Clutch pedal returning issues still...

StalkerStang

Established Member
A couple months back, after throwing my GT350 manifold on, I encountered the clutch pedal not returning when trying to shift over 7K. The car peaked at 7250 on a Mustang dyno so its making power up there, but I can't utilize it in any gear but 4th (running through the traps). If I keep it under 7K its fine, but anything above and the pedal only comes back about halfway and slips for at least a second or two before it gets back to full power.

I started cheap first, switched out to dot 4 fluid, then I replaced the clutch fluid line with a braided steel one from Mcleod. No change with either of those.

I pretty much came to just deciding I needed to upgrade my clutch as it seems the pressure plate is the culprit from what I've read. Well today I finished breaking in my Mcleod Extreme Street and decided to hammer it through the gears today and it still has the same exact issue. Anything over 7K, pedal only comes back half way, under 7K, its fine.

Has anyone else gone down this road, what ended up actually fixing the issue? I've heard removing the assist spring works for some people but not others. I really was trying to avoid spending the money on a twin disc set-up......

KBBoss302

Established Member
Ugh sorry to hear that the new clutch hasn't fixed it - you and I spoke about clutch issues in another thread a while back. I think you should remove the assist spring (takes 2 minutes) and see what happens.

How does the actual shifter feel? Is it reluctant to go into gear at 7k+?

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
I've also heard that the clutch assist spring is a viable culprit for this issue. I didn't remove mine, but instead went with the Steeda one. I can still get the clutch to hang a little if I rev it high at idle, but it hasn't done it while moving since I did the swap.

StalkerStang

Established Member
How does the actual shifter feel? Is it reluctant to go into gear at 7k+?

I don't have issues engaging the gears. It goes in fine, just the pedal only half way returning for a second or two.

I will try to pop the assist spring out later today. I'll also look at the steed assist spring too.

KBBoss302

Established Member
Well hopefully removing the spring will do the trick. I only had that happen a couple of times with stock clutch but had the constant high rpm lockout issue (and a very stiff shift lever) until I went with the RST.

02trubluegt

Semper Fi
Established Member
let me know what spring does, I am having the same problem. I wanna know if this fixes your issues, before I do what you did and go out and replace everything. LOL at least you know you have the nice stuff in there now

StalkerStang

Established Member
Well I popped the spring out before I went to the gym, used the needle nose vise grip method (took less than a minute). On the way back I ran it up to 7500 in 2nd and 3rd..... still have the same issue. No change at all. I will say I do like the clutch pedal feel better now though. The only part that sucks is the play at the top but I ordered the lighter Steeda spring so when that comes in I'll pop that one in. More linear feel to the clutch now, not much stiffer if any at all.

Still sad about the slip at high rpm though..... I can't do a twin disc clutch right now either. Anyone ever try replacing the clutch master cylinder? Or know the symptoms of one that is worn? Lol before I'm done the entire clutch system will be new!

KBBoss302

Established Member
I hate to say it, but I think you are having the same issues I had with both stock and Spec Stg 1 clutches. I went through all of the mental games, trying to rule out every possibility (bleed the clutch line, yet another new slave, etc). Only thing that fixed it was the RST. I beat on my car last night and the car is so much fun when you can bang off 7800rpm shifts.

I feel your $$$ pain. Welcome to the (Broke Mustang Owner) club.

StalkerStang

Established Member
I'm a veteran member lol my 90 LX has taken money from me for 10+ years!

But yeah I think it may be the only thing to fix it. Really blows though.... supposed to go to the track Friday too.

KBBoss302

Established Member
It's just money, right? Hah!

Good luck guys. I researched the heck out of the high rpm lockout issue and talked to a ton of experts about it and it just kept pointing in the direction of the RST - even though McLeod itself recommended the RXT for my relatively stock Boss (intake, tune, axlebacks). I am very, very, very pleased with the RST and hopefully you guys will be, too.

KBBoss302

Established Member
It is frustrating driving the car when you can't enjoy it properly. The smile on your face when you can hammer on the car properly is worth the money, I must say.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I suspect the root cause has nothing to do with the assist spring, but removing helps alleviate the issue for some and rightly would. Bare with me here.

I'm working on developing real corrections to this and several other issues with the MT82.

With the lockout problem, I believe the problem is related to the throwout bearing hydraulic circuit design as a whole. It seems like the throwout bearing itself and/or the master cylinder is sticking from either contamination, oxidation, or internal damage. I suspect it is either the result of sharing the brake reservoir, inadequate return through the hydraulic line, improper cylinder clearance of the throwout piston, or a combination of the three.

StalkerStang

Established Member
I hope not.... my car did the same thing with the stock clutch and original slave cylinder as it does now with the Extreme Street and a new Ford slave.....

But I should have an update in a couple weeks. It seems a Mcleod RST may make its way into my life next week.

KBBoss302

Established Member
BigPoppa - good luck in your endeavor but I'm pretty sure that you are overthinking things. Many of us have been through multiple clutches/flywheels/slaves/shifters/brackets/lines/fluids/etc etc etc and found that nothing cured it until going with a sufficient clutch (RST in my case).

Stalker - hopefully your RST fixes the problems you have had since you bumped your power peak. Seems like us high revving Boss peeps are universally happy with the RST.

Canadian5.0

Established Member
Haven't had any issues on the stock clutch above 7k with the spring removed. As for lockout it used to drive me nuts at the track 2/3 and even 3/4 I had to be very deliberate. I put a Barton 2 post/shifter in and it was the best driveability mods I've done. Easy to shift, not much nvh, and no more missing gears.

The stock post from ford on mine had zap straps holding the bushing on.

StalkerStang

Established Member
I have just the Barton 2 post bracket with the stock shifter. I've never had lockout, and have no issues getting it in gear. Just pedal issues....

Waiting for my RST.....

StalkerStang

Established Member
Well after dealing with Mcleod about my issues with pedal return at high rpm, they asked for the Extreme Street Clutch back. A few weeks later I got my RST and their steel flywheel..... holy shit this clutch is very light! Pedal wise I mean.... I think it's an easier feel than the stock clutch.

It shifts better with the RST as well. After I break it in, I'll hammer it up to 7500 and see how she does!

Users who are viewing this thread