Cobra Jet Intake manifold CAI Set up interest??

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
Ah ha, thank you for the clarification sir. So on a setup like this you would build a tune without the PCV system and take off the passenger side as well or are you somehow going to continue to use the drivers side PCV? I know it sounds like a pretty stupid question but that is what comes from a pretty stupid person lol. I am not to bright when it comes to how the PCV system works so I will have to educate myself more on this subject.

I ran a hose from the DS PCV to a brass fitting I bought and stuck in the NPT thread under the intake. Pics in other thread

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Shaun are there any issues with this breather setup?

IMG_2032_zpsc0feb852.jpg

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Shaun are there any issues with this breather setup?

IMG_2032_zpsc0feb852.jpg

5 DOT 0, Could you install a CPC battery cover over the peterson oil breather? it looks like you could mount the bracket a little to the right to clear the battery cover but idk. I just bought a set from YellowBoss today

stang8psi

Established Member
5 dot o, you have them both going to a vented catch can.. it's just like putting a breather on each side.. You are fine with that setup.

Last edited:

Deranged2013

Established Member
What mods are done to that car? Those numbers hint more than boltons and CJ IM. I'm wondering if the other supporting mods are increasing the HP and TQ gains with the swap. Wish there was a comparison on a basic bolt on car and the swap.

I believe it has upgraded cams, mildly ported heads. Boss valve springs, and of course long tubes with off road pipes. Not sure on the fuel type. I read a thread a while back that posted the mods to this car but can't remember where. I read up on it because this car was hitting high 10's at the track.

davefzr

Established Member
Yessir

That's a members car (took the pic from his build thread in the 2011 GT section).

I've done 2 of these setups now. The above GT and another Members 2012 Boss. GT is coming in on Friday for custom TiVCT changes on the Dyno.

The JLT unit is for a 2010 GT and has a 110MM Maf housing. A little big IMO, but it works out OK.

What was the setup of this car and the final numbers?

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
My buddy Adam @ Revolution posted results a while back, but it was with a different Custom CAI. His results were 20HP over the Boss I believe.
I want to say it was 7HP with the stock GT500 TB, so most of the gains seem to be with the TB.

The amazing part was that it out powered the Boss IM thruought the RPM band.

Can anyone else confirm this, I would've though most of the gains come from the manifold/intake, but coming from Shaun.. I know they guy is hardly wrong with this stuff. I guess I'll have to wait and see Greyhatches comparison or when I do my build, I'm going for e85 boltons, no heads or cams (yet). But if I do this build with the gt500 tb and yield less than 10whp/10tq I'd be real pissed.

darreng505

Established Member
No one has commented on torque numbers which is what matters for acceleration. And I think its because you don't see any torque gains from this setup, so I'll be passing on it.

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
Can anyone else confirm this, I would've though most of the gains come from the manifold/intake, but coming from Shaun.. I know they guy is hardly wrong with this stuff. I guess I'll have to wait and see Greyhatches comparison or when I do my build, I'm going for e85 boltons, no heads or cams (yet). But if I do this build with the gt500 tb and yield less than 10whp/10tq I'd be real pissed.

Do not do the GT500 TB. It's a bottleneck and worse than the boss setup. Bite down and do the SCJ with a 4.5" CAI. It will be 460 rwhp+ on 91 all day long on GT heads/cams. On a boss it should be 470+ See below:

While researching and engineering the correct CAI diameter, I went through the following calculations to see where the true bottleneck is and what’s really required based upon it. Obviously airflow through a pipe is dependent upon the surface area of that pipe, so I decided to do a comparison of various throttle bodies – actual surface area of airflow. What I found was pretty astonishing; the SCJ TB is in a league of its own for serious flow area. The 4.5 inch seems to be the best combination of flow, drivability and nicest transition to the 5 inch OD on the TB without restriction. 5 inch is overkill based on the TB constraint. The 4 inch and 4.25 inch should theoretically make the same power as the 4.5 inch, but it’s more of a step down at the TB. I can clearly see now why the 4.5 inch made 10 more hp than my JLT. I’d also like to bet that the CJ dual 65 with any CAI being at 9 square inches is 10-15 hp less than the SCJ and 4.5 inch CAI. I’m glad I went with the SCJ.

Throttle body intake side surface areas:

GT500 Dual 60mm = 8.77 sq in minus throttle plate rail area (1.18 sq in) = 7.59 sq in
Dual 63.5mm = 9.82 sq in minus throttle plate rail area (1.25 sq in) = 8.57 sq in
For reference: Single 90mm = 9.86 sq in minus throttle plate rail area (0.88 sq in) = 8.98 sq in
CJ Dual 65mm = 10.29 sq in minus throttle plate rail area (1.27 sq in) = 9.02 sq in
SCJ Mono-Blade TB = 13.78 sq in minus throttle plate rail area (1.45 sq in) = 12.33 sq in

CAI round pipe surface areas:

5 inch = 19.63 sq in
4.5 inch = 15.90 sq in
4.25 inch = 14.19 sq in
4 inch = 12.56 sq in
2010 JLT at tightest spot = 10.01 sq in

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
No one has commented on torque numbers which is what matters for acceleration. And I think its because you don't see any torque gains from this setup, so I'll be passing on it.

446 rwtq. Show me another N/A coyote or boss variant with this kind of torque. You are pretty quick to discredit folks who have actually put it to good use. Torque is not everything, gearing into the proper powerband is everything. Good luck with your setup; you're leaving a lot on the table N/A.

Last edited:

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Do not do the GT500 TB. It's a bottleneck and worse than the boss setup. Bite down and do the SCJ with a 4.5" CAI. It will be 460 rwhp+ on 91 all day long on GT heads/cams. On a boss it should be 470+ See below:

While researching and engineering the correct CAI diameter, I went through the following calculations to see where the true bottleneck is and what’s really required based upon it. Obviously airflow through a pipe is dependent upon the surface area of that pipe, so I decided to do a comparison of various throttle bodies – actual surface area of airflow. What I found was pretty astonishing; the SCJ TB is in a league of its own for serious flow area. The 4.5 inch seems to be the best combination of flow, drivability and nicest transition to the 5 inch OD on the TB without restriction. 5 inch is overkill based on the TB constraint. The 4 inch and 4.25 inch should theoretically make the same power as the 4.5 inch, but it’s more of a step down at the TB. I can clearly see now why the 4.5 inch made 10 more hp than my JLT. I’d also like to bet that the CJ dual 65 with any CAI being at 9 square inches is 10-15 hp less than the SCJ and 4.5 inch CAI. I’m glad I went with the SCJ.

Throttle body intake side surface areas:

GT500 Dual 60mm = 8.77 sq in minus throttle plate rail area (1.18 sq in) = 7.59 sq in
Dual 63.5mm = 9.82 sq in minus throttle plate rail area (1.25 sq in) = 8.57 sq in
For reference: Single 90mm = 9.86 sq in minus throttle plate rail area (0.88 sq in) = 8.98 sq in
CJ Dual 65mm = 10.29 sq in minus throttle plate rail area (1.27 sq in) = 9.02 sq in
SCJ Mono-Blade TB = 13.78 sq in minus throttle plate rail area (1.45 sq in) = 12.33 sq in

CAI round pipe surface areas:

5 inch = 19.63 sq in
4.5 inch = 15.90 sq in
4.25 inch = 14.19 sq in
4 inch = 12.56 sq in
2010 JLT at tightest spot = 10.01 sq in

Damn well that's some bad news for me, being that I have mine sitting in my room. Also, my tuner has issues running the scj mono blade so he refuses to tune them after encountering drivability issues trying to work on other cars with it. I thought th gt500 would flow on par with a 90mm single, doesn't appear so..

Are you still planning on the dyno comparisons between all these tb/intake setups with the cj, to see the different numbers between them?

Last edited:

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
Damn well that's some bad news for me, being that I have mine sitting in my from. Also, my tuner has issues running the scj mono blade so he refuses to tune them after encountering drivability issues trying to work on other cars with it. I thought th gt500 would flow on par with a 90mm single, doesn't appear so..

Are you still planning on the dyno comparisons between all these tb/intake setups with the cj, to see the different numbers between them?

The person dynoing various TB setups is someone else. These are just calculations and measurements comparing surface area of airflow. I would suggest another tuner, becasue mine was perfect. :poke:

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I ended up finding a good deal in the 65mm frpp and ended up buying that, so next best thing to the mono blade and I won't have any tuning issues and should see some solid gains. Ken bjones from Lund does my tuning, I don't know exactly why they've been having issues tuning the mono blade.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread