Cooking with the King: Boston Butt

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
It's just before midnight est, and I have a 7 pound butt im about to throw in the smoker (weber, wood lump). I dry rubbed it a day ago and just fired up the smoker. I'd like to cook it around 200-225 degrees for at least 10 hours. I'm putting a 6 qt dutch oven (cast iron) on the lower rack to use as a drip pan. it has water and apple juice in it. I'll update with pics as I get them.
butt.jpg

CompOrange04

Just livin the dream...
Established Member
I love pork butts and I cannot lie! I've cooked them on my pellet smoker and my ceramic smoker and it's just so hard to beat how my traeger keeps it so juicy! BUTT (no pun intended) the bark I can get using my ceramic smoker does make a difference

KingBlack

Established Member

KingBlack

Established Member
I love pork butts and I cannot lie! I've cooked them on my pellet smoker and my ceramic smoker and it's just so hard to beat how my traeger keeps it so juicy! BUTT (no pun intended) the bark I can get using my ceramic smoker does make a difference

great grill. the only reason i didnt get a pellet is because it needs an electricity to start and turn the hopper. also, i enjoy the simplicity and learning involved with a charcoal/wood lump grill and smoker

if you look under the butt on the grill, you'll see my dutch oven with water/apple juice mix. this is one juicy butt!

20180622_111352.jpg

finished results:

20180622_132629.jpg

now the easy part...giving (most of) it away

RLB01

Established Member
Pellet cookers are cool but they just don't do as good of job as wood(own both).

jaxbusa

Established Member
Looking good. I have that same smoker. You might have it, but mine had a drip pan just under the bottom rack. If you have it, a tip for easy clean up is to line the drip pan with foil.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

KingBlack

Established Member
Looking good. I have that same smoker. You might have it, but mine had a drip pan just under the bottom rack. If you have it, a tip for easy clean up is to line the drip pan with foil.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
I do have the drip pan and it is a total PITA to clean. I added the dutch oven so i wouldn't have to fill the drip pan every hour

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I went the easy route and have an electric smoker. It makes smoking way too easy.

What temp did you smoke it to? Did you try to maintain the smoker at 200 or 225?

Just curious as I smoke at 200 and pull it off at around 170. This is for briskuit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KingBlack

Established Member
I went the easy route and have an electric smoker. It makes smoking way too easy.

What temp did you smoke it to? Did you try to maintain the smoker at 200 or 225?

Just curious as I smoke at 200 and pull it off at around 170. This is for briskuit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it took about an hour to get it stable, but I ran it at 210* for just under 12 hours.

M91196

Established Member
In a Weber Smokey Mountain that’s not a drip pan, it’s a water pan.

Line it with foil inside and out and fill with water!

That’s your throttle.
Random pics of ribs, butts and brisket

2fea7fdad42dbcd00794a86f7ee605c9.jpg

0a82c0fc6446142c407951ab4b74856f.jpg
6e1871ffaee3eb30de1a4476b69b96dc.jpg

d174a6b342ef76fd18de57b2064501ab.jpg

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Man that looks so good! Reminded me that it's time to start grilling! Setting up the deck table/seating tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread