Cobra Mustang IRS Delrin/UHMW/Alum bushing kit w/adj. sway bar links & bumpsteer kit

neckdemon

Established Member
yeah ok, you're pretty much right. i can deal with a little bit of NVH. especially since i'm usually blasting my radio like you said. one other question, just so i know. i'm assuming that the "cradle" bushings are the same as what has been called "subframe" bushings? just curious because it seems that ford put the wrong size bolts in there. 12mm instead of 14mm. will i be able to install the right size bolts with this set?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
neckdemon said:
yeah ok, you're pretty much right. i can deal with a little bit of NVH. especially since i'm usually blasting my radio like you said. one other question, just so i know. i'm assuming that the "cradle" bushings are the same as what has been called "subframe" bushings? just curious because it seems that ford put the wrong size bolts in there. 12mm instead of 14mm. will i be able to install the right size bolts with this set?

Yes. Subframe and cradle = Same-O Same-O. That's why when I call it a cradle, I always have (sub-frame) right behind it in parentheses.

To maximize efficiency of the cradle mounting points, it is highly recommended (as spelled out in the installation instructions) to also get the 14mm bolts (also available from me if you don't have them?) for the front mounting points. The front mounts have a large enough I.D. for the larger 14mm bolt.

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

neckdemon

Established Member
alright. cool. you can count me in for a complete set. you sure you don't need a deposit? i don't want to find out next week that you don't have any left.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
neckdemon said:
alright. cool. you can count me in for a complete set. you sure you don't need a deposit? i don't want to find out next week that you don't have any left.

I can assure you it's safe! Send me a PM when you're ready!

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
Are you planning on continuing to make these in the future? I simply don't have the money right now but am certainly interested.

I heard the "N" brand bushings were a nightmare. Are yours going to work as well as the MM bushings (as far as installation I mean)?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
JPIStang said:
Are you planning on continuing to make these in the future? I simply don't have the money right now but am certainly interested.

I heard the "N" brand bushings were a nightmare. Are yours going to work as well as the MM bushings (as far as installation I mean)?

Yes, I plan to continue selling these for the foreseeable future.

Our bushings are designed slightly different that the MM set. Which in one way, makes them much less expensive! :idea: But I guarantee you, using our UHMW cradle (sub frame) mounts, will hold the IRS much more solidly than the MM Poly bushings do! :read: Installation is the same.

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
Ok, that's what I was hoping to hear. That was my biggest complaint with the MM bushings, that they still had no delrin option for the subframe bushings.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
JPIStang said:
Ok, that's what I was hoping to hear. That was my biggest complaint with the MM bushings, that they still had no delrin option for the subframe bushings.

Well, Delrin would not be a good material for the sub frame mounts, that's why we are using UHMW there.

We use Delrin on the control arms and rear diff support.

neckdemon

Established Member
hey. what's up? how many sets do you have left? because it would be really cool if i can wait like another week or so before i order these bushings from you.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
neckdemon said:
hey. what's up? how many sets do you have left? because it would be really cool if i can wait like another week or so before i order these bushings from you.

No problem. Parts will be in stock! We ran a bunch!

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Well, Delrin would not be a good material for the sub frame mounts, that's why we are using UHMW there.

We use Delrin on the control arms and rear diff support.

Reading about it now. (UHMW that is)

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Just as an update here guys, I now have the correct 14mm front mounting bolts with nylock flanged locking nuts at $9.00 each. No extra charge for the shipping when thrown in with purchase of any bushing order.

neckdemon

Established Member
hey, i'm still intereste din buying a set of these bushings. i ran into some shit unfortunately and won't have the loot until two weeks from now when i get my next paycheck. think you'll still have a set by then?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
neckdemon said:
hey, i'm still intereste din buying a set of these bushings. i ran into some shit unfortunately and won't have the loot until two weeks from now when i get my next paycheck. think you'll still have a set by then?

Yes, no problem! :thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
I am considering replacing my bushings again and would like to know in what way are these bushings different from the ones I bought from nick. I have already invested a considerable amount of money and plenty of time with these bushings. I am only going to do this one more time. If that means using the kit you offer, great, but if I have to I'll cough up the change and buy the MM kit. I don't know any of the specifics on your kit, but at first look these appear to be identical to what I already have. I would like a few more details before I make a final decision. I am interested in the upper and lower control arms specifically. You can pm me if you prefer. Thanks.

YardSpecial

War Veteran X 2
Established Member
OK have a 01 Cobra, how is this for a DD driver in terms of longevity ???

Trying to convince myself $600 for bushings...........

TIA

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
magstang1 said:
I am considering replacing my bushings again and would like to know in what way are these bushings different from the ones I bought from nick. I have already invested a considerable amount of money and plenty of time with these bushings. I am only going to do this one more time. If that means using the kit you offer, great, but if I have to I'll cough up the change and buy the MM kit. I don't know any of the specifics on your kit, but at first look these appear to be identical to what I already have. I would like a few more details before I make a final decision. I am interested in the upper and lower control arms specifically. You can pm me if you prefer. Thanks.

The biggest difference is these fit! ;-) I also started out with the Brand "N" bushings and didn't get them in the car. Nothing fit right. So that's when I decided to design these. The main difference between the two sets is the upper control arms on Nick's set originally had a 3/4" inner steel sleeve. I found two problems with that. #1, the 3/4" diameter was too small and wore prematurely and #2, the steel rusted. I'm not sure what the largest contributing factor was, the small diameter or the corrosion? But the inner steel sleeve only lasted me one season. (understand, I am one of the most serious track ho's on this board! :-D ) One season on my car is like five years or more on the street. So I decided to go to a 7/8" aluminum inner sleeve on the uppers with our set. I'm seriously thinking about going to a 1" diameter aluminum on the next generation parts. This will require the removal of the sleeve in the upper control arms. Something that is NOT required on the previous generation bushings.

I also did not like the way Nick designed the rear diff support so I redesigned it using two flanged Delrin pieces instead of the single non-flanged bushing he used.

I hope that answers your questions?

01LaserCobra said:
OK have a 01 Cobra, how is this for a DD driver in terms of longevity ???

Trying to convince myself $600 for bushings...........

TIA

For a DD this is a decision only you can make. The set was originally designed for track use and completly changes the characteristics of the IRS. (In a good way of course!)

If you hate wheel hop, you will love this set. If you want a firmly planted ass end for corner carving, you are going to love what this set does to your car.

Keep in mind, in order to accomplish these things you must give something in return. NVH levels will rise. The aluminum front diff mount is the biggest offender. But, if you have a full interior and a rear seat it won't be too bad. Turn the stereo up a little! ;-) There is so much rubber and play in the stock set up there is no wonder it's all over the place.

Installing this set is a fairly ambitious undertaking . Make sure you have a facility and tools at your disposal. Make sure you have some help! Two heads are better than one. Don't do this if you need the car the next day unless you want to pull an all nighter! :-D Yadda yadda yadda.

And it's not $600.00 only $550.00!! :poke:

Users who are viewing this thread