Considering buying 2012 GT500

maxsimon777

Hi all, I am new here so I appreciate any/all feedback that I might receive. I currently own a 2012 Mustang GT, and am considering purchasing a 2012 GT500. I have found one that has low miles and a fair price. The only concern that I have is it appears to a have an aftermarket supercharger. I believe it is the Ford Racing 750HP upgrade kit (High polish). Should I stray away from a car with an aftermarket blower? Thank you.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Not necessarily. You can find one with a stock blower but that does not mean that they did not have a bigger one on and beat the snot out of it than put the stock blower back on to sell. If it is a ford racing kit on it they tend to fairly safe tunes for it. All depends on how it was taken care of. .

Fast Ford

Established Member
Aftermarket superchargers are certainly OK, I had the black FRPP 2.3 TVS and it made 665 rwhp. Check the entire vehicle throughly and ask about all added bolt-on's. If the car is clean outside, interior, engine bay and underneath, I wouldn't hesitate at all.

MastaAce03

Established Member
Compression, leak down test are needed. If all are well, you'll be good to go. You'll just need to make sure the tune is on point before getting on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxsimon777

Wow thank you guys for all of the responses! I will definitely have it checked out before I purchase it. I feel a lot more at ease now knowing that it isn't a red flag for a car to have an aftermarket blower. Thank you all again.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes just have it checked out by the best shop you know And if they say it's good go for it

Sent from my XT1650 using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Definitely have it checked by a shop or Ford dealer you trust but that FRPP blower kit was high quality and very safe tuning.
I'd personally look at it as a positive as the pre TVS stock blowers are terrible comparatively.
If all checks out and it's been well taken care of, go for it.
-J

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Dealership or private sale ?
Dealership - you want contact info for whoever traded it in, then ask them a thousand questions.
Private sale - documentation, complete, you should be able to answer all your questions, if not, walk away..

maxsimon777

Dealership or private sale ?
Dealership - you want contact info for whoever traded it in, then ask them a thousand questions.
Private sale - documentation, complete, you should be able to answer all your questions, if not, walk away..
It is for sale by a dealership. I will be sure to have it checked out and try to obtain the contact information for the previous owner if possible. Thank you.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
If at a Ford dealer and you can confirm the Ford Racing blower kit was dealer installed, much more comfortable.
If not a Ford dealer, do you have a good Mustang shop locally you could take it to?
Either was run an OASIS report at a Ford dealer, it shows all service history and more that's been done through Ford. Just need the VIN and any Ford dealer should run for free.
Good luck, might get a great upgrade for free as the aftermarket blower usually can be a wash at a dealer valuation vs stock blower.
-J

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Being a relatively new 2012 owner myself, I can agree the comments here are great advice. That price seems high to me with the mileage unless there's a good OASIS report and past owner history of the blower, etc. Even then I think you can find a better deal unless you're stuck on that color.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
For the miles, color combo and year that is a fair price especially being at a dealership. Silver with red is desireable. Sure there are some i have seen for sale 2010-12 can be at a price point of low $30k, but 80% of them have more than 35k miles and are usually stock without the $3-5000 supercharged upgrade like the one in question has.

Although there is a few 13/14 cars that see sub $40k price tag but have "higher miles". That also brings on higher property tax and insurance i am sure.

SirShaun

Established Member
What makes you want to join this league of extraordinary gentlemen? 2012 Mustang GT to 2012 Mustang GT500, isn't much of a change. The rarity, exclusivity, added inches, or the TR-6060?

maxsimon777

What makes you want to join this league of extraordinary gentlemen? 2012 Mustang GT to 2012 Mustang GT500, isn't much of a change. The rarity, exclusivity, added inches, or the TR-6060?
Truth be told, I have always wanted the Shelby. I have a sincere appreciation for the history and legacy of the brand, and I also feel as if it will have a higher value when it comes time to move on to the next one. I just graduated with a degree in Civil Engineering (during my entire college career I promised myself I would own one when I graduated) and I have a good paying job as a bridge engineer.

As for the mechanicals yes I do like the fact it has the TR 6060 and the upgraded supercharger.

SirShaun

Established Member
Truth be told, I have always wanted the Shelby. I have a sincere appreciation for the history and legacy of the brand, and I also feel as if it will have a higher value when it comes time to move on to the next one. I just graduated with a degree in Civil Engineering (during my entire college career I promised myself I would own one when I graduated) and I have a good paying job as a bridge engineer.

As for the mechanicals yes I do like the fact it has the TR 6060 and the upgraded supercharger.

Can't argue with that. Congrats man. You should splurge a little bit more and get the 13-14, as they are the current pinnacle and arguably will be the most sought after. Unless your in it for fun and plan to start modding and making crazy numbers, then any of them will do.

Last edited:

maxsimon777

I want to extend a sincere thank you to all of the individuals who took time to read and provide thoughtful responses to my forum post; I sincerely appreciate every one of them. I became aware that the supercharger in question was in fact installed by a Ford dealer, and that the previous owner is willing to provide me with all service records that he has on the car. I have since purchased the car and will be picking it up tomorrow. Thank you again, and I am sure that I will be posting on this website much more in the future.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Congrats @maxsimon777 ! Silver/Red is one of my 3 fave Shelby combos.

Price was excellent. That supercharger is a Gen2 Whipple 2.9L. Ford contracted Whipple when they wanted a factory big boy kit. Youve got upgraded pumps Ford 50 state calibration and probably most of the power you'll ever need. That Whipple has some potential in it when ever you feel like you want more power.

There are a few of us GT500 owners in AZ now.. We are going to have to put a get together a track day or cruise of some sort. A trip down to Patagonia/Sonoita would be real nice.

Users who are viewing this thread