. Is this needed and if so what brand seems to be the best?

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Never mind, it has one on it. The shop nor I looked. Hopefully it can be adjusted out and all will be good.

4a7191a

Established Member
I ran the 03-04 Ford racing cobra clutch and aluminum flywheel. It's seen years of abuse and has been reliable. Figured at the time if they can take the abuse of a stock 03 cobra for years of service that it would do me fine and it has.
Id not go overkill on the mach1 clutch unless running a power adder. there's simply not a need for it.

fitforspeed

Established Member
Thinking I need a clutch in the Mach-Notch because it is releasing right at the bottom and all the adjustment is out. (1988 Fox with all Mach 1 components) It has the Mach 5 speed and engine and I assume that it makes stock power, however the engine is built for boost should I or someone else want to do it.
I don't want a heavy pedal. What are some good options for this car?

SPEC has a light pedal option with the stage 3+ single disk that I use. I believe it is rated to hold up to around 800hp. It has been a pretty good clutch with a decent pedal feel. I believe that SPEC is based out of Ga so you may not be all that far from them. I have tried many, many different clutches and this seems to be the simplest and best option for a single disk setup. I have not tried their twin disk setup but not really needed unless you are going to make over 800 in my opinion. I have used two other brands twin disk setups in the past and just found myself wanting to go back to a single disk.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread