Comp O coupe, why hasn't it sold?

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
It seems that everybody is always looking for a Competition Orange Terminator. Quite a few folks who want to get into a Terminator don't have the cash money to buy one outright...so some degree of financing is required (even though these cars are almost 15 years old) to make that purchase happen.

Here is a clean, low mileage Terminator in the desirable Competition Orange color that's being offered up at a fairly reputable dealer who can help you get financing, and yet it has been available for months.

2004 Comp O Terminator - Hi-End Auto
43560619822.447381782.IM1.03.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Why hasn't it sold? Cars in this color typically don't last this long on the market. What (besides the "Comp O" tax that all these cars seem to have attached to them) is scaring potential buyers away? Does anyone here know the history of this car?

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Prolly because the motor is not original, as well as solid axle Swap. Doesn't help this time of year either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

s351

Established Member
It's because they want 30k for a car with an sra swap and still has an eaton. Blew the original motor with a sra swap scares a lot of people for good reason. Comp orange isn't anything special I've never understood the deal with it.

2Rare

Against All Odds
Established Member
Rebuilt motor + SRA rear end killed the potential value of this car. Would it have sold for $30k if it was an all original car? Probably, if someone wanted it bad enough and this color demands a premium. It's that CO tax if you will...

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
It's because they want 30k for a car with an sra swap and still has an eaton. Blew the original motor with a sra swap scares a lot of people for good reason. Comp orange isn't anything special I've never understood the deal with it.

lol I beg to differ otherwise why does it bring a premium then? A lot of people like the color and it was a low production one year run.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Because guys with 30g can find better examples for the money. 30g can also put you into a newer and nice GT500.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
lol I beg to differ otherwise why does it bring a premium then? A lot of people like the color and it was a low production one year run.

There less than 100 more Comp O's made than Mineral Grey cars. People pay stupid money for them because on average the Mustang community is really really really dumb. They fall for trends and only go for those things. Comp O is only wanted because for some reason people glorified the pumpkin color. Same thing with teksids, precision turbos, 9 thread Cobra heads and 01 tail lights. These are all things that are just fine but for some reason everyone has to buy them and will spend stupid money on them when other options exist for half the cost.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
There less than 100 more Comp O's made than Mineral Grey cars. People pay stupid money for them because on average the Mustang community is really really really dumb. They fall for trends and only go for those things. Comp O is only wanted because for some reason people glorified the pumpkin color. Same thing with teksids, precision turbos, 9 thread Cobra heads and 01 tail lights. These are all things that are just fine but for some reason everyone has to buy them and will spend stupid money on them when other options exist for half the cost.

Lol it actually looks even better in person. Would love me some 01 tail lights.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Did you use to be Quadcammer? Don't get me wrong, you offer a lot of use information, but damn, it really seems like you don't like the Mustang community. You just called people stupid because they have different taste than you do.

s351

Established Member
I'm just stating facts, low build numbers mean squat to me, it's only special to a certain niche of people, that are obsessed with build #ers. I prefer to drive my car then worry about which build # it is. I'm not saying comp orange isn't a nice color, but I'm not paying a dime extra for the color, I'll take my sonic blue any day over it.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Did you use to be Quadcammer? Don't get me wrong, you offer a lot of use information, but damn, it really seems like you don't like the Mustang community. You just called people stupid because they have different taste than you do.
I'm not calling people dumb for having different tastes, by all means like whatever you want to like. My comment is when people pay stupid amounts of money simply because they are conditioned to think that's like the best thing ever. I personally like the 01 Cobra tailights. But it's "dumb" to me to pay 500 bucks for them.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
I'm not calling people dumb for having different tastes, by all means like whatever you want to like. My comment is when people pay stupid amounts of money simply because they are conditioned to think that's like the best thing ever. I personally like the 01 Cobra tailights. But it's "dumb" to me to pay 500 bucks for them.

I feel the same way about the 01 tails. It is insane to me that they fetch the money they do.

Maybe it is because I do not prefer the amber lenses. I think they look odd on the car.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
800201d1199899680-new-impreza-sticks-road-threaddirection_2zv_pakwheels-com-.jpg

So essentially the SRA and non-factory long block on such a low-mileage car is whats scaring people off?

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I'm just stating facts, low build numbers mean squat to me, it's only special to a certain niche of people, that are obsessed with build #ers. I prefer to drive my car then worry about which build # it is. I'm not saying comp orange isn't a nice color, but I'm not paying a dime extra for the color, I'll take my sonic blue any day over it.

You will pay a premium for that color too.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
800201d1199899680-new-impreza-sticks-road-threaddirection_2zv_pakwheels-com-.jpg

So essentially the SRA and non-factory long block on such a low-mileage car is whats scaring people off?

Yes. If it were the original motor and IRS it would probably be sold. But with low miles and a built motor and IRS it makes people wonder if it had a hard life.

TRBO VNM

I've had 2 CO Terminators. I have no problem with the solid axle or the built motor. I didn't look at the add so I don't know if it has motor specs or anything, but I wouldn't have an issue with the motor as long as I can see documentation and talk to the builder about it.

However, for me, 2 things...I would never pay $30k for one. I paid $32k brand new for my 04 when I bought it. No way would I pay $30k used. I wouldn't pay more than $25k if I was in the market for one and that is even high imo unless it is low miles. The other thing, I don't trust that place. I know many on here have bought from them with great experiences, but I know more than once they have swapped parts from one car to another to please customers and make the sale. Sorry, that won't fly with me.

filthymcnasty

Established Member
I agree with other folks on here that we've all been conditioned to a Pavlovian response when it comes to Competition Orange. But, 30k for this is a little out there if you ask me.

Competition Orange really isn't THAT rare of a color if you look at total Mustang production (V6, GT, Mach 1, Cobra). All four models were produced with this color to the tune of 6,426 total Mustangs for the 2004 model year.

Mystichrome, while a polarizing color (you either love it or hate it), is probably the most rare as it was only offered on the Cobra models. For some reason, these don't have the notoriety that the CO's do.

TRBO VNM

Because the enthusiast doesn't care about the other models. And when people are talking about rare colors or features on a vehicle they aren't looking at every other model. The Terminator isn't just a mustang and if you think it is, you aren't a true enthusiast.

mark23svt

Established Member
There is a low mileage (I believe 18k or so) CO cobra for sale in SA, TX. I believe owner wants 30k. Looks pretty stock with basic boltons, very nice ride but like others have said you must really want CO to pay that price. I myself really like that color but I would pay maybe 25-26 for something like that. Not saying it ain't worth it but for for me my fav color is sonic blue.

Users who are viewing this thread