Clutch safety switch instructions

RBB

Established Member
Anyone have instructions on how to replace the clutch safety switch (Ford calls it the
F5RZ-11A152-A F5RZ-11A152-A / Neutral Safety Switch )?

Been having random issues with the car not starting. It's hard to diagnose the issue, since I can't consistently replicate it. I'll turn the key, and accessories turn on, but the car won't turn over, no clicking, nothing. My battery and alt are good, starter is good, so I can't imagine it would be anything else. This just randomly happens....seems like it'll be ok for a few weeks then it'll act up. It won't start for a number of key turns and then will just fire up and be totally normal for a while.

When I look back there at the pedals, I can't actually see the switch. Does the pedal assembly have to be removed to get to it?

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
It just clips in above the clutch pedal. I'll send you a picture of it on my assembly when I get home this afternoon.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
It just clips in above the clutch pedal.
I think what you're describing is the speed control sensor that keeps the engine from revving when the clutch is depressed.

If you look at the pedal assembly below, you'll notice the metal piece sticking out to the left mid-way down the clutch pedal just beneath the master cylinder rod. That bracket should be what activates the neutral safety switch.

photo4-jpg.1242517

Snoopy49

Established Member
Check the rubber pad on the bracket Catmonkey pointed out. They have been known to drop off and when this happens, the bracket won't contact the switch and the starter won't do it's job.

Clutch Interlock Switch 2.jpg

2013 GT500 Clutch Assist Spring Removal.jpg

Study the locking tab on the lower right of the switch. You need to push up on the locking tang and then pull the switch towards you and lift up when the feet clear the bracket.

Clutch Pedal Position (CPP) Switch.jpg

P9202565.jpg

Last edited:

RBB

Established Member
Check the rubber pad on the bracket Catmonkey pointed out. They have been known to drop off and when this happens, the bracket won't contact the switch and the starter won't do it's job.

View attachment 1409843

View attachment 1409845

Study the locking tab on the lower right of the switch. You need to push up on the locking tang and then pull the switch towards you and lift up when the feet clear the bracket.

View attachment 1409848
View attachment 1409852
Very helpful Snoopy, thanks a lot man. Part of the issue is it's such a tight spot down there, it's hard to get a good look at things. Should be able to get it done using these pics.

RBB

Established Member
I think what you're describing is the speed control sensor that keeps the engine from revving when the clutch is depressed.

If you look at the pedal assembly below, you'll notice the metal piece sticking out to the left mid-way down the clutch pedal just beneath the master cylinder rod. That bracket should be what activates the neutral safety switch.

photo4-jpg.1242517
Thanks buddy. I'm going to check that bracket first....wouldn't be surprised if the rubber pad has fallen off or something.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
It's a contortionist nightmare to work under that dash. When I changed out my clutch master cylinder for the later model, I had to remove the front driver seat. If you get to that point, stack up towels or blankets in front of and behind the elevated beam that goes across the floorboard. Your back will thank you.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Snoopy what's a cruise assist spring? :D

Sorry, it was a misprint, should be "Clutch assist spring". I just put up an old picture and didn't notice the spelling error.

Posted the correct picture.

Last edited:

RBB

Established Member
It's a contortionist nightmare to work under that dash. When I changed out my clutch master cylinder for the later model, I had to remove the front driver seat. If you get to that point, stack up towels or blankets in front of and behind the elevated beam that goes across the floorboard. Your back will thank you.
Exactly why I haven't had a real good look at it, very cramped down there. I actually had the seat out about 3 weeks ago to mess with the track and didn't bother to look at it since the problem has been so sporadic. Should have knocked it out at the time, but I'll just pull the seat again....only takes about 5 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread