Cobra R values (Please offer your opinion)

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
When it comes to these type of cars, private and auction prices are the guide. The sale prices, not asking. I'm glad to see the day a 93 Cobra is approaching 50k. It's a testament to the cars sentimental nature and most guys from that generation want to relive thier youth. There is no guide accurate enough to represent that.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
This section is quiet by nature. It only covers the 3 Rs with production numbers of 107, 250 and 300. The cars are also old, so not many people swinging by to talk about new problems or the latest mods....

Goose,
This section was really busy back in the early years until ~2010-2012.

I have written data on the cars that were traded back then.

I attended the 40th Mustang Anniversary in Nashville on April 15th, 2004. *We had a lot of Cobra R cars*. I also attended the Cobra R convention at the Autobahn Country Club (near Chicago) in about ~2005 or 2006. The race track sent all of our Cobra R cars out on the race track for pictures (I have a copy).

The interest has faded a bit. My opinion is that a lot of cars are just in storage, and the owners are more interested in their new GT350.

I have owned a 2007 GT, a 2010 GT, and a 2011 5.0 GT since then (all are gone now):

07GT.jpg

2010GT002a.jpg

2011Mustang-1.jpg

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Goose,
This section was really busy back in the early years until ~2010-2012.

I have written data on the cars that were traded back then.

I attended the 40th Mustang Anniversary in Nashville on April 15th, 2004. *We had a lot of Cobra R cars*. I also attended the Cobra R convention at the Autobahn Country Club (near Chicago) in about ~2005 or 2006. The race track sent all of our Cobra R cars out on the race track for pictures (I have a copy).

The interest has faded a bit. My opinion is that a lot of cars are just in storage, and the owners are more interested in their new GT350.

I have owned a 2007 GT, a 2010 GT, and a 2011 5.0 GT since then (all are gone now):

Good looking cars!

I currently own a handful of Mustangs ranging in horsepower from 225 to 750. My 385hp 00R is my absolute favorite, so I still get jazzed up reading and chatting about them. These cars are far from the latest/greatest though so waning interest is normal.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
All low mileage cars will get a premium. All values are higher with paperwork and other stuff from the car's era.

I first researched the current 2018 Sports Car Market Price Guide. They offer a median value on these cars:

1993 R = $68,000
1995 R = $31,000
2000 R = $17,500

Here is my opinion on these cars:

93R = $65,000
95R = $25,000
00R = $25,000

My old car has over 10K miles on it. It has only been driven hard. I have a new set of original sticker tires on the original wheels in my basement (these are Ford replica wheels with non original tires):
View attachment 1513974
A 2000 Cobra R for $17K. I would get a loan and flip it the next day.

Sent from a non multiquoting device at svtperformance.com mobile app

FJohnny

Established Member
This might be a bit off topic but I was wondering:

Hypothetically, let's say a guy bought a '14 GT brand new and lovingly installed a Ford Racing blower and a whole bunch of suspension crap. And let's say the total msrp of the parts was about $50k plus but the guy only paid about $30k for the car and stuff.

The amount the guy likes his car has an approximate dollar value of between 40k and 50k (if you can put a $ value on liking) because he worked on it with his daughters and he's gotten some awesome sleeper value from it on the freeways.

If some 'other guy' online quoted a legit source, however inaccurate, saying the value of the guy's car is between $15k - $25k and asked the guy's opinion on similar vehicles' values would the guy be justified in being a bit mad and defensive toward the 'other guy' who asked? Or would the 'other guy' be considered an a-hole?

I'm just wondering because I know a guy with a car like that who was reading another thread on this site about values of 11-14 GT's. He's a bit thin skinned and not very bright so he was a little offended. I....oops, I mean he should probably accept what a previous poster said in that valuations are estimates only and real values can only determined when the money changes hands. I'm going to let him know so he can chill out a bit.

Damn...now I really want one of those R's. Any one of them. But I sure hope it's for $17k.

All the best.

FJohnny

Established Member
The only R you will ever have a chance of getting for $17K is a used and abused 95R with high miles. As for a 93 or 00.....No Way!

Oh, yeah? Well, I'll just have to get out there and look in a bunch of old barns and hang around funerals of old guys who have been ill for awhile. There must be loads of R's that haven't been driven for years that the surviving owners just want to get rid of out there.

It must be true. I've read about that happening on the internet and I think there may even be a show on V channel about that.

Or, I could just go and win a huge lottery. Probably about the same odds.

I believe you are correct about your guesses on prices. I would still really like one, though. And used mustangs often sell cheap around where I live because of short season. (Snowing here AGAIN today!) Fingers crossed for both lottery and rare find. Wish me luck.

All the best.

Cobramustang1993

Established Member
All low mileage cars will get a premium. All values are higher with paperwork and other stuff from the car's era.

I first researched the current 2018 Sports Car Market Price Guide. They offer a median value on these cars:

1993 R = $68,000
1995 R = $31,000
2000 R = $17,500

93R = $65,000
95R = $25,000
00R = $25,000

My old car has over 10K miles on it. It has only been driven hard. I have a new set of original sticker tires on the original wheels in my basement (these are Ford replica wheels with non original tires):

Having owned all 3 as wrappers in the late 90's and now back in the game, here are my thoughts:

1993 Cobra R *45K- **110K
1995 Cobra R *22K- **48K
2000 Cobra R *38K- **65K

* Driven cars (15-25K miles)
** Ultra-low mileage and or "Wrappers".....

I woud say that values of these cars will appreciate 3-5% per year or more....
We are now seeing 93 Cobras approaching 50K+ at 4993 produced....
R Model Production=650 units (all 3 years combined)......
My recommendation is to buy the 95R for a great entry level value right now,
certain to appreciate at current price levels.....We are seeing declining ads for
all 3 years, and this is a good sign for current owners.....It seems these cars
are being bought now for long-term, resulting in less turnover......and this has
been the pattern for a few years now.....

Last edited by a moderator:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member

1993 R = $68,000
1995 R = $31,000
2000 R = $17,500

93R = $65,000
95R = $25,000
00R = $25,000

I'll offer my opinion on the A+ cars (perfect factory condition with all of the paperwork):
1993 R = $75,000
1995 R = $35,000 (the MSRP)
2000 R = $55,000 (the MSRP)

I'd also say today that 95% of owners do not care what their car is worth. They didn't buy it for any upside value.

BuckeyeDawg

Established Member
I'm in the market for a 95 Cobra R.
I got my driver's license in 1998 and drove a '96 V6 Mustang in high school, therefore the 95R was a dream for me and is the reason for me pursuing it now. That being said, I don't plan on the vehicle being an investment, but I'm trying to gauge what others might think is a fair price.

The particular car I'm looking at has around 15k Miles.
Very Good/Excellent Condition - minor chips & front lower bumper scratches that would be had from a mild driven 14k miles. The engine hood is flawless.
The owner states that the vehicle has not been tracked - yes I realize this is just by word.
Only paperwork included is the original SVT Cobra R Certificate.

What's a reasonable & fair price for me to pay considering these conditions and I'm not interested in it being an "investment car"? $25k-30k?

TFStang

Established Member
I got my driver's license in 1998 and drove a '96 V6 Mustang in high school, therefore the 95R was a dream for me and is the reason for me pursuing it now. That being said, I don't plan on the vehicle being an investment, but I'm trying to gauge what others might think is a fair price.

Very Good/Excellent Condition - minor chips & front lower bumper scratches that would be had from a mild driven 14k miles. The engine hood is flawless.
The owner states that the vehicle has not been tracked - yes I realize this is just by word.

What's a reasonable & fair price for me to pay considering these conditions and I'm not interested in it being an "investment car"? $25k-30k?
With little to no documentation and the condition you described, I would say low $20’s at best. You can still get a wrapper car for low to mid $30’s, so you are working backwards from there. Then it’s a matter of what the car is worth to you, which may add or detract value. Hopefully it has had the bladder changed. Good luck and keep us posted.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
With little to no documentation and the condition you described, I would say low $20’s at best.....Hopefully it has had the bladder changed. Good luck and keep us posted.

I agree.

It will certainly be the last 5.8L Windsor engine in a Mustang, and all of the parts were made for racing and should last a long time.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
$25,000 maximum would by my number, but that would be if the stars aligned. Don't get in a hurry. Not having the windows sticker and other items from manufacture are a negative. Does it have the R owner's manual supplement in addition to the other 95 manuals?

The fuel bladder is a $2,000 replacement or you can go with a fuel cell tank that will set you back about $800 by the time you are done.

You will enjoy the vehicle tremendously if you get it. They are a fun drive.

Tom

Jason95R

Established Member

Sent you a PM. I have a car that you might be interested in.

BuckeyeDawg

Established Member
The fuel bladder is a $2,000 replacement or you can go with a fuel cell tank that will set you back about $800 by the time you are done.
Tom

Thanks for the feedback. I may have found a car that fits my criteria (price, originality, condition). Although not a "wrapper" car, I have spoken to the current owner (3rd overall) and previous owner (2nd overall) and both confirm the vehicle has not been modified other than the rear tires being replaced.
One negative is that the Fuel Cell bladder may not have been changed since the car was new. I'm already prepared to invest in the $700 Glenn's Performance mock Cobra R fuel cell, but my only fear is arriving to see the car and it already has a leak. (I don't want to deal with that problem right away).

Are there any indicators if the vehicle has/had a fuel leak by inspecting the outside of the fuel cell itself, or if the bladder was possibly replaced by the 1st owner? (I have only accounted for the 2nd & 3rd owners of the car).
Any other advice on key things to look for or validate when I go to inspect this car other than the general car buying tips? It's most important to me that this car has not been heavily modified. Indicators are that it is not, but I will do my own due diligence.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
BuckeydeDawg, if the fuel cell is leaking, you’ll smell gas. FYI, my 00R still has its original cell and it does not leak. My car has sat most of its life with very little gas in it. In my opinion, filling the cells to the top contributes to them leaking. Some owners have reported leaks fairly early while others haven’t had leaks ever. I don’t think my tank has ever been full. I usually keep just a couple gallons in it.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the feedback. I may have found a car that fits my criteria (price, originality, condition). Although not a "wrapper" car, I have spoken to the current owner (3rd overall) and previous owner (2nd overall) and both confirm the vehicle has not been modified other than the rear tires being replaced.
One negative is that the Fuel Cell bladder may not have been changed since the car was new.

I'd say that I would never drive a car at speed with two tires that are 23 years old.

I think that you are driving it? Please disregard this if you are storing it.

Are there any indicators if the vehicle has/had a fuel leak by inspecting the outside of the fuel cell itself.....

Yes. it will start leaking fuel from the bladder thru the welding holes in the metal casing. My car was made 3-1-1995. It started leaking fuel 18 years later at a Cars and Coffee event in April, 2013. It was great until I drove to the event, and I then walked around and back to the car to see a puddle of fuel under the car.

My drip failure happened quickly and with no warning. I fixed it quickly with a stock tank (the original tank is stored away).

Like Tom said (above), the car is really fun car to drive. It was built to race so all other parts should last a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread